Craigslist

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Craigslist

Postby seamones » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:26 am

The Twin I posted for sale here is also on Craigslist here in Seattle. Its starting to get some interest, but with a baby in the house, the wife has said no CL dudes in the house. Can't say I really disagree...

Anyone have any advice/experience with how to show gear, but not at your house?

I wonder what Guitar Center would do if I dragged this amp in and let a guy demo it.....

Thanks
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: Craigslist

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:39 am

My idea which I have never tried. Meet the guy in the parking lot and walk in together under the guise of him being your friend and under the guise of looking to get an estimate for GC to buy it.

Of course they'll test it out first.

The downside is that GC will quote you MUCH less than the agreed upon price with the purchaser who may then low-ball you...
strumminsix

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:09 am

Or tell your wife to suck it up! LOL :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby hgregs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am

my wife told me the same thing.

if your vehicle has a power outlet, meet in a parking lot, and plug it in there. my 4runner has a 3-prong outlet.

otherwise, find a public place with a power outlet (like a park).
Last edited by hgregs on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hgregs
bruce
bruce

Postby TRG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am

What about just showing the gear in your garage, enclosed porch or something like that...
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mgbills » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:44 am

I typically pre-screen by phone. Sold a Mesa 20/20 to a local guy on CL, and I could tell right away that he was a working musician. He asked intelligent questions, and knew just what he was looking for.

My wife gets nervous too. In fact our house got robbed this summer, so I feel she's justified. I'm also not afraid to ask friends in the business community if I can use a back office, warehouse space, or other available space that doesn't interfere with their business. Can't have a Ggnot Head blasting "Smoke On the Water" while your pal Marci is giving a massage!

Hope this helps.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby seamones » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:36 am

Good stuff, thanks guys. I didn't consider the GC low ball offer effect - thanks for bringing that up.

I have mostly had fine interactions selling stuff on CL, by doing a phone screen, a little google work and trusting the ole gut. I have had at least one kind of odd experience when a girl showed up to pickup a computer I was giving way with two street dudes....little weird and wasn't too psyched about that. I now ask (or prior to the wife's ban) who exactly will be coming to the house.

I like the park idea, although Seattle winter can pose a challenge.

Thanks again....
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:09 pm

If you have a tech with a store front... call him up and ask. Lot's of owner operated guitar stores will allow this as well... they're facilitating transactions is a way of getting guys that buy into the store. It would be common courtesy to call ahead and ask them though.

My wife has never said anything, but I'm nervous about having guys come by the house. With her and the kid there all day, it's not perfect. So far I have not had anyone stop that caused me concern. For non plug in items, I'll meet them half way... grocery store or bookstore parking lot.
Last edited by Smolder on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smolder

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Seattle is big enough to have open mics. I'd meet and demo it there, maybe. Then he gets to hear it in context (and you get a night out). Just an idea...
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby seamones » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:33 am

ugly rumor wrote:Seattle is big enough to have open mics. I'd meet and demo it there, maybe. Then he gets to hear it in context (and you get a night out). Just an idea...

That's a great idea. Although, this is a pretty young guy. I am gonna meet him and his dad where he takes lessons - just in case any of you were losing sleep. :lol:
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby seamones » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:17 pm

hgregs wrote:my wife told me the same thing.

if your vehicle has a power outlet, meet in a parking lot, and plug it in there. my 4runner has a 3-prong outlet.

otherwise, find a public place with a power outlet (like a park).

So the Twin is gone. And now I am looking at its replacement. I am meeting a guy half way between Seattle and Portland to hopefully make a purchase.

In regards to using the 12v outlet in my truck, will that provide enough amps to run a 50w amp?
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hgregs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 am

the outlet on my truck - 3prong (grounded) is 115v. from what i've read, it will do 150watts. so the 50w amp would work. if you're talking about a 12v outlet - i'm not sure that would work. i think it's 15amps - so you'd have 180w - but still not sure if this is doable.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=372307
hgregs
bruce
bruce

Return to Garage Sale