anybody heard of this?

anybody heard of this?

Postby NashvilleMike » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 pm

I heard tale of a tape when they played "The race is on" and BW messed it up and I was told that after the song you can hear JG say "Jesus Weir" and Bob reply "you guys fuck up too".

Any confirmation? Date?
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Re: anybody heard of this?

Postby strumminsix » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Hmmm, would like to hear that.

It's funny that Jerry would get super pissed about mistakes in the early days then was one of the more frequent mistake makers in the latter days.
strumminsix

Postby EsteemedLocomotive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Jerry talks about pushing grabbing Bobby and pushing him after what he considered a "sub-par" preformancs in an interview. I thing is an extra on the DVD for The Grateful Dead Movie, and if not than it has to be the DVD for closing of Winterland. One or the other, either way its funny to hear Jerry talking about being aggressive and wound up and violent in that shrill little voice of his.
"I forget what happened after that... Oh yeah I remember! Right, right after that running down the beach, a pack of germean shepherds chased by a mad sea serpent that had crawled out of the..." -Weir 12/18/73
EsteemedLocomotive
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby deadguise » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Jerry talks about pushing grabbing Bobby and pushing him after what he considered a "sub-par" preformancs in an interview

Are you sure he wasn't talking about Phil? Jerry just wanted to fire Bobby once in the early days...
deadguise

Postby Scott Bardolf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 am

Never heard that exchange, but I believe it!

As far as Jerry getting physical, it was Phil who he pushed down a small flight of stairs, and Weir was fired along with Pigpen, but Bobby just wouldn't except that and never left. I believe David Nelson was next in line for the job?
Scott Bardolf
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NashvilleMike » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:35 am

Scott Bardolf wrote:and Weir was fired along with Pigpen, but Bobby just wouldn't except that and never left. I believe David Nelson was next in line for the job?

I never heard that. I thought Pig wasn't so much fired as he just faded away and played with them less and less.

Can anyone elaborate on Weir getting canned and how did he come back from that?
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:50 am

NashvilleMike wrote:

I never heard that. I thought Pig wasn't so much fired as he just faded away and played with them less and less.

That and dying didnt help.
NashvilleMike wrote:
Scott Bardolf wrote:
Can anyone elaborate on Weir getting canned and how did he come back from that?

I always heard he got back in when he wrote Sugar Mag - not sure if this is true .....
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jonarobb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:04 pm

It's in many books the story about Weir and Pig being asked to consider stepping aside so the band could move forward in a new direction. This would be round the summer of 1968. The band obviously reconsidered. Weir buckled down around this time and got away from all of his basic open position stuff to satisfy Phils complaint that he just wasn't a good guitar player. The issue with Pig was that the band didn't want to be pigeon-holed into just being a blues/jug band. By the end of 68' everyone made nice-nice, TC and Hart were in the band full time, and they all pushed forward as one big happy family....

There are a string of shows from the late summer of 68 on without Weir and Pig. They were billed as Mickey and the Hartbeats. A number of other guitarists would sit in the classic rhythm guitar spot. One can only speculate that Garcia put the Kabash on the whole thing. Although those Heartbeat shows are unique and exciting, they lacked any real depth. There's a real turning point in the way the Dead "jammed" around the end of 1968. This can be directly linked to Weir woodshedding his chops with Garcia. Weir is often thought of as self taught, and in a sense he is, but Garcia spent ample time with him shaping his playing to compliment his own. By 1969 this really flowered...
jonarobb

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:25 pm

jonarobb wrote:It's in many books the story about Weir and Pig being asked to consider stepping aside so the band could move forward in a new direction. This would be round the summer of 1968. The band obviously reconsidered. Weir buckled down around this time and got away from all of his basic open position stuff to satisfy Phils complaint that he just wasn't a good guitar player. The issue with Pig was that the band didn't want to be pigeon-holed into just being a blues/jug band. By the end of 68' everyone made nice-nice, TC and Hart were in the band full time, and they all pushed forward as one big happy family....

