What's everyones favorite audience recording(s)?

Postby Billbbill » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:24 am

Dozin wrote:SPAC 83

6/18/83 - That was THE show for me out of the close to 100 I'd caught. Nothing came close to that 2nd set for me.
Billbbill

Postby Dozin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:29 am

Billbbill wrote:
Dozin wrote:SPAC 83

6/18/83 - That was THE show for me out of the close to 100 I'd caught. Nothing came close to that 2nd set for me.

"THE KILLER DEW"
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby bodiddley » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:06 am

I wouldn't say SPAC '83 is a very good aud. Great show, but I think the recording itself is less than stellar. Nevertheless, it's all we got.
bodiddley

Postby ronster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:37 am

Barton Hall 5/16/81 is the best sounding aud I have ever heard. Rochester 9/2/80 is one of the best post 77 shows.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Billbbill » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:40 am

bodiddley wrote:I wouldn't say SPAC '83 is a very good aud. Great show, but I think the recording itself is less than stellar. Nevertheless, it's all we got.

I'd have to agree as far as quality goes - maybe a 5 or 6 out of ten. But for presence - it's a 12. And, for me anyway, it's one of those strange breed of auds that as I listen to it, it gets better. Is that my ears adjusting or what? Or is someone tweaking the recording?
Billbbill

Postby bodiddley » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 am

AGREE, There is something with that and other mediocre quality audience recordings that transcends the quality and makes it oh so much more. You right it does sound better after multiple listenings. Or are we just getting deaf with age and can't tell the difference? I know mine, and all my friends parents certainly can't taste anymore because they all rave about every greasy spoon they come across. Now I'm getting off the topic...
bodiddley

Postby Billbbill » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:31 am

bodiddley wrote:AGREE, There is something with that and other mediocre quality audience recordings that transcends the quality and makes it oh so much more. You right it does sound better after multiple listenings. Or are we just getting deaf with age and can't tell the difference? I know mine, and all my friends parents certainly can't taste anymore because they all rave about every greasy spoon they come across. Now I'm getting off the topic...

What's that ya said ya young whipper snapper! SPEAK UP!! Can't you see this dang horn thing stickin outta my ear!!

LOL!!

you got me rollin with that goin deaf thing -And I know it ain't pc to be laughing about it but it was funny :lol:
Billbbill

Postby smile_smile_smile » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:46 am

11/29/80 - alligator alley, UF - sweet recording with a nice setlist, wow.
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby BuddhaG » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:12 pm

4-15-69 is the one that comes to mind right now. the show is pretty loose but with some good energy levels. i think mostly i like it because you can hear the taper telling the girl he's with to be quiet and listen to what's going on during dark star cuz he knows its big and maybe if we listen hard enough there will be more to find, and oh yeah, shut up and listen!
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby prephippie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:07 pm

8/6/71

The "Mouth of the Beast" (first 15 rows, dead center) recordings are great.

Releases so far:
http://www.motb.org/official_releases.html

What is Mouth of the Beast?
http://www.motb.org/index.html
"Play yo guitar."
-Pigpen 8/6/71
prephippie
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby smile_smile_smile » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 pm

do most people prefer sbd's? I would've thought we'd have some mega lists goin'? oh well.

been listening to 3/9/81...very sweet recording, every instrument is so clear I could swear it's a sdb.
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby AugustWest » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Both have thier place in my heart. (sbd and aud)

For road trips I tend to lean on the Audience tapes or a good matrix and rock out with the crowd. For just farting around the house and at work, I lean toward the sbd. A lot times I don't have a choice. I only own either an aud or sbd of that show (ex SPAC 83) . So when I want to hear that show it's going to have to be an aud tape.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:13 pm

smile_smile_smile wrote:do most people prefer sbd's? I would've thought we'd have some mega lists goin'? oh well.

been listening to 3/9/81...very sweet recording, every instrument is so clear I could swear it's a sdb.

I didn't think it was about lists- just favorites and/or best quality AUDs. I'll add Steve Rolfe's 5/12/80!

how come no taper's credits, people?? helps to ID them since unlike with SBDs(imho), lineage becomes very important.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Re: What's everyones favorite audience recording(s)?

Postby Mandoborg » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Barry Glassberg, Spring Tour' 81

You choose.......even by todays standards these are Incredible !!
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: What's everyones favorite audience recording(s)?

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Agreed, Glassberg is among the highest elite of 70's/80's tapers.

My favorite AUD just lately is 6/30/73 (unk- possible Jerry Moore?): spectacular Playin (if short by stds of the day at around 15:00... quality, not quantity!) Raging GSET too.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

PreviousNext

Return to Tapers Section