My old Focus 2R power amp is up for sale

Sell and buy at your own risk...

My old Focus 2R power amp is up for sale

Postby playingdead » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Hey guys ... the Acoustic Image Focus 2R power amp I used in my old Jerry rig is available ... here's a shot of it on my rack. I traded it to Scott Walker as partial payment for my new Walker Special.

It's 800 watts per channel, two channels, Class D and with a great, warm solid state tone. Much more musical than the typical Crown, QSC, etc., solid state power amps. Favored by jazz guitarists for its warmth. Best of all, it weighs six pounds and comes in a padded over-the-shoulder bag.

I used to run my Egnater preamp into channel 1's effects return, and another output from the Egnater into a Real Tube Reverb which I ran 100 wet into into channel 2's effects return. Then I would balance the reverb amount with the dry guitar signal using the effects loop volumes, and the overall master volume controlled how it drove my Hard Trucker's 2X12 with the E-120s. Give you a much cleaner signal that way, removing hiss and other coloration from the reverb unit. The Focus 2R has more than enough power for the largest stages run that way ... it was stupid loud if you wanted it to be but sounded great at lower levels.

As a plus, you have two independent preamp channels onboard, with digital effects, including reverb. So, the power amp actually serves as a backup preamp for you, and it sounds quite good plugging the guitar straight into the Focus. Makes a great rehearsal amp. Also makes a great small PA for acoustic gigs; plug your acoustic into channel one, a vocal mic into channel two and you're good to go (has XLR and 1/4 inch inputs, effects loop is 1/4 inch and output is Speakon).

Was $1399 when I bought it ... $800 plus shipping. Get in touch with me via PM and I'll put you in touch with Scott. These are prized as bass heads, jazz guitar heads and it worked great as a Jerry power amp if you don't want to cart around a McIntosh.

Clip of me playing through the rig with the Focus ... click 480p for better audio.

playingdead

Re: My old Focus 2R power amp is up for sale

Postby playingdead » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Whoops ... my bad. That clip is the AxeFX. Sounds great, doesn't it? LOL

Here's the Focus driving the JBLs ... 480p, please.

playingdead

Return to Garage Sale