There are a string of shows from the late summer of 68 on without Weir and Pig. They were billed as Mickey and the Hartbeats. A number of other guitarists would sit in the classic rhythm guitar spot. One can only speculate that Garcia put the Kabash on the whole thing. Although those Heartbeat shows are unique and exciting, they lacked any real depth. There's a real turning point in the way the Dead "jammed" around the end of 1968. This can be directly linked to Weir woodshedding his chops with Garcia. Weir is often thought of as self taught, and in a sense he is, but Garcia spent ample time with him shaping his playing to compliment his own. By 1969 this really flowered...

I got some of the practices for the HartBeats w/ David Crosby. I really love that period for D.Crosby. Where his writing was ...They def. had some decent chemistry but glad Bob made it back ....Its a cool little side trip though.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Chuckles » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Yeah... there were a series of "David and the Dorks" shows with Garcia, Crosby, Hart and Lesh in Dec '70. I only have 12/15/70 @ the Matrix left in my collection, but it is pristine - if you like listening to Jerry trying to teach Crosby the chords to
Bertha for like 20 minutes... pretty fun stuff tho.

Set 1 - rehearsal

01 Alabama Bound
02 Eight Miles High
03 Cowboy Movie
04 Wall Song
05 Bertha
06 Bird Song

Set 2 - show

01 Drop Down Mama
02 Cowboy Movie
03 Triad
04 Wall Song
05 Bertha
06 Deep Elem Blues
07 Motherless Children
08 Laughing
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby EsteemedLocomotive » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:50 pm

deadguise wrote:
Jerry talks about pushing grabbing Bobby and pushing him after what he considered a "sub-par" preformancs in an interview

Are you sure he wasn't talking about Phil? Jerry just wanted to fire Bobby once in the early days...

oh oops your right! :D My sisters husband was just telling me today he had gotten a copy of David Crosby with memebers of the Dead, said he'd send me a copy, I'm pretty sure its what you guys are talking about here.
"I forget what happened after that... Oh yeah I remember! Right, right after that running down the beach, a pack of germean shepherds chased by a mad sea serpent that had crawled out of the..." -Weir 12/18/73
EsteemedLocomotive
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby NashvilleMike » Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

NashvilleMike wrote:I heard tale of a tape when they played "The race is on" and BW messed it up and I was told that after the song you can hear JG say "Jesus Weir" and Bob reply "you guys fuck up too".

Any confirmation? Date?

I found it!! Check out the Warfield 10/02/80. It was actually after "To lay me down" which followed "The race is on" I didn't hear the exact quote I posted originally but Weir sings one to many "to lay me downs" while JG is closing and all hell breaks loose on stage with several F bombs being thrown around. Funny and disturbing at the same time. So I guess they are just like people...huh!
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Dozin » Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 am

"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby old man down » Tue May 26, 2009 8:31 am

I'm reading What a Long Strange Trip right now. The one thing I'm coming away with, that I never would have suspected ahead of time, is that Weir may well have been the least liked guy in the group. McNally, time and again, just by the way he phrases stuff, puts Weir down. Things like Weir getting into a scuffle with Bill, and all that a crew member does to intervene is place his shoe between Bob's head and the pavement, almost like he wants to see Bob get his ass kicked, but not get seriously injured. Mention of Weir's always being late to airline flights, but phrasing it with a lot of suspense to drive home the point of Bob's being such a predictable misfit. Hunter's eventual refusal to write songs for Bob and literally telling Barlow, "He's all yours!" (or something to this effect) His being kicked out of the band. Haven't gotten to it yet, but it will come up, the deliberate turning down of Weir's vocals by the soundboard guy.

Then, from a JDarks YouTube, Darks makes mention of the fact that Jerry and Bob never really hung out together like you would think they would, their being the front men, the main vocalists and guitarists. That they weren't "buds."

And now this on stage blow up of singing too many verses, and Weir getting sworn at.

I'm getting the feeling that Bob irked everyone. Even to this day, wasn't there, until this last tour, a serious falling out between Weir and Lesh that lasted years?
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby RiverRat » Tue May 26, 2009 12:06 pm

old man down wrote:Even to this day, wasn't there, until this last tour, a serious falling out between Weir and Lesh that lasted years?

You might be referring to the rift between Phil and the organization regarding the archive.org fiasco that preceded the Rhino deal and the monetizing of the vault.

Or the Doug Irwin guitar fiasco...

or... I'm sure there were other bones of contention.

as the quote says "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."
RiverRat

Next

Return to Tapers Section