b chord playing

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: b chord playing

Postby 600lbsofSin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 pm

If you can wrap your mind around the CAGED theory, and learn how to apply it, you will learn how basically all chords are the same, just played in different positions around the neck. Here are 6 different ways to play a B maj chord:

x24442 (A form)

x6444x (G form)

xx4477 (G form)

799877 (E form)

xx9(11)(12)(11) (D form)

x(14)(13)(11)(12)(11) (C form)

So essentially, you can move the 5 major open chord shapes all around the neck, and your index finger becomes like a capo, barring the open strings. There are many more possibilities, and it takes a little know-how to apply these shapes most effectively, but I hope this gets you starting to think about the fretboard with a new perspective.

Tommy
600lbsofSin
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: b chord playing

Postby mtjam » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 pm

I used to also hate playing the B barre chord but soon realized if I wanted to play Dead songs I'd better just suck it up. Now I really enjoy this chord and just moving up and down the neck to hit C, D and E gives me more flexibility than open chords. Keep at it, it will happen.
mtjam
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:55 am

Re: b chord playing

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:09 pm

xx9877
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: b chord playing

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:18 pm

tigerstrat wrote:xx9877


speaking of this, it looks like Jerry played the lower part of bar chords a lot, but sometimes he appears to be reaching his thumb around to grab the low e. Is that how he always played bar chords or does it just look that way?
it is sooo much easier for me to play it the regular way :lol:
User avatar
vwjodyme
Senior Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: b chord playing

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 pm

and to the OP; when i play B in open position i just play like a powerchord and use my index finger on second fret A string and lay my ring finger over 4th fret of the rest of the strings, but muting the high E. it's probably cheating but works for me 8)
User avatar
vwjodyme
Senior Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: b chord playing

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:00 pm

I think the OP is a spam-er. pretty sure.

but nothing wrong with a little technique discussion in spite of the spam. CAGED for the win.


But my favorite chord is the C Minor
just kidding i dont play favorite with my chords ; - }
User avatar
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Wash DC

Re: b chord playing

Postby 600lbsofSin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:22 pm

gr8fulbluz wrote:I think the OP is a spam-er. pretty sure.

but nothing wrong with a little technique discussion in spite of the spam. CAGED for the win.


But my favorite chord is the C Minor
just kidding i dont play favorite with my chords ; - }


That would make sense. Im a newb around here, I thought the post seemed strange, but I figured I could spark a useful conversation from it.

oddly enough tho, b chord also posted in the recent R Waters post however, which made me think he was real...
600lbsofSin
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: b chord playing

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:05 am

Yeah, i originally thought it was spam, but clicked the link after people started responding. It actually takes you to a lesson on the correct way to play a b chord...i was waiting for a virus :lol:
User avatar
vwjodyme
Senior Member
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: b chord playing

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:17 am

why fret the whole chord anyway - leave room for the other players
:smile:
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: b chord playing

Postby gr8fulbluz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:59 am

I am probably wrong, just suspicious about the post with the link at the end. But since it is a link to a guitar learning course, what te hay. It could be the most popular course ever. Rock on.

The 'outube account associated with the link seems to be beginner lessons. found here > >basic chordz stuff

so it is good stuff and no worries. And if it sparks a learning discussion here all the better for my fellow heads.
User avatar
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Wash DC

Re: b chord playing

Postby 600lbsofSin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:11 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:why fret the whole chord anyway - leave room for the other players
:smile:


When I figured this out it opened so many new doors. You start to see simple chord progressions as having endless possibilities. I dont really worry about the name of the chord anymore (Bmaj, F#m) its more about what shape I want to try and how I want to use it.

Another interesting thing too is how each shape has different qualities. Like the G form, which has kind of a funk quality. A form is more direct. E form is very confident (and often overused out of lack of knowledge). C and D forms interlace nicely and have a real pretty sound.

Now when you combine these notions you quickly learn how to develop a swirling, energetic jam out of something that once seemed stale. This is one of the big things that got me really in love with the Dead. I realized how much I could learn from them.
600lbsofSin
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: b chord playing

Postby Octal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:40 pm

600lbsofSin wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:why fret the whole chord anyway - leave room for the other players
:smile:


When I figured this out it opened so many new doors. You start to see simple chord progressions as having endless possibilities. I dont really worry about the name of the chord anymore (Bmaj, F#m) its more about what shape I want to try and how I want to use it.

Another interesting thing too is how each shape has different qualities. Like the G form, which has kind of a funk quality. A form is more direct. E form is very confident (and often overused out of lack of knowledge). C and D forms interlace nicely and have a real pretty sound.

Now when you combine these notions you quickly learn how to develop a swirling, energetic jam out of something that once seemed stale. This is one of the big things that got me really in love with the Dead. I realized how much I could learn from them.

Rock guitar players often aren't piano players--funny isn't it?
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: b chord playing

Postby 600lbsofSin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Yea I play a little piano and it definitely keeps me thinking about how tones fit together in interesting ways. It gives you a better understanding of inversions too. I like the metaphor of two guitarists being like the left and right hands of a pianist. When that collective psychic connection forms the music comes to life.

I am starting to scratch the surface of chord substitutions too :cool:
another great way to make things interesting...
600lbsofSin
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 pm


Return to Everything Else

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest