Burning a CD form 24-bit WAV files with Nero?

Re: Burning a CD form 24-bit WAV files with Nero?

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:09 am

RiverRat wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:24 bit or higher is useful for DVD audio and the like. If you are not playing them back at their original bit rate via a high end player then it is an excercise in futility.

Modern mastering demands 24 bit since the quest today is push everything to get as close to the 0dB ceiling and still have some semblance of dynamic headroom. 16 bit doesn't offer enough gradation to push a signal to the absolute limit and have a program with peaks and valleys...

The bit depth transform is less of an issue than the sample rate transform.

One other thing... now I know who sourced 9/23 & 9/24/72!!!

shhh....... :smile: .........there are a ton of my original sources out there, it is fun putting something out there for the first time, and then watch them spread like wildfire. I had a good connection into the vault back in the day and there was a pattern to the vault reaeses to traders. Usually Gans would pick stuff out for his GD hour show and play select cuts from a certain show. Once he did that, the rest of the show (the entire show) would be leaked to the traders.
It is harder to do now a days since everything is almost all already out there but 10 years ago when I was doing a ton of DAT to computer transfers and putting them up on ETREE ftp servers, we thought we were (and I guess we were) cutting edge. In 1998 when etree was just starting I was still on dial up, it would take 4 straight days to upload a single show that was .shn'd. Now at work I have a 2 MB yes that is MB not Mb, per sec upstream with a 15 MB downstream. I can up a show in 15 minutes.

I think my best received seed was 5/12/81.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:13 am

jeffm725 wrote:shhh....... :smile: .........there are a ton of my original sources out there, it is fun putting something out there for the first time, and then watch them spread like wildfire. I had a good connection into the vault back in the day and there was a pattern to the vault reaeses to traders. Usually Gans would pick stuff out for his GD hour show and play select cuts from a certain show. Once he did that, the rest of the show (the entire show) would be leaked to the traders.
It is harder to do now a days since everything is almost all already out there but 10 years ago when I was doing a ton of DAT to computer transfers and putting them up on ETREE ftp servers, we thought we were (and I guess we were) cutting edge. In 1998 when etree was just starting I was still on dial up, it would take 4 straight days to upload a single show that was .shn'd. Now at work I have a 2 MB yes that is MB not Mb, per sec upstream with a 15 MB downstream. I can up a show in 15 minutes.

You couldn't have been that cool, you didn't upload any shows to MY servers... :lol:
I remember just how fast and furious things went back then... Matt Vernon use to average mailing me 3 bubble paks a week, the only reason he snailed them was because the pipe was jammed. I had 10 public and 15 private login slots and the 2 servers ran continously for 3 years. My MRTG stats for 2002 showed that I upped around a petabyte of data just from the seed server I ran! The public server did about the same and no one was none the wiser until a BGP failover and the 2nd pipe was saturated.
RiverRat

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 am

RiverRat wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:shhh....... :smile: .........there are a ton of my original sources out there, it is fun putting something out there for the first time, and then watch them spread like wildfire. I had a good connection into the vault back in the day and there was a pattern to the vault reaeses to traders. Usually Gans would pick stuff out for his GD hour show and play select cuts from a certain show. Once he did that, the rest of the show (the entire show) would be leaked to the traders.

You couldn't have been that cool, you didn't upload any shows to MY servers... :lol:
I remember just how fast and furious things went back then... Matt Vernon use to average mailing me 3 bubble paks a week, the only reason he snailed them was because the pipe was jammed. I had 10 public and 15 private login slots and the 2 servers ran continously for 3 years. My MRTG stats for 2002 showed that I upped around a petabyte of data just from the seed server I ran! The public server did about the same and no one was none the wiser until a BGP failover and the 2nd pipe was saturated.

wow,. very cool ray, Etree was humming back then......................no joke about the full pipes. You could set your retries for every 30 seconds and sometimes not get into a public server for MONTHS!

which were your servers? i still remember all the originals!
No,I wouldnt have upped to you, pretty much because of the full pipes. I had an "exclusivity" deal with 2 fast etree servers. Tol.etree.org and sativa.etree.org. All my uploads started there first, then they would seed the rest. Long before archive.org we had an agressive initiative at TOL to get complete years up there. We had a ton of shit up there. HE was in sweden with MEGA bandwidth and mega servers.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 pm

jeffm725 wrote:
RiverRat wrote:

wow,. very cool ray, Etree was humming back then......................no joke about the full pipes. You could set your retries for every 30 seconds and sometimes not get into a public server for MONTHS!

which were your servers? i still remember all the originals!
No,I wouldnt have upped to you, pretty much because of the full pipes. I had an "exclusivity" deal with 2 fast etree servers. Tol.etree.org and sativa.etree.org. All my uploads started there first, then they would seed the rest. Long before archive.org we had an agressive initiative at TOL to get complete years up there. We had a ton of shit up there. HE was in sweden with MEGA bandwidth and mega servers.

Do you remember the story about two IT consultants that had stuffed a server up into a clients drop ceiling and hosted select shows from the server for a couple years?

That wasn't ME... :lol:

I had 3 separate servers... thephilzone, philzone and ratsnest.etree.org. At the peak, I had 40 different seeders collecting P&F shows and and we hit 98% complete for the Phil solo stuff from 1994-2002. all of what is online from that era at archive.org for Phil shows originated from my servers (and that includes every P&F show on your DB.etree page!). All my announce posts were done under the Rat moniker.

tol and shakedown were the two servers I hit regularly for shows outside Phil or TOO... but i remember sky, sativa, rowjimmy and quite a few others. Brad Hamilton (no relation to G&D), Matt Vernon, Mike Lai, Jeff Kempka were all contributors to the P&F cause. I only made select shows available to the public logins as a way to keep demand down but I made everything available to siteops for mirroring. For a while, I was the only server offering seeds via ftp and p2p via Furthurnet, this was the hit on bandwidth that caused management to change their position on my hosting there. I went offline in 2003 rather abruptly, I had over a terabyte of shn archived and downloadable to siteops and seeders. I switched over to furthurnet for a while and hung tight seeding on there thru 2005.

Wren, MKW and quite a few others are on facebook, I have exchanges with Wren every now and then.

I still wear this to every gig, I'm surprised you've never noticed. The etree version of the stealie belt buckles, Lai had these made up around 2001 and only about 100 existed:
RiverRat

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:04 pm

huh, small world.....totally remember phil zone........and I do remember the drop ceiling story, I wonder who those guys were! :shock: .......yup you were rolling all the phil, I remember tellling chris at sativa to grab stuff off there for me, because I couldnt get on.
That was a fun time. Was a great community back then.
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 am

hey ray..........

9/23/72's ears must have been ringing.............look what source of mine showed up on bt.etree this morning.......

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=531588
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Yup and I will be up in Worcester doing a double bill with Fennario :smile:
ru you going to CT this weekend?
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 am

RiverRat wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:Yup and I will be up in Worcester doing a double bill with Fennario :smile:
ru you going to CT this weekend?

ahhh... that's right. The incestuous melting pot in action! :lol:

No... I will not be doin' CT or any other gigs in the near future, we had the baby last monday! I'll be partying with my new little rock star at home for the next few months.

Wow Congrats Ray! That's aswesome!
Your first?
We want details?! Name and weight.etc....

You still got time to work on the amp, if I ever figure out a way to clear a few hours to get it up there?
jeffm725

Postby RiverRat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:58 am

RiverRat

Previous

Return to Tapers Section