Any Tapers...?

Any Tapers...?

Postby pmonk66 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Just curious on how many people on this board record shows?
pmonk66
tiger
tiger

Postby broomhead » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:31 pm

I taped on and off from 86-90 (so, i was around at the beginning of digital taping..carrying sony F1 PCM beta equipment..lol) taping about 50 of the dead shows i saw from about 86-90 then stopped for a number of reasons.. the largest I sold my equipment and anything else for dope.

then after Jerry's death I again got bitten. I went through GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) I finaly had the $ to try EVERYTHING i always wanted. in the 2 years i returned to taping i tried...
Nuemann TLM-170 (Doug Oades old pair, the things just made good tapes on their own..)
Schoeps CMC 6 MK 4,41 MSTC4
Nuemann KM 140
Oade Preamps
Sonasax sx?? preamp
Apogee AD1000 A/d
Tascam DA-P1
HHb Portadat

lol.. lots of stuff..

During my previous taping adventure I originally used a Marantz PMD 430 and Nakamichi mics.
After my partner Cliff and I purchased the Sony PCM601 F1 and recorder we found the naks a lil noisy and patched in w/friends w/unlimited budgets and better mics.

It was a great hobby. I ended up selling my second set of equipment to purchase a 98 HD Softail!(so, it can be an expensive hobby)!! which i sold to buy these kids of mine..sorta? lol now how do i trade them in? lol

If you're thinking about takin' the plunge and buying equipment one of the most true bits of advice i heard was..

The difference between a $100 setup w/electret mics. and a tape deck and a $400-500 set up consisting of entry level digital recorder and a stereo mic will be enormous. but the difference between that $500 rig and a $5000 rig is far less obvious and the difference between a $5000 rig and a $10,000 rig is yet even smaller! Once you make that first jump in quality the steps up become far more expensive and far less noticeable. It's a lot like chasing Jerry's tone as a guitar player, your always one purchase away from the holy grail.

If theres something you want to know just ask, myself and I'm sure if any other tapers are here we love to talk shop. My knowledge starts getting a lil weak on some of the newer recorders. but mics. mic. placement etc.. all remain the same, pretty much!
joe
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby pmonk66 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:57 pm

I've been open taping for a year now and in one short year I went thru the following

SP C4>(Bm2p+)UA-5 digi mod>MT 24/96
SP C4>(Bm2p+)UA-5 digi mod>pmd 671
SP C4>(Bm2p+)Apogee Mini Me>pmd 671
Neumann KM 184>V3>pmd 671
Neumann KM 184>V3>SD 702

I plan on sticking with what I got for the long run. People say the pre in the 702 is top notch but I like the V3 running in from the 702
pmonk66
tiger
tiger

Postby broomhead » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 am

awesome setup.! Of all the mic. set ups i tried the Nuemann km series consistently made the best recordings.

Mike Grace is brilliant and the V3 is his only piece I haven't tried. I've used the V2 a bit in the past.

From everything I see the back end of the V3->702 is the top of the line! You must be making some great recordings.
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby pmonk66 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:03 pm

broomhead wrote:awesome setup.! Of all the mic. set ups i tried the Nuemann km series consistently made the best recordings.

Mike Grace is brilliant and the V3 is his only piece I haven't tried. I've used the V2 a bit in the past.

From everything I see the back end of the V3->702 is the top of the line! You must be making some great recordings.

I just got the 702 in December and so far taped two Tea Leaf Green shows. One was at the State theater in Virgina which is not a great place to tape to begin with but my Sullivan Hall (f/k/a Lion's Den) in NYC was a killer tape

Just just got taper tix for Ratdog and will tape WSP in April so looking forward to these shows
pmonk66
tiger
tiger

Return to Tapers Section