Modulus Graphite Custom Guitar

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Modulus Graphite Custom Guitar

Postby AKdead » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Hello,

Been lurking here a while but this might be my first post. I've had this guitar since the mid-eighties.

Story about this guitar. I was GAS'n for a Modulus and I visited Geoff in his shop in SF many times and checked out his guitars and basses...but never had the funds to buy one. I found a used neck for sale and ended up trading a strat I had straight across for the neck. I had seen a body in a music store in I think San Mateo that caught my eye and I thought it would go well with the Modulus neck. So I bought the body and took the body and neck to Geoff to have him put it together for me.

When I showed him the body, he said, "That's one of our bodies!" I did not know it was a Modulus body when I bought it. The body is some beautiful solid walnut with some other wood down the center. The neck I think was made by Modulus for Ibanez, based on the headstock. The neck has the "woven" pattern, not the "particle board" pattern.

Two EMG active pups (one HB and one single coil) and a Kahler tremolo. The Kahler Trem was replaced with a new one this year, and I still have the original one more than 25 years old. Pics from last year before I changed the bridge, but it looks about the same.

This is a rare guitar and for sure the only one like it! I can send someone more pics if interested. Asking $2,000.00 with hardshell case.
AKdead
tiger
tiger

Re: Modulus Graphite Custom Guitar

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:56 am

While it's not of interest to me I think many will start asking:
- can we get more pics of the controls since it appears un-modified
- pics of the control cavity size

Welcome!
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:59 am

I agree Strum about the pics, and Ill add can we see a pic of the headstock. I would also like to know about those holes near the controls.
jdsmodulus

Postby AKdead » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 am

I'll get some more pics up later today...right now I am late for work. I'll have to take pics of the control cavity. There were little switches near the controls and I don't remember what they were for...I never used them...I took the neck and body into Modulus and had them install the bridge and pups of my choice and the switches were not needed for the new set up.

For reference I'll mention good deals with some of the people here...I bought a Tiger Buffer from Waldo (not in this guitar), a 2X12 cab in the Hard Truckers style from Hogan, and a Classic Tube Preamp (Garcia version) from Brad Sarno.
AKdead
tiger
tiger

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 am

AKdead wrote:I'll get some more pics up later today...right now I am late for work. I'll have to take pics of the control cavity. There were little switches near the controls and I don't remember what they were for...I never used them...I took the neck and body into Modulus and had them install the bridge and pups of my choice and the switches were not needed for the new set up.

For reference I'll mention good deals with some of the people here...I bought a Tiger Buffer from Waldo (not in this guitar), a 2X12 cab in the Hard Truckers style from Hogan, and a Classic Tube Preamp (Garcia version) from Brad Sarno.

Makes sense! And very cool giving some background!
strumminsix

Postby AKdead » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:57 am

More pics:

I'll get some pics of the control cavity later today.

One of the things I love about this guitar is that in the neck position (single coil) it almost sounds like an acoustic. The strings never seem to go dead...the hollow graphite neck gives it a liveliness...like what you get with new strings on a regular wood neck guitar...but it stays that way!

The guitar is heavy...solid walnut.

I will also throw in one of the those guitar straps that Jerry used...designed for heavier guitars...I forget what they are called.
AKdead
tiger
tiger

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:26 am

That is an Ibanez neck. Modulus made them for awhile it is similar to a Wizard. It is a cool guitar though!
jdsmodulus

Postby AKdead » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:45 pm

I finally got around to making some pictures of the control cavity and the new bridge.

AKdead
tiger
tiger

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 am

Is this guitar still for sale? What about updated pics of the new bridge?!
strumminsix

Postby Dozin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:53 am

Anyone see the 3 Modulus guitars on eBay yesterday that went for short money?
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am

Dozin wrote:Anyone see the 3 Modulus guitars on eBay yesterday that went for short money?

I just did now and totally shocked!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0501622320
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0501627783
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0501614487
strumminsix

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 am

Wow! It's not everyday that you see a Modulus sell for under $1-2k, much less three of them!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks for the links, had I seen them things would have gone down a little different. :?
jdsmodulus

Postby AKdead » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:41 pm

(Yearly bump-haha)

Well unfortunately I must let go of this guitar...somebody make me an offer. I installed some walnut pickup rings that look nice in my opinion, improvement over the black plastic ones.

Shipping from Alaska...about $100.00 USPS Priority mail (3 days to lower 48).

Recently I was recording some of my original tunes, mostly using a strat, but occasionally my other guitars. I went through 5 guitars looking for the right sound...it ended up being the Modulus that I chose for the part. Don't want to sell this (had it for almost 30 years) but all things must pass, right?

AKdead
tiger
tiger

Return to Garage Sale