Burning a CD form 24-bit WAV files with Nero?

Burning a CD form 24-bit WAV files with Nero?

Postby Emoto » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi guys,

I DL'd a nice MOTB show that is in 24-bit and Nero doesn't want to burn it to CD. It gives me a generic error message about maybe there is a plug-in.

Do you guys know what I need to do to get 24-bit files to burn to CD?

Thanks!

Bob
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Re: Burning a CD form 24-bit WAV files with Nero?

Postby BluesDaddy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:16 am

Emoto wrote:Hi guys,

I DL'd a nice MOTB show that is in 24-bit and Nero doesn't want to burn it to CD. It gives me a generic error message about maybe there is a plug-in.

Do you guys know what I need to do to get 24-bit files to burn to CD?

Thanks!

Bob

Check this out, it should help.
"I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."
BluesDaddy
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Emoto » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:54 pm

thanks!
Emoto

Postby KCJones » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 am

Here's a interesting article on 16 vs. 24 bit recording. Pros/cons, perceived vs. real benefits, etc.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby Emoto » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:37 am

Cool site. Thanks.

Still haven't found a way to convert this 24-bit stuff I have to 16...
Emoto

Postby KCJones » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:01 am

OK, to help solve your problem. Try this. I use this Free WAV editing software in my studio. Its called WavePad. Just load your file and then resave it into whatever format/bit/sample rate you want. Supports sample rates from 6000 to 96000Hz, stereo or mono, 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits. I think it might get you where you want to be.
Yes it is completely free, but the free part has limited features, but includes the file conversion feature. Just pay attention when you download it so you don't download all this additional "trial" software. I think you get the full WavePad initailly then it defaults to the basic after a time period. Its a great simple free wav editor program

Good luck, let me know how you make out.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html#101
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Postby Emoto » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:59 am

KCJones wrote:OK, to help solve your problem. Try this. I use this Free WAV editing software in my studio. Its called WavePad. Just load your file and then resave it into whatever format/bit/sample rate you want. Supports sample rates from 6000 to 96000Hz, stereo or mono, 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits. I think it might get you where you want to be.
Yes it is completely free, but the free part has limited features, but includes the file conversion feature. Just pay attention when you download it so you don't download all this additional "trial" software. I think you get the full WavePad initailly then it defaults to the basic after a time period. Its a great simple free wav editor program

Good luck, let me know how you make out.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html#101

Very cool. Thanks! I think before I try that, I will open up my copy of Audacity (you know that one?) and see if it won't do the same.
Emoto

Postby KCJones » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:00 pm

YEP! I bet Audacity can do that also. Its the same sort of program.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Postby Emoto » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:15 pm

I'll give it a shot. Dunno why I didn't think of it earlier. Pretty new to editing digital audio. I just use it for chopping up band rehearsals into songs. I do, however, remember using a razor blade and tape to "edit" magnetic recording tape some time back... :shock:
Emoto

Postby quaglian » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:22 am

How do I burn an avi file to a DVD using Nero 8? I want to watch movies on my dvd player. I used WinDvd before to burn avi files to dvds but Win Dvd started messing up so now I switched to Nero 8. I just can't find an option on Nero where it tells me how to burn a dvd (avi file). Does anyone know what option do i need to choose from the menu? Thanks.
Last edited by quaglian on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quaglian
welcome
welcome

Postby Emoto » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:11 am

quaglian wrote:How do I burn an avi file to a DVD using Nero 8? I want to watch movies on my dvd player. I used WinDvd before to burn avi files to dvds but Win Dvd started messing up so now I switched to Nero 8. I just can't find an option on Nero where it tells me how to burn a dvd (avi file). Does anyone know what option do i need to choose from the menu? Thanks.

Have you tried burning the AVI file to a regular CD and plying that in your DVD player? Mine will play those.
Emoto

Re:

Postby RiverRat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 am

Couple things... MotB Sources typically have 2 seeds... 1 @ 16bit and another @ 24bit.

And when it comes to resampling, downsampling is a lossy conversion. Best bet is to Lo-Pass the Wav's @ somewhere between 18 and 20KHz and then do the downsample from the low pass WAV data... Since the downsample will result in losses in the high frequency range, reducing the data in that range effectively reduces the chances of conversion anomolies... 16/stereo/44.1 has an upper limit of 22KHz and human hearing is typically has an upper threashold well below that... So resampling data where the bulk of the data lost if a lot of zero should result in fewer errors... Plus if you decide to convert to a MORE lossy format like MP3, you won't have anomolies or errors... and files sizes for VBR encoded MP3's will be slightly smaller in size.
RiverRat

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:58 pm

uggh, another rant coming..........<actually I am going to hold back, be nice and keep it simple>

If you are going to burn regular audio cds then why did you download 24 bit in the first place?! By downsampling to burn a cd you lost the quality 24 bit may or may not gain you (and I dont want to get started on that topic either when it comes to older live music sources ).

24 bit or higher is useful for DVD audio and the like. If you are not playing them back at their original bit rate via a high end player then it is an excercise in futility.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Re:

Postby RiverRat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:41 am

KCJones wrote: Yes it is completely free, but the free part has limited features, but includes the file conversion feature. Just pay attention when you download it so you don't download all this additional "trial" software. I think you get the full WavePad initailly then it defaults to the basic after a time period. Its a great simple free wav editor program

Best bet is to avoid NCH software entirely... it's crap! Nothing they offer that can't be obtained from another software publishers without all their trial crap.
RiverRat

Postby RiverRat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:58 am

jeffm725 wrote:24 bit or higher is useful for DVD audio and the like. If you are not playing them back at their original bit rate via a high end player then it is an excercise in futility.

Modern mastering demands 24 bit since the quest today is push everything to get as close to the 0dB ceiling and still have some semblance of dynamic headroom. 16 bit doesn't offer enough gradation to push a signal to the absolute limit and have a program with peaks and valleys...

The bit depth transform is less of an issue than the sample rate transform.

One other thing... now I know who sourced 9/23 & 9/24/72!!!
RiverRat

Next

Return to Tapers Section