What's everyones favorite audience recording(s)?

Re: What's everyones favorite audience recording(s)?

Postby amyjared » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:02 pm

bodiddley wrote:
I wouldn't say SPAC '83 is a very good aud. Great show, but I think the recording itself is less than stellar. Nevertheless, it's all we got.

I'd have to agree as far as quality goes - maybe a 5 or 6 out of ten. But for presence - it's a 12. And, for me anyway, it's one of those strange breed of auds that as I listen to it, it gets better. Is that my ears adjusting or what? Or is someone tweaking the recording?

I loved that show. Especially the dew. Wasn't that the show where Bob keeps coming in at the wrong time for Fire? He thinks the jam will end and Jer keeps it going? Yes, I will agree, that the aud recording isn't great, but since I was there, it makes it great in my mind. I think my ears overcompensate and "remember" the actual show and so it sounds better. 'course, I could just be messed up!

For me, I always liked sound quality even in an aud recording and I was always partial to Hershey, 6/28/85. I thought the tape I had was SB, but it was an actual audience tape. Great show, except for the short set and the rain, but one where I got in on a freebie.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby DooDahDan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 am

In addition to the often cited 8/6/71, my other favorite auds are:

- 5/6/81 from Nassau 10th row center (I like it better than the Dick's Picks board)
- 7/10/81 behind the stage
- the Jim Wise auds of the 82 Red Rocks run (7/27, 28, 29) recorded at the mouth of the stage.

All great quality recordings and performances.
Stay thirsty my friends ....
DooDahDan
Brent
Brent

Postby b weird » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:49 am

Almost all AUD tapes from like 73-95 are good sounding.

My favs would have to be:
5-16-81
5-11-78
2-27-77
7-29-74 (Matrix)
10-15-81 (IDR the year but it's in Amsterdam)
b weird

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 pm

bodiddley wrote:
I wouldn't say SPAC '83 is a very good aud. Great show, but I think the recording itself is less than stellar. Nevertheless, it's all we got.

Fave AUD of '83: the late Jim Vita's FOB 6/27/83 Poplar Creek, IL ...imho the most incredible Space> Other One freakout of Brent's entire tenure, and a "Top 10 of all time" Other One in my book, which is pretty incredible in the face of '68-'74...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to Tapers Section