Stella Blue's Band - Help! - "correction" of 'hot' recording

Stella Blue's Band - Help! - "correction" of 'hot' recording

Postby Billbbill » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 am

So our gig last thursday went well - 1st at this venue and they want us back soon on a saturday - 'tis a good thing.

Unfortunately our recording of it was waaaay hot - ranging from the track below to just about unlistenable. Serious distortion - I used cool edit on the track below - just using the normalizing function, dropping it down to 80%. Prior to that the left and right channels were virtually blocked solid - the entire default visable frequency range. I'm not much of an audio guy but my sense is there ain't a whole lot I can do. Near the end of both mississippi and franklins, when we get a bit rowdy, is where it's most noticeable though its also so a bit noticeable on the vocals. Don't play it too loud on your speakers until you listen a bit - After the rio grandio part is where we get a bit rowdy on miss. On the good side I think I sang better here than at our first gig. :smile:

The recording is just L & R channels, ostensibly from a board feed where everything was miked - you wouldn't know from listening - and the mix leaves a lot to be desired. I've listened to this particular track on headphones about 4 or 5 times and I notice what I've noticed through listening to poor quality bootlegs; you seem to be able to pick stuff out better, thus it 'sounds' better after listening a number of times - or is it just me! :lol:

We were asleep at the wheel (cough, CLAY! cough, cough) in terms of monitoring the levels. Recording w/ one of them there zoom doohickies. In Clays defense he was singing back-up and playing the congas - which incidently are really THERE at times!

Also if this were the worst of it what are your thoughts on posting the portions that are no worse than this? The perfectionist in me says bag it but the 'archivist' in me is unapologetic and non-negotiable. So I'm in a bind. I'd obviously have to clear it through the rest of the guys as well - worst case I do it for myself I suppose - any feedback is welcome - PLEASE!!! tehe

http://www.archive.org/download/StellaB ... s2_vbr.mp3
Billbbill

Re: Stella Blue's Band - Help! - "correction" of 'hot' recording

Postby astroman99 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:09 am

vocals ...very good,
instruments...adequate
good start
keep playing
astroman99

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 am

I like the playing! You guys sound good, music-wise!

The recording, not so much. To me, even that is unlistenable, useful only as a tool for self-critique. And you are correct... there's no way to fix that recording.

What I can offer you is some Zoom H2 advice for next time, since I had one for a year and really struggled with this exact same problem for the first few months.

The trick to the Zoom is knowing that it's very easy to overdrive the input of it with either the internal mics or the line in, this distortion happens before the level setting, and the display on the front will look as if you're well within safe levels. You can end up with a wildly distorted recording at like -50 DB and never know anything is wrong until you play it back. In mixing board terms it's as if they gave you a fader, but no gain control!

The simple solution is to turn down the aux send on your mixing board. In my case it was a house system and the soundman was unable to change the output for some reason. Luckily this was a weekly gig so I had a great chance to do some trial-and-error experimentation.

My solution, which has worked very well, was to go to Radio Shack and buy something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... ccessories - a headphone extension cable with an inline passive volume pot. This lets you reduce the level before the signal even gets to the Zoom. You can then set the Zoom to the highest level and you'll see by the display if you're getting a clean signal.

Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Bill, are you looking to fix this recording? I've never been able to edit out clipping.
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I like the playing! You guys sound good, music-wise!

The recording, not so much. To me, even that is unlistenable, useful only as a tool for self-critique. And you are correct... there's no way to fix that recording.

What I can offer you is some Zoom H2 advice for next time, since I had one for a year and really struggled with this exact same problem for the first few months.

The trick to the Zoom is knowing that it's very easy to overdrive the input of it with either the internal mics or the line in, this distortion happens before the level setting, and the display on the front will look as if you're well within safe levels. You can end up with a wildly distorted recording at like -50 DB and never know anything is wrong until you play it back. In mixing board terms it's as if they gave you a fader, but no gain control!

The simple solution is to turn down the aux send on your mixing board. In my case it was a house system and the soundman was unable to change the output for some reason. Luckily this was a weekly gig so I had a great chance to do some trial-and-error experimentation.

My solution, which has worked very well, was to go to Radio Shack and buy something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... ccessories - a headphone extension cable with an inline passive volume pot. This lets you reduce the level before the signal even gets to the Zoom. You can then set the Zoom to the highest level and you'll see by the display if you're getting a clean signal.

thanks Scoobs - I will keep this in mind when we try to rec from the board with zoom ....
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Billbbill » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 pm

astroman99 wrote:vocals ...very good,
instruments...adequate
good start
keep playing

Well very good is seldom used in a sentence referencing my vocals so I'll take that and run! I'd like to think our playing was better than 'adequate' and maybe the lousy mix and quality are to blame - but 'tis cool either way.

Thanks Rusty - we're getting it together - yea I figured the recording was beyond help though it certainly sounds a lot worse at work coming through the speaker built into my dell monitor. Didn't seem to be nearly as much distortion on my home setup.

Thanks for the tips too - I'll pass them onto the 2 guys who are somewhat more knowledgeable about the thing than me.

I think I'll be editing this one for my own collection.

Yes ss - and I think you're right.
Billbbill

Postby EMF » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Bill's just being humble, he's a good singer. I attended the gig last week and thought Stella Blue's Band did a great job. my friends and I caught the first set and it was a good old classic set list and the band was tight. we all enjoyed them and I'm not surprised they got invited back. sorry to hear about the recording cause you guys sounded great in the room.
EMF
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Billbbill » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:05 am

EMF wrote:Bill's just being humble, he's a good singer. I attended the gig last week and thought Stella Blue's Band did a great job. my friends and I caught the first set and it was a good old classic set list and the band was tight. we all enjoyed them and I'm not surprised they got invited back. sorry to hear about the recording cause you guys sounded great in the room.

Hey, thanks for the support bud! You've been elected to start the fan club! :P
Billbbill

Postby EMF » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 am

I'll get right on it
EMF
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Return to Tapers Section