Sting with the Dead

Sting with the Dead

Postby Naataanii » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Trying to find a recording I beleive in either 92 0r 93 at Soilder Field, Chicago of Jerry coming out and playing with Sting during Fields of Gold. Any help would be appreciated.

Spencer
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

Re: Sting with the Dead

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Naataanii wrote:Trying to find a recording I beleive in either 92 0r 93 at Soilder Field, Chicago of Jerry coming out and playing with Sting during Fields of Gold. Any help would be appreciated.

Spencer

It was Soldier '93, and I believe the song was "Tea In The Sahara".
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby NashvilleMike » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Fucking Sting, he sucks so much it hard to find the words. Worst thing the Dead ever did. Fucking Sting...I can't stand him. :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :x :twisted:

sorry Sting brings out the very worst in me.
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby bodiddley » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Wow. Don't hold back. Too bad. I love him...in a non gay way of course.
bodiddley

Postby willmusic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

I like him alright too. I mean I like the Police way more, but melodically his stuff is ok. Can't fault a guy for turning into smiley/frowny ass-flogging Satan over him either tho!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby willmusic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:36 pm

willmusic wrote:I like him alright too. I mean I like the Police way more, but melodically his stuff is ok. Can't fault a guy for turning into smiley/frowny ass-flogging Satan over him either tho!

I think I just figured out what I'm gonna be for Halloween!! Thanks!!!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:38 am

I actually dont mind Sting, (and wasnt Branford Marsalis a member of his band at one point in the late 80's early 90's? Good enough for Branford, good enough for me :hail: ) but the adverse reaction here made me laugh because it brought back memories of that summer tour. All my tour buddies on that tour used to call him "Stin(k)" As in: "What time is Stink's set over so I can go into the stadium?"

In addition to Tea in the Sahara I believe Jer also sat in on Walking on the Moon. (I like that song)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:45 am

jeffm725 wrote:
In addition to Tea in the Sahara I believe Jer also sat in on Walking on the Moon. (I like that song)

I seem to remember that in the late 80's .... ? The tour with 10,000 Maniacs and Violent Femmes ...
I remember seeing a documentary on Sting .... the band he had at the time was living in house recording an album ....he was trying to remember one of his tunes on bass ... he couldn't remember it and his bass guy had to show him ,.....
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm

The Police were good. Sting, I am not fond of. Or Brandford, for that matter. Seriously... he's like Kenny G but black.

I was just reading in McNally's book about how Jerry and Phil taught the original Warlocks to jam after seeing Coltrane. The big man would be rolling in his Giant Stepping grave over them playing with Sting.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:The Police were good. Sting, I am not fond of. Or Brandford, for that matter. Seriously... he's like Kenny G but black.

.............oooh provocative....DUCK!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Hah! :lol: Look out! It's friday, and I'm not pulling any punches today. :lol: I don't care how many Branford-lovers there are out there, or that the band finally played better when he came around.

If it helps, I like his brother a lot less. :mad: :twisted:

Poor guy... we've totally trashed his thread. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Kadlecik & I used to do "Walking In Your Footsteps"- actually that cover was a holdover from his Hairball Willy days. Good jamming song.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jdsmodulus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:12 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Kadlecik & I used to do "Walking In Your Footsteps"- actually that cover was a holdover from his Hairball Willy days. Good jamming song.

I have a video of Hairball doing that tune. It was very good. I also saw many of the Sting/Dead shows and liked them very much. Sting is a really great singer and bass player. But the sets were very much the same!
jdsmodulus

Postby Emoto » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:47 am

Saw Stink once on his dream of the blue turtles(?) tour. I had been given free tickets. As much as I found the writing clever and the musicianship excellent, he bored the hell out of me.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Return to Tapers Section