Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby tcsned » Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 am

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a MC2100 or and MC250 - if you've got one in good working order and want to sell it, let me know. I'm not picky about cosmetics. I'm looking on eBay but I'd rather get one from the community.

Thanks!
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu May 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
User avatar
JonnyBoy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am
Location: the south swamps

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby mijknahs » Thu May 24, 2012 5:06 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!


+1

Yeah, the MC2100 is pretty heavy. Plus you're lugging around an extra channel that you probably won't need. The MC100 is ideal but super rare. MC250 is definitely more available.
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby tcsned » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks, I forgot about the MC100. The Mosvalve is pretty decent but I initially got that as a backup. The search continues . . .
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby mijknahs » Fri May 25, 2012 9:31 am

I have a MosValve 962 also but not very interested in using it unless my other amps are in for repairs or something. Actually just the Twin Reverb with good tubes can sound pretty awesome but the McIntosh is still fuller though.
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby TRG » Fri May 25, 2012 9:52 am

JonnyBoy wrote:Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!


Aren't you getting the same wattage to 2 speakers if you run the MC250 in stereo (1 channel/speaker) as you would if you bridged mono and had both speakers wired in parallel and hooked up to the mono? Or were you just referring to if you were using only 1 speaker on the MC250?
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 am

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat May 26, 2012 9:35 am

TRG wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!


Aren't you getting the same wattage to 2 speakers if you run the MC250 in stereo (1 channel/speaker) as you would if you bridged mono and had both speakers wired in parallel and hooked up to the mono? Or were you just referring to if you were using only 1 speaker on the MC250?



Yes but no. You can individually power each speaker which is nice. So, you can crank the top speaker that isn't mic'd for stage volume and turn down the speaker that is going to the board, or vise versa. I think you can get a little "louder" hooking both into parallel and going bridged, but it still is debatable. I think the signal in the amp has a little more headroom and the speakers in parallel drops the ohm rating to give you a little power boost, even though there is an autoformer that is supposed to give you an even signal depending on the tap you choose... I still think you can get more headroom going bridged mono. I haven't used my MC250 in a long while though, I have been using my MC100 when I use my mac setup, so I don't really remember.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
User avatar
JonnyBoy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am
Location: the south swamps

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby bluemule » Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 am

I have a MC250. At 100 watts bridged mono it can get very loud. Very easy to change the speaker load and to wire in stereo or mono. There are .pdf manuals online if you end up with a Mac without one. Good luck in your search.
dead, mule, skb, dtb, abb, jgb, moe, phish, buddy guy, blue floyd, old&intheway
bluemule
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 am

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby tcsned » Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 am

I was concerned that 100w wouldn't cut it for some of our louder shows since I've been using the 80w Mosvalve and have had to set it at 8 or so when the crowd gets a little wild. I was trying out my new speaker cab (loaded with Eminence Commonwealth speakers) and didn't plug in the Lexicon rack unit (usually the last thing before the power amp) and it just about peeled the paint off the wall at 6. I'm thinking the gain structure in the Lexicon needs tweaking :roll: - I'm now thinking the MC250 would be enough - they seem relatively available and not too expensive.

I do have this McIntosh :lol:

Image
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 am

OH yes sir 100 watts MAC is ENOUGH (about 140 true watts)!! Its the 50 watts that may get you distorting, and not in a good way. For bar shows, 50 watts is plenty though. 100 watts has never failed me, even on a festival sized stage outdoors. You'll mic anyway there. Since we moved to the presonus, we are micing everything, every show, and I can play a LOT lower. I have been using a deluxe power section with one speaker lately and letting the monitors and mains do the work. I guess I have to rework everything again.... I like the 6l6 tubes but it is NOT like a MAC. But it does sound good tone wise.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
User avatar
JonnyBoy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am
Location: the south swamps

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby TRG » Mon May 28, 2012 10:04 am

JonnyBoy wrote:
TRG wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!


Aren't you getting the same wattage to 2 speakers if you run the MC250 in stereo (1 channel/speaker) as you would if you bridged mono and had both speakers wired in parallel and hooked up to the mono? Or were you just referring to if you were using only 1 speaker on the MC250?



Yes but no. You can individually power each speaker which is nice. So, you can crank the top speaker that isn't mic'd for stage volume and turn down the speaker that is going to the board, or vise versa. I think you can get a little "louder" hooking both into parallel and going bridged, but it still is debatable. I think the signal in the amp has a little more headroom and the speakers in parallel drops the ohm rating to give you a little power boost, even though there is an autoformer that is supposed to give you an even signal depending on the tap you choose... I still think you can get more headroom going bridged mono. I haven't used my MC250 in a long while though, I have been using my MC100 when I use my mac setup, so I don't really remember.


Interesting, thanks for the reply!
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 am

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby mijknahs » Mon May 28, 2012 4:34 pm

tcsned wrote:I was concerned that 100w wouldn't cut it for some of our louder shows since I've been using the 80w Mosvalve and have had to set it at 8 or so when the crowd gets a little wild.


No way. A 100W McIntosh is not equivalent to other solid state amp ratings. They rate their amps VERY conservatively. A 100W McIntosh is closer to 150W before any distortion.
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby tcsned » Mon May 28, 2012 6:59 pm

mijknahs wrote:
tcsned wrote:I was concerned that 100w wouldn't cut it for some of our louder shows since I've been using the 80w Mosvalve and have had to set it at 8 or so when the crowd gets a little wild.


No way. A 100W McIntosh is not equivalent to other solid state amp ratings. They rate their amps VERY conservatively. A 100W McIntosh is closer to 150W before any distortion.


Thanks Jim, I think you guys are right a MC250 or 100 sounds like more than enough. Now that I seem to have my Lexicon under control again the 80w Mosvalve sounds a lot stronger. Now all I have to do is be patient for the right one
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Sell me your MC2100/MC250

Postby hawk900 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 pm

I have a freshly recapped MC2100. You only need 2 5w resistors. One for each sound card. Installed custom cooling system too.
Here's my work sheet.
Image

Make an offer. Search my posts about the 2100 and the custom work.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:24 am


Return to Garage Sale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests