Question

Question

Postby nicolasalk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:20 am

This may be an estupid question but I have to know it

What is the difference between?:

-SBD recording, which I nkow they come from the soundboard of course and...

-MSR, which I don't know what it is

-AUD taped from the audirnce of course it sound worst because it is made with a micrphone

-SBDmr, which looks like a mix from the firsts two ??

-Matrix Mix, ??

and I suppose there are other which I don't know either and I think I forgot one
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mutant_dan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:06 pm

MSR - Would be a master reel this could be an Aud or SB sometimes also listed as MR. You will also see MC for master cassette and MDAT for master digital audio tape.

Matrix mixes are a mix between the soundboard and an aud mic setup.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby AugustWest » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:41 pm

To add to mutant dan. A matrix is not a sbd patched with an aud copy in sections where the sbd is missing part of the show. But it was something that Healy would do where he would intentionly mix audience sound with the sbd itself. Giving it the illusion of being a "perfect sounding" aud tape. You see other labels for aud tapes. They usally are just explaining where the mic was set up. like FOB is in front of soundboard. BOH is back of house. ect. A sbd is a copy of a MSBD or master sound board real. which means it isn't as high of quality becuase each copy has some frequency loss. each time it is copied it is a different generation. (more important when we use to trade actual tapes instead of cd's) So a seventh generation sbd would sound pretty sped up and vocals would be higher then the original MSBD. hope this helped.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby nicolasalk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:09 pm

AugustWest wrote:To add to mutant dan. A matrix is not a sbd patched with an aud copy in sections where the sbd is missing part of the show. But it was something that Healy would do where he would intentionly mix audience sound with the sbd itself. Giving it the illusion of being a "perfect sounding" aud tape.

hope this helped.

yes, helped me a lot, but it is supposed that sbd are always better thatn Auds so how can a Matrix be better that a sbd alone, i can understand the patches but what if the soundboard is complete??
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby AugustWest » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:49 pm

nothing is better than anything else. subjective. Matrix is my favorite. I need crowd noise in my recordings. I need to hear the crowd go nuts when they play truckin, in buffalo, or when jerry plays candyman for the first time since his coma

"hand me my ol' guitar, pass the whiskey round, won't you tell everybody you meet that the candy man's in town"

I get chills from the audience tape of that show.

Some want crystal clear straight out of the sound board and maybe even touched up some in the studio (europe 72 and all the official releases) Some just want great soundboards (dick's picks and master reels.) I have as many aud tapes as I have SBD it's really whatever "You" are looking for. The grateful dead to me are more than their music alone. They were an experience that sometimes I can appreciate better with an audience tape. Other times I want something super slick and clean. To each his own. As long as it's getting him high.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby nicolasalk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:53 pm

AugustWest wrote:nothing is better than anything else. subjective. Matrix is my favorite. I need crowd noise in my recordings. I need to hear the crowd go nuts when they play truckin, in buffalo, or when jerry plays candyman for the first time since his coma

"hand me my ol' guitar, pass the whiskey round, won't you tell everybody you meet that the candy man's in town"

Some want crystal clear straight out of the sound board and maybe even touched up some in the studio (europe 72 and all the official releases) Some just want great soundboards (dick's picks and master reels.) I have as many aud tapes as I have SBD it's really whatever "You" are looking for. The grateful dead to me are more than their music alone. They were an experience that sometimes I can appreciate better with an audience tape. Other times I want something super slick and clean. To each his own. As long as it's getting him high.

I had never thought that THAT way, very interesting I'm going to start listening more to AUD tapes, I normally just go to the more perfect, the best sbd, thanks August
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby nicolasalk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:09 pm

AugustWest wrote: when jerry plays candyman for the first time since his coma

by the way, incredible show, I've just listened to that candyman on AUD it is amazing
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby steve » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 pm

nicolasalk wrote:by the way, incredible show, I've just listened to that candyman on AUD it is amazing

got a link?
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby krzykat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:30 pm

http://www.archive.org/details/gd86-12- ... beok.flacf this is an aud copy you have to download it

http://www.archive.org/details/gd86-12- ... sbeok.shnf this is the sbd steam only. ENJOY!

krzykat

Postby steve » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:07 pm

cheers, mate

i appreciate it
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Tapers Section