Twin Reverb question

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Twin Reverb question

Postby LazyLightnin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:48 am

how much would you guys pay for a Twin Reverb used? i wanna buy one from someone i met, it looks nice and sounds fine. he is askin $600 - sound fair?
LazyLightnin

Postby grateful4booze » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:53 am

It depends on which one it is. Unfortunately there are several models all called Twin Reverb. I got an "Evil Twin" which has red knobs for $450 three years ago.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."
- Pete Green
grateful4booze
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Henry » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:49 pm

Just look around on ebay a bit to get an idea. It always amazes me that Fender guitars from the '70s nowadays sell for outrageous sums (you could get them cheap even 15 years ago) while the amps from the same period remain relatively affordable.
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby myoung6923 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Yeah - it depends on which model, year and condition. Also, you need to know how the speakers are - if they need to be reconed then you might be in for a couple of bucks there. But, find out that info - and like mentioned previously - look up other ones on ebay.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby amyjared » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Also, consider one other thing:

I was so so into buying a twin until I realized two things: It's awfully powerful if you're not playing large, large places and it weighs a ton. For what I play (bars, small clubs, parties) it was overkill and a pain in the ass to lug around. I ended up with the Deluxe Reverb (the reissue) that I found for $500 (and it was a week old, still had tags on it) and it is more than enough for what I do. My advice: Make sure you need and will utilize the twin before buying it.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby BOUKINATOR » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:02 pm

I've owned a few different Fender tube amps... over time I've continued to downsize to where I am now with the Blues Jr... works just fine for me playing "Jerry" in my band at smallish bars

my opinion is the smaller Fender amps have better tone and if you just mic em' you're fine... plus you can turn them up more and break up those tubes

not to mention lugging them out of bars at 4am after 10 Blue Moons (mmmm slice of orange)
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Henry » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:14 pm

BOUKINATOR wrote:my opinion is the smaller Fender amps have better tone and if you just mic em' you're fine... plus you can turn them up more and break up those tubes

I agree. These days it's getting harder to find any venues where you can actually turn up a big Fender amp to natural overdrive without people complaining about the volume. At least that's the way it is over here.
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Lots of good advice here. I agree with the downsizing move. I gigged with a Twin Reverb in a flight case for about 5 years. Sucked.

Get a Deluxe Reverb, you can volume up to drive the tubes without the sound man cutting off your mic, or worse yelling at you all night to turn down.

And you still have that bad ass Fender Blackface tone.

Less money, no backaches, better live sound.

Slam dunk IMO.

Fender Deluxe Reverb + Analog Man Silver Mod TS9 = :cool:
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby LazyLightnin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:52 am

so whats with the TS9?
LazyLightnin

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:44 am

Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby LazyLightnin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:11 pm

well, i got to asking this guy questions about the amp, which i was going to do anyway, and his whole tone changed so it now sounds like a crap deal. the TS9 is a distortion pedal i take it.
LazyLightnin

Jerry DR settings

Postby 1960strat » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:33 am

I have a vintage 65 Deluxe Reverb. Combined with my ts9 and ross compressor i can nail trey but i cant get good Jerry sounds out of it. How do you have it set to get Jer?
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: Jerry DR settings

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:49 am

1960strat wrote:I have a vintage 65 Deluxe Reverb. Combined with my ts9 and ross compressor i can nail trey but i cant get good Jerry sounds out of it. How do you have it set to get Jer?

Well, there's a few components in there - you can get close though withalmost any sort of set up.

Jerry used single coil pickups - back from the days with his strat he has pretty much exlusively stayed in a single coil configuration. Even though his later guitars had super 2's which are humbucking, they were set up for single coil taps and he mostly stayed with the middle pickup for most sounds.

I don't know what kind of guitar you have but the middle pickup is whe the jood jerry tone is. Then you have to play with your amp settings to get it close. Jerry had the treble on the amp all the way up, bass all the way down or very close to it, and the mids all the way up. then he rolled the tone down on his guitar until it was nice and warm sounding without being too biting or brittle. Keep the volume at the point where it just starts to break up into distortion when you really hit it - but where if you strum it's still nice and clean.

That should get you as close as can be with your set up.

Don't forget, Jerry also specific pickups for the sound in different eras, a unity gain buffer in his guitars, his twin was heavily modified, used a Mac MC2300 as his actual amp (not the power tubes of teh twin) and he had JBL e120 speakers. All of these components are the final dressing to the sound - but those setting I mentioned should get you close.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Django » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:32 am

I have a '73 fender vibrolux reverb. It is like a smaller twin with 40 watts and two 10" speaks. Still has the 6L6 tubes (just two of 'em). Like a twin it has a lot of clean headroom. And it probably is too loud for most smaller rooms. I have been drowned out before by other amps in uncontrolled outdoor jams though. I would hope to get $600 for it but, as was stated, strangely the fender amps aren't sky rocketing like the guitars. The re-issue of this amp is around a grand. It is a favorite of steel pedal players.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Postby LazyLightnin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:43 pm

right, the '65 reissue is $1100 brand new. there is someone in my town tryin to sell one thats 10 years old for $800, she wont go lower than $750 she said. and the guy who said he had one for cheaper stopped responding to my emails when i started asking technical questions. i found cheaper Twins from $450 up to $600 but they are all in other states and such.
and i dont do the credit card thing (and never will, im strange like that). im holdin out till i find a good deal cause i know as soon as i drop a k on an amp ill found a perfeclty good used one right around the corner. :-?
LazyLightnin

Return to Garage Sale