RUKIND FEST - East Coast Edition

lets the rukind.org users talk about their up and coming gigs

Re: RUKIND FEST - East Coast Edition

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Count me and my small army of Phil & John Kahn basses IN! RUKind Superjam... we have enough resources here to do the job.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby keirweir » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:01 am

I'm in!
keirweir

Postby Grateful Dad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Where is this happening? Has it been decided?

If a site is needed I have a friend who owns a winery in NE PA.

He holds a 2-3 day festival every year in the Summer, has a stage, camping, and plenty of home grown wine.

Another festival would be a good thing for the local economy and I think the locals would embrace it.

I'll contact him if we're in the hunt for a site.

PM me or just reply to this thread.

Dave

:smile:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby tapestry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 pm

I think we could do this. Im talking to a couple of folks who might be able to handle organizing and booking everything.

It would have to be open to the public to cover expenses, but if marketed right, we could gain a bunch of helpful folks and grow this community!

I think the people and ideas that have made this community what it is, is amazing. Bringing this whole ideal to a real live social environment would be awesome. I will put a planbook together. Getting a destination venue is key to the plan.

One of the great ideas I have seen folks post is to have a backline (equipment)stage set up with all the dead gear we can assemble and let everyone take a turn at playing their role with the group. It would be fun to watch and fun to play!

I really like the idea of having workshops to work in groups with folks who really know their chops well and learn how we can all get better at what we do. Jerry Licks with John K. at 11:am saturday morning.... :D Stu Allen's theory class at 2 pm....

DSO has always said that they want DSO to be a continuing evolving band with new players being brought into the fold....this could be a master class for them and us! Ok now im getting crazy!

Lets stick to finding a venue, figuring out a time and getting folks to come. Ill report back with more info soon. Feel free to keep adding ideas and suggestions! :cool:
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mttourpro » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:37 am

Grateful Dad wrote:Where is this happening? Has it been decided?

If a site is needed I have a friend who owns a winery in NE PA.

He holds a 2-3 day festival every year in the Summer, has a stage, camping, and plenty of home grown wine.

Another festival would be a good thing for the local economy and I think the locals would embrace it.

:smile:

I would be into that too! Count me in if it happens there.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 am

workshop ideas:
speaker cab building with JBoy
wiring with waldo
guitar building/planning with any of the builders on the site
vwjodyme

Postby FretfulDave » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 am

not that I would go or be welcome but the main thing that strikes me about the overall idea is you all would be bringing a lot of very expensive equipment. I would think about security and how you would keep items from being stolen or otherwise disappearing, especially if open to the general public. Only talking about security for the gear here :wink:

Just an unwanted $0.02.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby gr8fulbluz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 pm

While I am not putting down the ideas here I would think something smaller might be more do-able.
Bear- with me here

Say having an all acoustic camping trip blow out weekend? Low stress no preformance or chops necessary
Or different idea
A small venue where we could have a bunch of us just to try out and check out gear, generally a meet and greet with toys.
Hell, selfishly I would love to see some of you guys play my Carvin, play it a lot better than me I might add. My guitar would love to met someone with real chops :twisted:
I am thinking like a basement below a parking garage, nuthing fancy ya see.

As a start it might be a good idea to start small. Then do it annually. so we can plan on it.

That being said, I love the ideas. I sort of remember doing a deadhead gathering in a field in florida near orlando back in 88 or 89? certainly before 89. I dont remember the band name, Grapefruit head? no matter. Good times.
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 pm

then that brings us back to:

How big is your backyard?

:lol:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby ugly rumor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:49 pm

which is why nothing ever really gets done. No dedication to accomplishing the objectives. I guess the conversation is as good as the deed. There are a lot ofreasons to fail, and just as many to succeed. Which ones do you want to concentrate on?
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby phpbb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:23 am

My backyard is in Boulder, and we've got some great venue options for pulling this off in both Denver and Boulder. We do have a non-profit that has been saving the money generated from this site to put towards an event just like this. We can also raid the rukind vault for pedals, speakers, etc for the workshops. I am willing to lead the initiative, but it would be easiest for me if it were a Colorado thing. DSO and Furthur are always traveling through here too, not that we can get them to help us, but it certainly would be fun to head to Red Rocks for a show after a day of workshops, wouldn't it? I also think it would be a great opportunity to help the Rex Foundation or some other relevant non profit if we could.
phpbb

Postby Grateful Dad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:26 am

FretfulDave wrote:not that I would go or be welcome but the main thing that strikes me about the overall idea is you all would be bringing a lot of very expensive equipment. I would think about security and how you would keep items from being stolen or otherwise disappearing, especially if open to the general public. Only talking about security for the gear here :wink:

Just an unwanted $0.02.

