Wahs?

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Wahs?

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm

So, every other year I buy a wah and every other other year I sell it. Though I find them the most cliche of effects, I keep thinking I will finally find something that works,

Had a Teese version of a Colorsound, somehow didn't work for me (well, nothing has for long). What's out there to get that sort of cocked filter sound I hear in some early PITB jams?
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Wahs?

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:10 pm

I like the clyde wha by fulltone. Its nice. I can get great tones similar to that...
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby KCJones » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:18 am

KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby strumminsix » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:06 am

I agree and happen to have one for sale :-)
strumminsix

Postby Chuckles » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Strummin, the Budda you've got - is it true bypass like the Budda Bud?
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby strumminsix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 am

strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:00 am

+1 on the Buddah - badass amps too
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 am

If you are just going to leave it cocked, I'd say it matters less what type of wah you use.... with the exception of a Parachute or Parapedal wah, which gets extremely bassy but also rolls off the volume at the extreme heel end.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 am

From what I can tell, though Jerry left the wah cocked, he also moved the pedal over a very small range, not the whacka-whacka thing that I find so cliche. So, yes, there might be less an issue with leaving it cocked (though even then there are tonal differences), but I haven't found one that had that growl, that sweet spot with the emphasis I want in the smaller range of motion that I need.

I have owned two Budda wahs over the years. From my experience and from reading more than a couple of reviews, they all sound different. I have been doing some listening to sound samples on YouTube and such and seems, for the small amount I will use it and the cost, the Crybaby Classic with the fasel inductor is a very fine sounding pedal and quite inexpensive. Since I can find them used for cheap,I think I'll try that.
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:22 pm

the common inductor based wah's are very inconsistent from one to the other. a good one is finally tuned or luck of the draw. you'd do better hitting up a boutique drop in kit that is tuned in correctly. like pickup coils, the dc resistance and inductance play a huge part in the sound quality of the inductor. there are other aspects such as transistors and cap materials that play a big part as well. often times these aspects are neglected with big sellers such as dunlop or vox. thus why the luster of a new one wears off quickly. i heard that hendrix, like his strats, went thru 20 or so before finding a good one. so the luck of the draw is set against you from the start.

check out this kit, very well put together with all the makings for nailing a great wah sound out of the box.

http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merch ... ode=cat002

just need a shell and your in business. but if you do go the dunlop route, i'd go where they have a pretty good stock of them and try each and every one out before deciding.

HTH.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes, good point, Waldo. I have heard of people who have the time and money going through dozens of one vintage effect before finding one that stands out from the rest (Eric Johnson and Fuzz Faces for example). I have heard great things about the Area 51 wahs. Sounds like a good route to take. Thanks.
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Garage Sale