Guitars 4 Vets

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Guitars 4 Vets

Postby paulkogut » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Hope all are having a happy Veteran's Day. Anyone looking to give something back to the troops should check out Guitars 4 Vets http://www.guitars4vets.org/
They provide guitar lessons at VA hospitals to help with physical and PTSD rehab. Check out their site to find a local chapter, there's lots of ways to help (Put on a benefit concert, donate an old guitar, teach some lessons, etc) Wave that flag……
paulkogut
Donna
Donna

Re: Guitars 4 Vets

Postby strumminsix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Thank you, Paul! Will look into that.
strumminsix

Postby MAGGOTBRAIN » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 am

Thank you very much for posting this! What a great program. Im making arrangements to donate an unused acoustic to the Cleveland, OH chapter :cool:
MAGGOTBRAIN
tiger
tiger

Postby jahozer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:00 am

Thanks Paul.
I actually live 5 minutes from the Coatesville VA center. I will contact them!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby strumminsix » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:31 am

I emailed them a few days ago and hope to hear back soon!
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am

Good timing Paul! I had just volunteered to teach a few lessons with our local chapter. Music is a great rehab vehicle.
tcsned

Postby jahozer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm

I just placed my first guitar with a vet last night and gave the first lesson. The dude was super stoked. Very rewarding experience. If any of you can do it , I would highly recommend it. Took a while to get into the system (govt forms and whatnot), but definitely a worthwhile experience.

The VA near me is a psych hospital. The guys there are trying to find their way. Some are there for substance abuse, some for PTSD. To give them something to have and hold onto is just really nice.
For me its easy. 5 minutes away, sharing something I love to do anyway. Its no real sacrifice at all. Why not share that with guys that have sacrificed so much.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Everything Else