"Shoot Me An Offer" for Anything

Sell and buy at your own risk...

"Shoot Me An Offer" for Anything

Postby KCJones » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 am

Just a thought ... I often have to wonder when people try and sell things without proposing an asking price, and they say "just shoot me an offer". To me, all their saying is "I hope someone actually offers me more than its worth, and I'll gladely take their naive cash". Hell even the dudes on Pawn Stars routinely tell people they're asking too little for something and give them more money. I know we live in a free market, but come on. Any thoughts?
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Re: "Shoot Me An Offer" for Anything

Postby dleonard » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 am

I only have experience negotiating with tickets and an amp, but I've never come across any party that was naive about the transaction. I always take it that the seller just wants to see what people are willing to pay and not scare anyone off with a hard-line price.
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

I've delt with a lot of people for different things over the years buying as well as selling and I know for a fact that if your dealing with an honest person, they will quote/give you a price they are asking. When you are selling something, it is not an auction, unless it is stated it is and understood by all parties. Anyone who says "shoot me a price" is trying to create a sort of pseudo auction between you and him/her. It's a sleezy tactic. When you find yourself in this situation and you know what a fair price would be, just lower it by half and see what they say. Usually they will then voice a fair price very close to what you feel is a fair price.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 pm

I hate it and ignore folks selling with that "price" as I don't like to deal with it.

If I had my way, I'd make it mandatory to put price on on things in the garage sale. Unless you have something that you don't want and just wanna give it away to a forum member.
strumminsix

Postby alcorelectric » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:I've delt with a lot of people for different things over the years buying as well as selling and I know for a fact that if your dealing with an honest person, they will quote/give you a price they are asking. When you are selling something, it is not an auction, unless it is stated it is and understood by all parties. Anyone who says "shoot me a price" is trying to create a sort of pseudo auction between you and him/her. It's a sleezy tactic. When you find yourself in this situation and you know what a fair price would be, just lower it by half and see what they say. Usually they will then voice a fair price very close to what you feel is a fair price.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

A couple of points I would like to make:
1st If you responding to a WTB ad and your not 100% sure you want to sell, then, "shoot me a price" is OK
2nd In the above scenario, If the buyer is trying to lowball the seller, it helps determine how interested they are in buying

But I do agree if you are posting something for sale you should have a price affixed to it

T
Last edited by alcorelectric on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

A lot of forums will call that a "Feeler". As in "I'm thinking about selling this item but haven't really settled on a price, how much interest is there"? I'm ok with those but can't stand "shoot me a price". Guess I'm rambling...
Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:A lot of forums will call that a "Feeler".

I guess I can understand feelers. I mean, it's not like ebay has a completed auctions options and there isn't an allofcraigs.com.

:lol:

I guess if you have something super rare I understand seeking a worth. But not in the garage sale.
strumminsix

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:19 pm

I would not even consider buying or selling anything until I did my research and knew at least the ball park within $20 of what the item is currently selling for in a particular condition. Otherwise, reguardless of weather your selling or buying, you don't really even know what your doing.
So, bottom line is if everyone knows what they are doing, an easily agreed upon price costing only seconds of thought transpires and all involved are happy!
Talk about your ramblin..... :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Pete B. » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 pm

I hate it when a "For Sale" ad does not include a contact phone-number.
Pete B.

Postby RiverRat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm

If you want my thoughts, shoot me an offer. I'll gladly give them to you if the price is right.
RiverRat

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 am

Pete B. wrote:I hate it when a "For Sale" ad does not include a contact phone-number.

LOL, yea and they probably are wondering why no one is calling! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 am

RiverRat wrote:If you want my thoughts, shoot me an offer. I'll gladly give them to you if the price is right.

'A penny for your thoughts"? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby easytoslip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:19 am

I'm pretty sure I've never considered something that doesn't list an asking price. Could be different if it were something hard to find/rare, but I'm a shop-around kind of buyer and put a lot of thought into what I want. If there's no price listed, I find a place that has a price listed and go with that. It's like doing crossword puzzles: It's sometimes easier to get the right answers if you put ANYTHING in some squares, so you can see what's not right first.
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:07 am

easytoslip wrote:I'm pretty sure I've never considered something that doesn't list an asking price. Could be different if it were something hard to find/rare, but I'm a shop-around kind of buyer and put a lot of thought into what I want. If there's no price listed, I find a place that has a price listed and go with that. It's like doing crossword puzzles: It's sometimes easier to get the right answers if you put ANYTHING in some squares, so you can see what's not right first.

That's cause you know what your doing!
Ya sure your not a trip hazard? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Smolder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:16 am

I think there are people who just don't know how to sell... And there are people who don't know what an item is worth. If its a big ticket item I'm tempted to look further. On big ticket items I like to have a conversation... And if I sense a player, I'll step away. It doesn't take much to how out a number hat benefits me, but is still fair. I guess I don't spend much time looking for a 'steal'. I'm far from rich, but I've actually sent a follow up payment (voluntarily) when a package arrived and it was not a fair deal.
Smolder

Next

Return to Garage Sale