Blown or Raw speaker frames K-120?

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Blown or Raw speaker frames K-120?

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:19 pm

I was able to get my hands on two cones for K120's and want to see if anyone would mind selling me a blown or not working magnet/basket to bring it back to life! I know there must be some lying around somewhere!!!! Don't hesitated to holler at me If you have a basket I can buy.

I found an e kit too. I went to an old music shop downtown to look through his "basement" of old speakers (all blown, it was their speaker repair shop in the late 70's through mid 80's a JBL authorized location) and other vintage junk. He had cones, Altec, EV baskets and mags and I got the one and only E120 basket that was there. 10 bucks, without a cone of coarse just the frame... He knew how pricy those cones were. I had a good day. :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Re: Blown or Raw speaker frames K-120?

Postby Smolder » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 am

Very cool. I could be wrong, but I believe the E and K cones are identical. The difference in those speakers being the magnets. The difference between and a D and a K being that E cone. Hope that helps... and best of luck. I see the frames 'needing a re-cone' on ebay occasionally and bought a K recently. I have two baskets at Upland awaiting re-cone. Apparently the kits are on backorder from jbl.
Smolder

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 am

They had k kits and e kits. I got a k kit. But an e kit will fit on a k frame and the k kits were phased out in lieu of the e kits so they did have both once upon a time. The e cone is a little different from the e cone what I heard.
JonnyBoy

Postby TRG » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Why doesn't JBL just go back to producing the K's again already...or the entire 120 series for that matter! :)
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:06 am

Not enough profit in it. Those speakers were used in almost every application years ago. Now a days they make good guitar speakers that's about it. Not to say they wouldn't do well in other applications, just that there is way more to choose from that would do better. Someone would have to buy the design and do a faithful reproduction which shouldn't be that hard. The baskets/magnets don't look all that special, neither does the cones. I wondered the same thing!! With all the profit they do make you would think they could give back to the community! Yhea right....
JonnyBoy

Postby Smolder » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 am

TRG wrote:Why doesn't JBL just go back to producing the K's again already...or the entire 120 series for that matter! :)

I know of at least one guy considering it. not sure if patents are still in place. i a guy (scumback) can build a small company making pre roll greenbacks, i gotta think you could do the same with jbl's.
Smolder

Postby TRG » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:07 pm

I hear ya, on the profit thing. It's too bad though, you think they'd atleast have a small market niche in guitar amplification that would be worth their while...but I guess not. I mean Beyma does it with the Liberty in regard to the E120 clone...maybe someone will get us a K120 clone.

It'll probably end up happening after I've spent all my money trying to buy up used K's :lol:
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:37 pm

If you think about it, a really good boutique speaker is about 3-400 so buying a pair of K120's for $400-450 is a better value. I guess a blown K120 doesn't exist (much) since most folks re-cone them anyway due to their coolness. Shit, with all the speakers the Dead used, on top of the rest of the music world they should be around in some adequate supply. I just fall over with stupidity I haven't picked up the many I've let go (didn't buy) on ebay for $150 over the years.
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I've got a blown E-130 (frame).
mijknahs

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:07 am

johnnyboy, I have a K basket for you if you want it. Pristine condition, the guy I got from trued to do a recone himself and f'd it up.

I can give it to you for what I got it for.... 75 plus shipping
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 am

Message sent Jeff!
JonnyBoy

Return to Garage Sale