Custom "JerryCaster" for sale! SOLD

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Custom "JerryCaster" for sale! SOLD

Postby kralltime » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:00 am

Ok, this guitar is the result of a very successful customization of an Eric Christman original. Eric's guitar was a neck thru SSH super strat similar to a highend Carvin neck thru design... awesome use of high end woods (Pau Ferro, Zircote, Maple, Mahogany, Ebony). 25" scale length, 1 11/16 nut width, 12-14" fret board radius. This was an awesome playing guitar before any customization. I chartered a very talented luthier (from this board) who specializes in Garcia's electronics to do this extensive modification.

Of course, you'll ask "why sell after all this work?"... well, this guitar was the tip of the iceburg for me and I have since ordered a full out Wolf Replica with a similar electronics package - it's almost complete now... and I need to pay for it!

Here's what's in her from an electronics standpoint:
We've installed a combination of Jerry Garcia inspired electronics. The design includes a Stratoblaster clone like Jerry had in the Wolf, and the Unity Gain Buffer that came in Jerry's later guitars, as well as the Dimarzio SD2 Humbuckers and SD1 neck single coil. Each pickup has it's own Parallel/Series/Split Coil switch, chosen with a Fender style 5 way switch, as well as the typical tone and volume controls. Switches determine either Stratoblaster (including adjustable gain or unity switch), Unity Gain Buffer (designed and built by Mike Wald) or passive pickup/preamp bypass configuration. It also has an Onboard Effects Loop which sends the pickup signal at full strength to the effects and back to the guitar before the Master Volume.

Along with the electronics, it's had a full refinish, new brass pickguard, new bridge replacement (Shaller "Hannes"), new brass nut, full fret buff and leveling.
The fit and finish of the custom work is top notch, and the electronics will just blow you away!!! Tough to part with this guitar, but I just got too much $ going into the next one!

I have a million pictures of the customization process, here's the finished guitar. Sale price is $1,650.00
* I added a few links to youtube videos demoing the guitar - 1st time I ever tried this, and couldn't figure out how to actually imbed the videos. The first two are the guitar straight into my 72 Twin (JBL K120)... third video includes my 3Leaf Proton Envelope Filter. Audio is just my little Cannon camera, and of course, you have to put up with my playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqZhgPoymiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyrSUne1RM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyYzbax9mFk

1. The body of the guitar was refinished about 5 months ago. The neck was not refinished and there is one scratch on the back of the neck... that is the only mark on the guitar.
2. I am the 2nd owner of the guitar. It was built in 2005, I have owned it for about two years. I played it as a SSH Strat quite regularly... it had a decent Jerry sound originally - that, and the neck through design (and cool woods) is why I decided to use this guitar for the customization.
3. The top is Ziricote - beautiful. The main body of the guitar is Mahogany, but it has a thin walnut cap on the back. The neck is Maple and Pau Ferro (stripes). The binding on the neck is pau ferro and the finger board is ebony... fast and smooth.
4. The guitar was originally outfitted with a Wilkinson Trem bridge. The cover on the back is a real wood cover for the original trem spring cavity. The Wilikinson bridge was eliminated, all of the holes from the bridge were expertly filled (bridge cut out and the spring cavity)... Brian really did a fantastic job on this, I couldn't believe how perfectly he filled those voids. It was because of this work that we decided to refinish the entire body of the guitar. The trem cover is only on there for decorative reasons (would be a shame not to use it!).
5. Yes, the three in a row switches are for the pickups - each has series/single coil/parallel. The lowest switch near the 5 way - switches between the UGB and the Stratoblaster... the switch up near the "3 in a row" switches on the Stratoblaster gain (the black knob adjusts the gain) - this is a wicked feature!!! The last switch in the middle of the controls is for the OBEL (on board effects loop) - engaged, you need a stereo cable between your guitar and pedal board... disengaged, you can just use the signal send like any other guitar output (bottom output). Also has an LED indicator for UGB vs Stratoblaster!!
6. top brass knob is Main Volume - has a push/pull which bypasses all the onboard electronics. Middle knob is Neck tone, bottom knob is middle/bridge tone.

That's it - the electronics are wicked, wicked, wicked!!!
Last edited by kralltime on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Custom "JerryCaster" for sale!

Postby gr8fullfred » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:40 am

Nice one!
gr8fullfred
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby guitarcats » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Nice guitar and good luck with the sale. Did you get the relic, bare bones or standard Wolf? You must, must, must...did I say must :hail: post pictures when it arrives. I dont mean a few crappy cell phone pictures but many pictures and videos and...and... well I guess that will do.
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby kralltime » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Well, it's actually a cross between the relic and the barebones... it's a SHH barebones with the relic wolf inlay and the relic headstock (no peacock or fancy fret inlays). Don't worry... I get lot's of photo's up!!!
Steve.
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Jimaroe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Hey Krall
We've got Wolf brothers being built at the same time. I went May 73 style no wolf inlay or stickers but with fret board inlay and Peacock inlay headstock. Opted for 89 electronics ( H,H,S all white) like I time-machined it from May 73, stopped off at Hampton 89 (sans Wolf inlay). Aesthetically, Im hoping mine will look like fairly like it did when first delivered (scalloped nut, chrome p/u plate, black top hat nobs, gold tuners) with the exception of the super IIs and being built backwards (lefty). I freaking can't wait, and super excited to see your guitar as well. :cool:
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby guitarcats » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Jimaroe wrote:Hey Krall
We've got Wolf brothers being built at the same time. I went May 73 style no wolf inlay or stickers but with fret board inlay and Peacock inlay headstock. Opted for 89 electronics ( H,H,S all white) like I time-machined it from May 73, stopped off at Hampton 89 (sans Wolf inlay). Aesthetically, Im hoping mine will look like fairly like it did when first delivered (scalloped nut, chrome p/u plate, black top hat nobs, gold tuners) with the exception of the super IIs and being built backwards (lefty). I freaking can't wait, and super excited to see your guitar as well. :cool:

You best post pictures too or feel the wrath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby kralltime » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm

I say we get a new deserving owner for this one first!
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby ImJerryToo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 am

Beautiful instrument!

Care to share any thoughts on that Hannes bridge? They look supercool and I've read some good reviews... but really pricey.
ImJerryToo
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby kralltime » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:22 pm

It's an awesome bridge! extremely well made, very stable, allows for a very low profile application... and easy to adjust. Looks good and comfortable if you like to rest your hand like I do.
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Jimaroe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:10 pm

The grain on that wood is something else! The lucky new owner is gonna get a sweet lookin' guitar.
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby kralltime » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm

The top is Ziricote... awesome look and feel.
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby barefootdave » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:09 am

Who did the wiring for the guitar?
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby kralltime » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:43 pm

My man Brian! milobender
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby WildEye » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:03 pm

That's a nice looking guitar, love the grain. If I hadn't just finished my jerrycaster I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I also did wald's buffer + the stratoblaster. And to anyone interested I want to give a +1 to brian (milobender) who does great work. He made me a custom jack for my strat that kept my blaster and I love it.
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby kralltime » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 am

That blaster plate is fabulous! I put an Alembic blaster in a MIJ Strat... love it.
kralltime
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Next

Return to Garage Sale