Dave

Very good point indeed my friend.

Maybe if we limited camping tickets to rukind members and their guests, and have everyone register, we could control the size of the event, and issue day passes for the general public and camping passes.

FWIW during the wine festivals my buddy did have a good security crew handling logistics (parking, tickets, general crowd control only if necessary).

But you are correct Dave, equipment security is always a concern at an event like this and worth trying to find a solution to. I will talk to my friend who has the winery and discuss ideas. He always has had bands at his festivals. My old band, The Juggs, played up there a couple of times and we had no problem with equipment security or theft. It is very rural where the winery is so that helps with crowd control so only the people who are motivated to go are going to make the trip. Judging from the way we all reacted when the Moriarity Wolf was stolen, I think we have a tight group who will look out for each other.

However....

I suggest old time justice for offenders: Anyone caught stealing will be publicly flogged at the whipping post, put in the pillory, and become fodder for public mocking and ridicule.

:smile: :smile:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby Chuckles » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Grateful Dad wrote:I suggest old time justice for offenders: Anyone caught stealing will be publicly flogged at the whipping post, put in the pillory, and become fodder for public mocking and ridicule.

Maybe we should do it at a RenFest then? :lol:

But seriously folks... this would be great. The logistics are a bitch though; I'm trying to organize something local down here with my and two other bands for a fundraiser and it's really hard just settling on a date we can all make. Inevitably, some folks won't be able to make it. That said, just based on locations of most of us, somewhere in PA makes a lot of sense.

I don't know about workshops and swap meets and all (which would be a lot of fun and informative), but it would definitely be cool to have a couple of days of music with some of the bands that really adhere closely to the Dead's lineup and sound lead the charge with maybe the rest of us sitting in for a set or something. For example (and this is random selection), if Playing Dead, Fennario, Stella Blues Band, The Cause, Shakedown or whomever served as the "lead" bands, then folks who play in bands that are Dead-oriented and players who would love to play in that type of group but don't have a completely head-filled local lineup (like The Road, for example) or can't bring their whole band could jam with them. The fun is in the making of the music rather than being concerned about the authenticity of the output at that point (don't recall another "Jerry" sitting in with GD or JGB, y'know?), but it would be within the framework of the way the tunes were originally done. We could also have separate GD and JGB sets with Legion of Jerry, Garcia Project and Don't Let Go leading those sets.

As far as getting a "headliner", I suspect that Furthur and DSO are pretty much out of the picture. And, there are other acts that don't really participate here like Splintered Sunlight that might or might not want in; the question is, do we want to limit this to RUK members? But, it might be worth the invite to see if maybe John K might be willing to play with his local band, or maybe get Melvin and JGB to play to but a bow on it all.

I'm very excited about the possibilities. Hope we can make this happen!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby NashvilleMike » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:49 am

First of all I will be there.
Second, maybe a hotel nearby could be used for workshops, demos, instuction etc...If you bundle guest rooms and a couple meeting rooms it can be pretty affordable, esp. for a slow weekend when they are empty anyway. We wouldn't have to drag and secure gear in the woods and if it rains we would have a space. Not mention the whole bed and shower thing appeals to me. Maybe find an offsite venue where the bands can crank it up.
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby jahozer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:40 am

Hey guys,
I already have a fest in the works on August 20, in Downingtown PA. It is a benefit to fight polycystic kidney disease, a cause very close to me and my family. It is a campout, for Saturday into Sunday. We already have other bands, but I am probably going to add bands for Friday night. That may be a great slot for an RUKIND superjam. Our band Honey Juice headlines it on Saturday, but I am willing to work something out with workshops, and would love to have you guys in on it as well.
It is held on a 600 acre summer camp.
There is tons of outdoor and indoor space available and the logistics are already worked out. Could use some volunteering help of course, but its already a done deal!
Please dont read this as spam, but it just seems like synchronicity has reared its cosmic head once again and I am open to ideas!
we are at http://www.honeyfest.org
Let me know what y'all think.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

PreviousNext

Return to member's gigs and live music dates