Deads Use Of High End Audio Gear For Sound

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Re: Deads Use Of High End Audio Gear For Sound

Postby Mostdead » Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

The Bullshit O Meter has reached a nice level. I believe the wiring cost around $500.00.
Mostdead
Vince
Vince

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat May 05, 2012 8:52 am

... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat May 05, 2012 9:02 am

To be fair, there is apparently something to the power cord thing, however, there's a point at which it becomes pretty silly. To my understanding, the idea of the better power cords is that they're shielded and the shield is connected only at one end. This is said to help with certain devices, namely digital converters with precision clocking where slight amounts of noise and interference on the power line coming in can reduce the jitter performance. But the catch is that a "good" power cord should or could cost about $30 to use the good Belden shielded power cord and decent plug ends. Once you start getting into this real high end of audiophoolery, it becomes comedy. I also think it's silly to want to drop cash on this kind of thing for guitar amplification. Until it's clearly demonstrated that an audible improvement is noticeable in a blind a/b test, I'm not sold.

I did make my own few shielded power cords for my mastering studio to power my digital converters and computer interface, but that's it. Not totally sure I hear the difference, but surely can't hurt. But for this kind of price for a couple of power cords, I think I'd rather buy another McIntosh or maybe a MuTron.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tcsned » Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:To be fair, there is apparently something to the power cord thing, however, there's a point at which it becomes pretty silly. To my understanding, the idea of the better power cords is that they're shielded and the shield is connected only at one end. This is said to help with certain devices, namely digital converters with precision clocking where slight amounts of noise and interference on the power line coming in can reduce the jitter performance. But the catch is that a "good" power cord should or could cost about $30 to use the good Belden shielded power cord and decent plug ends. Once you start getting into this real high end of audiophoolery, it becomes comedy. I also think it's silly to want to drop cash on this kind of thing for guitar amplification. Until it's clearly demonstrated that an audible improvement is noticeable in a blind a/b test, I'm not sold.

I did make my own few shielded power cords for my mastering studio to power my digital converters and computer interface, but that's it. Not totally sure I hear the difference, but surely can't hurt. But for this kind of price for a couple of power cords, I think I'd rather buy another McIntosh or maybe a MuTron.

B

'nuff said
tcsned

Postby Smolder » Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 am

To confront any skepticism, all any manufacturer would need to do is offer a thirty day refund if you can't hear the difference. I have yet to see that offer from any of the snake oil audiophoolery guys.

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:To be fair, there is apparently something to the power cord thing, however, there's a point at which it becomes pretty silly. To my understanding, the idea of the better power cords is that they're shielded and the shield is connected only at one end. This is said to help with certain devices, namely digital converters with precision clocking where slight amounts of noise and interference on the power line coming in can reduce the jitter performance. But the catch is that a "good" power cord should or could cost about $30 to use the good Belden shielded power cord and decent plug ends. Once you start getting into this real high end of audiophoolery, it becomes comedy. I also think it's silly to want to drop cash on this kind of thing for guitar amplification. Until it's clearly demonstrated that an audible improvement is noticeable in a blind a/b test, I'm not sold.

B
Smolder

Postby Grateful Dad » Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 am

Mostdead wrote:The Bullshit O Meter has reached a nice level. I believe the wiring cost around $500.00.

Yea right....and I've got a lovely Norweigan Blue parrot for sale, lovely plumage, loves to "rest".

:D
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby tcsned » Sat May 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Placebo
tcsned

Postby cousindave79 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:47 pm

You can order high end gear through guitar center or Sam ash and they will stay true a 30 day return policy.
cousindave79
tiger
tiger

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 am

the OP is intentionally trollin' imo, this thread has gotten over 600 views now in the last couple days. that's great advertising for him. this thread oughta be trashed like the spam it is. just my opinion.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mostdead » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I must admit little has changed in the world of live music discussion. When I was in my teens and going to shows, Traffic, Allmans,Dead, Steelmill, Zappa, Stone etc. I always had a nice high end system to enjoy it on. It's kind of like if you only like one band. You simply can't hear of anything else. By the way no Guitar Shop I have ever been has anything near high end cables. It's all from China with little consideration given to anything but profit. The profit from 10000 Monster cables compared to one high quality cable with proper materials, grounding and termination is not even in the same world but the person with a high end setup is probably making far superior sound and music and lovin it. Boutique amps , Mcintosh amps, JBl speakers, 500.00 road cases, $1000.00 of dollars in effects, PRS and custom guitars, old teles, old strats for tens of thousands of dollars and a 24 gauge speaker cable and power cords and guitar cord with a cheap connectors. Ouch that hurts.
Mostdead
Vince
Vince

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Omg...can I get you a soap box? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Moving to garage sale as this has zero to do with Jerry, his tone, or the Grateful Dead for that matter.
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Fri May 11, 2012 6:40 am

Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Previous

Return to Garage Sale