Looking to buy: JBL K120

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Re: Looking to buy: JBL K120

Postby Smolder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 pm

I believe that is a re-cone, non jbl factory kit. Original cones would typically not have grease pencil hand writing and would have the 21032 number stamped on the back side of the cone. The Q of that Q/A is me btw.
Smolder

Postby abraxa28 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Right on!! Thanks for the info. From what I have gathered through google research is that those recone kit use a different type of voice coil (round copper instead of flat aluminum). I think I am now borderline obsessed on my quest for a damn speaker!! Does anyone know the difference in sound on the Waldom recone kit? I am still a novice as far as speakers go and am learning everything as I go (via google). If anyone has any info on those kits (from what I read they sound way duller than other recone kits; however, i am just getting my info from google and could be way off) that would be super, or again if anyone knows of a for sale d-120 or k-120 (8 ohm) with a better recone kit that would be awesome as well.
Arrows of Neon "Jam the music of the Grateful Dead."
http://www.arrowsofneon.com
abraxa28
tiger
tiger

Postby Smolder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I've been heavily researching these for the last six months. The paradox is that a factory kit recone will cost 300 plus about 50 shipping both ways. Yet, they are not that expensive used or with original cone. It's a lot of money for a speaker, and you end up with a K, even if you started with a D.

I had a D reconed by a guy on the east coast (vin-tone) and the results are great. I don't, unfortunately have a true D to compare with at the moment. I do have a factory recone coming from edge wound in the next week. I'm anxious to compare them... And to the E's I have.

There are some very clean original D's on eBay right now, but they are very expensive and I only need one. Some day soon I'll be in a place to grab one.
Smolder

Postby abraxa28 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:30 am

I think at this point I am ready to pull my hair out (or whats left of it). I had another one (d-120) fall through from someone on here. Then I had a deal worked out with someone on E-bay, and someone bought it out from under me at the last minute. I am now fully obsessed, the rest of the ones on e-bay are way out of my price range. So I figured I would keep looking here. Iwish I knew who took my K-120 I had from my jam space because this is starting to suck. So if anyone has any leads on a reasonably prioced D-120 (original cone or good recone). Please let me know. I would be forever in your debt.
abraxa28
tiger
tiger

Postby Smolder » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:42 am

@abraxxa

I'm on a similar quest. A bad twin deal (with two rotten D's and no recourse), then a nice original D shredded in transit. I have E's, K's and some re-cones, but would really like to find an original D as a reference point. Those on eBay are way rich for me... And some of the orange are reconed. Not sure the owners are aware. I found this last night... It might be helpful if you haven't read it.

http://www.fretboard.com/jblspeakerclarity.html
Smolder

Postby abraxa28 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:52 am

Great info...Thanks. If you ever want to get rid of one of you K's let me know. I miss the one I had sooooo much.
abraxa28
tiger
tiger

Postby mgbills » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 am

I will say that I find Craigslist to be the best for JBL speakers. I have the advantage of being between Seattle & Portland, so there's always lots of goodies (except Musitronics Mutron III"S). I found one pair on CL and the other pair in a used music store. For speakers, it's great to be able to test them, and look them over thoroughly.

I did buy an E120 on Ebay...only because nobody was watching & I got it for $99.00 + shipping.

Anybody wanna get rid of a Mutron for a reasonable price?

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby emanlooc » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:45 am

Hi, I'm was doing some searches about K120s because I just picked up a really nice pair in a 1976 Peavey Deuce. If anyone's still looking I have a pair for sale. You can see my CL listing with pics here http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2950113033.html. If you're interested, just respond to the CL listing.
emanlooc
welcome
welcome

Postby eric » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:39 am

Hey abra... Heres a really cool way to score some D's; look for vintage fender amps on CL and EBay.... Many times
people will be selling the amp with no clue what kind of speakers are in it.. As
Soon as you see some nice d120s in the pics? Buy the amp, pull the speakers, sell the amp
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Re: Looking to buy: JBL K120- caution

Postby NSP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 am

Just a word of caution based on personal experience....anyone looking for a K120 on ebay right now, you may want to avoid the listing from member 1ws123. Fortunately I was able to return the one I bought. It was poorly reconed with paper dustcap and basically not functional. I should have been more selective since the listing had no photo of the cone.

I can't say for certain the one that's currently listed has problems, but if you're a fan of the aluminum dust cap, as most of us are, you will want to pass.

Mod, you can delete this if it is inappropriate, not sure if this type of post is allowed.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby abraxa28 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Still looking for a JBL speaker :( The idea of finding a vintage amp is a good one, unfortunately for me I really don't have that kind of cash. I have since been outbid on e-bay on several K120's, and I found another on e-bay that ended up having a paper cone; however, got my money back...I kind of had a feeling that deal was a little too good to be true. So if anyone has a JBL to spare I would love to buy it, and would put it to good use. I am definately jealous of all of you that have scored one. I can't beleive I missed the post above of the guy selling the k's via craigslist. I check this forum regularly; however, if I take a few weeks from checking it seems like one always pops up and is sold. SO I intend to check RUKIND everyday...ya'll are stuck with me. Also, thanks to all who have posted with ideas and insight...this is truley an awesome community!
abraxa28
tiger
tiger

Postby NSP » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm

abraxa28 wrote:Still looking for a JBL speaker. I can't beleive I missed the post above of the guy selling the k's via craigslist.

Yep, I snagged those two K's from the craigslist post above. Fortunately, he was a great guy to deal with and I ended up with two excellent speakers. But this was after striking out on ebay twice, both with nasty coil rub. Was able to return both. Keep looking, you'll find yours.

Peace

-Tim
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby abraxa28 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Still no luck here :( I figured I would keep checking the board just in case someone was willing to part with ne or has a line on one. Additionally, I am not below someone selling me a K120 out of pity K-120 either....lol. Also just started playing with a new group of guys playing GD music. So I am even wanting one worse now.
abraxa28
tiger
tiger

Postby NSP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 am

abraxa28 wrote:Still no luck here :( I figured I would keep checking the board just in case someone was willing to part with ne or has a line on one. Additionally, I am not below someone selling me a K120 out of pity K-120 either....lol. Also just started playing with a new group of guys playing GD music. So I am even wanting one worse now.

I think your best bet is ebay or craigslist. It can be a crap shoot, but they're out there. Here's a pair currently listed on the bay -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-K-120-Speak ... 500wt_1172

I'd venture to guess that folks on this forum would have a hard time parting with any spares they might have if they're like me. But, if ya put a finger in the air you're bound to get a miracle.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Those two on ebay I asked the guy about, and he said they are in good shape; both are operable & no rub. He only has one pictured B/C he didn't want to pay for more pics, but he has dropped the price to $399.

If I was wanting two good K120's I would jump on that. $200 is the going price today and waiting for one at $120 will surely take A LONG TIME and A LOT OF LUCK! Its been over a year Ive been looking and I have resigned myself that to get a good set will require paying around $200 - 250. Sure Ive seen a few go cheap, but no luck to get them. Plus, ANY good new speaker will be more than that anyway. THESE are classic JBL's and LOTS are going overseas for sure. The one I won recently was thrown back in my lap because the seller wouldn't ship to Japan. I also had another sale where I could buy for the same reason a few months ago. People around the world are willing to pay BIG for them lately. Waiting has only made the price go up $50 over a years time. If you want them real bad, THERE THEY ARE FOR THE TAKING!!!! Good Luck!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Garage Sale