Martin Bridge Pins

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Martin Bridge Pins

Postby Bear62 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:15 pm

So I just bought a Martin Seth Avett D-35 Custom shop a few months ago From Tobias Music in Downers Grover, IL! Great shop by the way. Super deal on a guitar put on consignment after a regular returned it to buy a D-45. Broke a string today and discovered that the pins a freakin plastic. WTF This guitar sells for over $3K new. Anyway just thought I would see what others thoughts are. I think I will send a note to Martin. Love the guitar, Alpine Bear claw Spruce top Rosewood back and sides w/ Koa wedge on back. Built in Fishman gold PU!

Regards,

Grateful Gregg
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Martin Bridge Pins

Postby Bear62 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tcsned » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:51 am

That's odd that they wouldn't go the extra mile and use ebony pins. You can alway get some or some mammoth/walrus ivory pins. I just went to their website and it looks like every model they have uses plastic pins. :roll:
tcsned

Postby tatittle » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:35 am

I am not surprised, perhaps disappointed. My D-18 Martin has plastic (not as pricey). I cant recall, but I doubt the models of old with real tortoise and whale bone used plastic (probably wasn't available anyway). I prefer organic materials if merely because they have a soulful countenance if you will. Probably very little change in the tone, but discerning ears pickup a lot.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:01 am

Terminology. Plastic is organic (chemically it contains carbon). It's not "natural", but from a chemistry standpoint it would be an organic material.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby DHM » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:22 am

Yeah..I've got a D18GE...and about the third string change that I went "whoa...these are plastic..."

I bought a set of bone pins from Stew Mac...$26...I would guess ebony would be less....it does seem sort of cheesy to use plastic on a $3000 guitar; maybe they concluded it didn't make that much difference.....maybe rather than "organic" or inorganic, the concept is degradable...like wood or bone or even ivory, as opposed to "around virtually unchanged until it gets drawn into the mantle by plate tectonics" like a lot of the plastics we use these days....

Don
DHM
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:36 pm

DHM wrote:"around virtually unchanged until it gets drawn into the mantle by plate tectonics" Don

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agree that plastic pins are cheesy on almost any Martin.

Related:

http://www.beatgearcavern.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71314
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Bear62 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Stew Mac it is then! Saves me a trip to GC. Also, I wanted to buy a set of Med. gauge strings starting at .13. Seem harder to find at music stores these days. Put on the 12's and the G string seems to small for the nut and buzzes when I dig in at 5th or 7th fret. Using Ernie Ball Earthwoods (8--20). They help tone down the low end and accentuate the highs nicely though. What are you using on your D-18GE? Mine came w/ Martin Coated Phosphor Bronze strings that I was just starting to get used to!

G
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Bear62 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Just ordered these:http://tinyurl.com/obxgfvr
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby DHM » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:31 pm

Right now I've got a set of Thomas Vinci 12s on the D18GE......I don't recall if its an 80-20 or a PB set...when I ordered them I got one of each.......the things a boomer even with 12s and they seem easier on my creaky old hands...the bridge pins should be good...
Last edited by DHM on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHM
tiger
tiger

Postby tatittle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 am

I would be careful about leaving .13's on at full tension for long periods of time. That is how mine got its belly I think.

Organic matter, matter that has come from a once-living organism, is capable of decay or the product of decay, or is composed of organic compound.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Return to Everything Else