Rolling Stone "greatest guitarist" list

Postby Cmnaround » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:53 am

Seriously?
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: Rolling Stone "greatest guitarist" list

Postby Cmnaround » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:44 am

I guess I should expand a bit on my overall dismay of this kind of crap - although I'm not at all surprised and after many years wouldn't expect anything different from the mainstream current. And this is a good forum to vent in since you all are also subject matter experts.

On several levels Jerry outshines many of the "greatest guitarists".

Technical ability and approach, a solid background in several styles of music, innovation - Jerry's ability to incorporate components from various styles and then organically synthesize a new style. In my opinion, it is Jerry's style that sets him apart from the others on the list. He was also one great band leader, with a very prolific catalog of material, in addition to all of the improvisational material captured from all of the performances.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:05 am

Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... e-19691231

Hey, Jerry made #13 - not bad. I would argue with a lot of their other choices even though this seems to be more of a "most influential" list than a best player list.Angus Young at #96, Randy Rhodes at #85, David Gilmour at #82, Eddie Van Halen at #70, Steve Howe at 69, Les Paul #46, Jimmy Page #9. I think all of those guys should be ranked higher. Jimi is obviously #1 but BB King #3?

I know we all love Jerry and would put him at or near the top of our list but there's a lot of guys who are as good of a player as Jerry or better just in a different style.

My $.02
:cool:
tcsned

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:25 am

^^^^ wrong year ^^^^^
This year he is # 46
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

lol they did this again? I liked this list better when Jerry was #13 but whatever, ranking them in the first place is stupid. The top 10 seems utterly predictable
caspersvapors

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 am

START RANT
I know we all love Jerry and would put him at or near the top of our list but there's a lot of guys who are as good of a player as Jerry or better just in a different style.

Sorry to flame you here, but I am going to heartily disagree with you. THERE ARE NOT A LOT OF GUYS WHO ARE AS GOOD A PLAYER AS JERRY OR BETTER. If you think that Pete Townsend is a better player than Jerry, just watch that ROCKPLAST video, where Pete simply embarrasses himself trying to jam with Jerry. I could do way better.

Jimmy Page has not been seen in public for like all eternity, and must have done a least 3 tours with Led Zep, where they probably did a note for note rendition of the last concert. (Jerry on the other hand played like 4,000 shows) Check out the after midnight from 2-2-80 my latest fav

Hendrix was an amazing player not doubt, changed the way we do things, and what always amazed me about Hendrix was that he only played guitar for like 10 years. Got his first guitar at 15 and was dead at 25 (plus or minus I ain't no expert on hendrix)

Eddie Van Halen is/was a great player, but I am not that fond of the stuff he did with the band Van Halen.

Les Paul is IMHO the most influential electric guitar player of all time, INVENTED THE ELECTRIC GUITAR FOR *** SAKE, was an amazing guitar player, saw him up close and personal several times in NYC, met him, signed my freaking 72 deluxe, was a super nice guy, had his elbow fused in guitar playing position! Invented the mixing board, multi-track recorders and recording, the 8 track player, THE HUMBUCKING PICKUP! Pretty much everything in electric rock and roll music owes great homage to the Great Les Paul. He should be probably #1 on the list. Oh yeah, unlike Jimi Page, Les Paul played in pubic, every week until almost his death at 93 or whatever. You cannot pick up an electric guitar and not thank Les Paul. There is an incredible video called "Les Paul, He Changed the Music" Where BB King, Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmore, and others that I cannot recall, play in homage to Les and Les jams with some of them with no problem. Could sit in with the best of them, could have jammed with the Dead! Chuck Berry for instance is using Les's Humbucking pickups as is Jimi Page.

No credibility here with Jerry and Les not in the top 10.

There simply are not a lot of players that are better than Jerry. Although there are a lot of great players out there.
END OF RANT
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:03 pm

that townsend jam vid was the first thing i thought of when i saw him at #10. if pete is 10, bobby should be 9 :lol:

more rant please :cheers:

*edit - my picture thing changed to bobby after writing that...weird
vwjodyme

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:13 pm

If you are gonna sum Pete's career up with that one show then shame on you
:smile:
And Jim Page was probably the greatest riff writer in Rock history with a extensive resume playing on other bands albums.
Les should be there
These kinds of list are just silly opinions anyway
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:29 pm

my perception of Jerry has always been this:

vastly overrated by dead-heads
vastly underrated by everyone else
caspersvapors

Postby jahozer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 pm

but there are a lot of guys better than Jerry...technically. Yngwie Malmstien, Steve Vai, Buckethead, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins, etc.
I never bothered chasing them around the country, though. The fact that these guys didnt do for me what Jerry did, doesnt make Jerry a TECHNICALLY better player.
Pete Townsend? Jimmy Page? TOTAL HACKS compared to Jerry.
Jerry was a soulful player, knew his theory. was tasteful and had his own immediately recognizable style, but some people cant stand his style, sound, tone, etc.
Me? I love it. But its an acquired taste. its subtle.
Best ever oreven better is just bullshit since its so subjective. Look at all the heads that are all over Jerrys dick, but knock Bobby. Are incensed that he is playing Dead music without Jerry. Go to Furthur and tell me that sound of Phils bombs, and Bobbys eccentric playing is not a part of the sound that we love, but most think was all just Jerry.
Jerry was great, but great is a relative term.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Your Perception:

My perception:
vastly loved but musically underrated rated by most dead-heads
vastly discounted by non deadheads
worshiped as a musical genius, improvisational wizard, and icon of the 60s by those who get him
largely ignored by the masses until his death
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 pm

I won't sum up Pete's whole career by that one embarrassing performance in front of the all great master of improvisation,
but none the less, there was a clear demonstration of who (no pun intended) was the master, and in this case, who was the moron who looked like he could not even play the guitar. (oh yeah, that moron was the 10th best guitar player of all time!)

To give Pete the benefit of the doubt, he might have been dosed. How else could you explain his not being able to even play along to Not Fade Away?
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:20 pm

gr8fullfred wrote:Your Perception:

My perception:
worshiped as a musical genius, improvisational wizard, and icon of the 60s by those who get him

remarks like this

"Pete Townsend? Jimmy Page? TOTAL HACKS compared to Jerry."

are exactly why I have that perception
caspersvapors

Postby jahozer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm

caspersvapors wrote:
gr8fullfred wrote:Your Perception:

My perception:

remarks like this

"Pete Townsend? Jimmy Page? TOTAL HACKS compared to Jerry."

are exactly why I have that perception

This is why these arguments are useless.
Do this: Watch The Song Remains The Same, and actually listen to what Page is doing, and compare it to, Oh I dont know, any of the thousands of recordings that Jerry has. There is no comparison in execution, breadth of style, imagination, etc. Maybe its a bit harsh to call either one of those guys hacks, but the last time I watched TSRTS it was embarrassing. What he did for rock is epic, and he influenced more people probably than Jerry did, but a handful of albums and 3 years of tour cant compare to what Jerry did on an objective level. I dont think Pete Townsend would call himself a virtuoso guitar player, but neither would Jerry. He was a good songwriter, and had a certain style, but then so did Dylan, and he aint on this list for sure. I never understood the praise for Either Jimmy Page or Pete Townsend as guitar gods. Ballsy players, and both influenced me, but I wouldnt put either of them on my list of great players.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Next

Return to Everything Else