FA: Sarno Black Box

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Re: FA: Sarno Black Box

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 pm

This is one of those things I'd love to try before commiting to buy. Gots to find me a used one!
strumminsix

Postby rugger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 am

Dozin wrote:Weir said the same thing about the Black Box, how much hype do you need? haha

Bob goes through a lot of gear doesn't he? Honest question here. Is he still using it? And if by chance he isn't, I don't take that as any less of an endorsement of the product. I'm sure he has tons of stuff he likes but doesn't use. I know I do.

I think I'm with Strummin', I'd just like to try it before committing.

Peace,

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Dozin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:13 am

As far as I know he's still using it.

I'm telling you it brings out the beauty of your instrument. If you already have a UGB or active pickups there's no point. It's a HUGE difference if you have passive pickups.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby rugger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Dozin wrote:I'm telling you it brings out the beauty of your instrument. If you already have a UGB or active pickups there's no point. It's a HUGE difference if you have passive pickups.

Well I did just finish my Jer rig but I don't get to play that very often and I wouldn't need it with that. Could be cool for my "rock" setup. I have my eyes open for a used one.

Thanks for the comments.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 pm

FWIW, I was hesitant about buying one new without hearing it, but It's a phenomenal piece of equipment. I've been through a lot of buffers, and most can do the basic job of changing the impedance to prevent high-end loss over long runs. That's not too hard. But there are just a few that actually add something special to the sound IMO. The Zvex SHO is one - it adds an amazing, crisp clarity and punch. The Black Box is the other. It adds a sweet juicyness that smooths over the entire sound. It's almost like there is some low-level tube grind being added, but it's not a distortion that you hear - it's more how a guitar feels when you would otherwise be hearing that distortion if you were getting it from a loud amp. Sort of a give and take between the guitar and the tube. I realize that may not make sense to read, but that's my experience.

I saw the auction, and If I weren't in downsizing mode would have grabbed it myself to have a spare...
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Previous

Return to Garage Sale