Looking to buy: JBL K120

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Re: Looking to buy: JBL K120

Postby redeyedjim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Consider this another data point, for whatever it's worth: I just took the sort of plunge JonnyBoy mentions above and bought a K120 on ebay for $200 (plus $25 shipping). I think the listing was less than 30 minutes old. I was searching on a whim, saw it in the results alongside the usual recone kits and more expensive European K120's that seem to be eternally listed, and decided I'd roll the dice with the speaker. The seller has a less-than-100% rep., which makes me nervous, but hopefully I'll get lucky :roll:

By the way, I saw this as well, potentially a pair of K120's for $350/BIN (+$65/shipping) in "square dance caller" enclosures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HILTON- ... 913wt_1165

The seller is a bit coy in the description about whether these are really JBL K120's, but if I needed a pair instead of the single I bought I'd probably write him and ask him to confirm that they were actually JBL K120s. That would be a decent deal if they were, in fact, K120's in those enclosures, as one could resell the bare enclosures after purchase for a bit of a rebate.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby spacefunkologist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:04 pm

I just emailed him about those tonight to get a proper photo of the speakers label. I wouldve grabbed them had I known that upfront. They look to be in good shape.
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby redeyedjim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Yeah, they look really clean. Good luck with 'em, I hope they're the real deal. I would have loved to have snagged them myself but I've acquired so much gear recently that I need to take a breather before my wife throws...er, drags me and my ever expanding collection of equipment to the curb. :lol:
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby spacefunkologist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:34 pm

I know all too well about the pitfalls of gear hoarding! Ive got a serious problem myself....

I know Weber has the D style speaker clone and Emi and Beyma do the E clone....Does anyone do a K clone?? Has this been dicussed at ridiculous lenths already?? If so, I apologize.
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:22 pm

The left speaker looks like it has a flaw in the cone. maybe a tear of stain. I don't think that's the grill making that shadow, by looking at the pictures. The surround also looks like a D120 to me. I saw those speakers too, and after studying them for an hour I saw the "flaw" and convinced myself they were D120's, but I can't be for sure.... :roll:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby spacefunkologist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:22 pm

I think Im done buying JBLs on ebay. I just bought a seemingly MINT E120 that arrived today. Cosmetically it was beautiful, probably the nicest example Ive ever seen. Major coil rub!! I was so bummed. Paid top dollar for it too. Thats the third E120 that Ive recieved with coil rub, all from sellers with good scores too. I cant win!
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Smolder » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 pm

sorry dude... i know that gut punch.
Smolder

Postby NSP » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 pm

spacefunkologist wrote:I think Im done buying JBLs on ebay. I just bought a seemingly MINT E120 that arrived today. Cosmetically it was beautiful, probably the nicest example Ive ever seen. Major coil rub!! I was so bummed. Paid top dollar for it too. Thats the third E120 that Ive recieved with coil rub, all from sellers with good scores too. I cant win!

Yep, that sucks, happened to me twice. I was refunded for both, but still a hassle. Good luck, you'll find what you're looking for eventually.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:37 am

I too am now in the market for two K120's with original cones in good condition. Thought I'd put out a feeler here!
I see one on Ebay with some gunk or something on the dust cover that might be able to be cleaned off. Price seems a little high, but I haven't been up to speed with the current prices.
Before I make a move on that and keep looking for another, maybe I'll get lucky and be able to get both from members here. :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Smolder » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 am

Hey hippie guy...

Just as a fresh perspective... I'm done trying to find original D cones. The paper is so old, mine are now starting to fail (all but one). You can stiff find decent K's, but it's a bit of a crap shoot. Apparently, sometimes, the cone will develop a sag, and rotating them can help with voice coil rub.

Also, I recently reconed a very old D with this kit:

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/m ... y_Code=KIT

I took my time, watched a couple of YouTube videos, and followed their instructions. It came out very well (my first ever attempt). YMMV, but just thought I'd share.
Smolder

Postby alcorelectric » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:31 am

alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:14 am

Thanks, Smolder! Re-conning might be an option down the road if I can't find good k120's, but for now I'm still looking.

Thanks for the link, alcorelectric!

I checked out the Peavey Black Widow 1201 and it seems to have higher power handling closer to the E120's of which I already have a few of.
From here :http://peavey.com/support/technotes/misc/blackwidow.cfm
SPECIFICATIONS
Power Handling
Continuous 350 W,
Program 700 W*
AES 600 W<

I'm specifically looking at the K120's for their lower power handling as well as sweet tone.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tatittle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 am

Yeah ebay seems to get sketchier everyday. I have bought a ton of speakers through them and they arrive dead/rubbing as often as not. The bright side is sometimes I get a refund without them requesting a return of the speaker (guess they do know its blown huh) and then I sell the speaker for recone. But this takes time and has very little return value. On the other hand I often only tested the speaker briefly, and when I go to use it find a problem...too late to claim any damage etc. Ive gotten a couple deals, but the time spent and bad deals outweigh those I think. Local buys or reputable businesses are probably wiser in the long run.

On the other end, selling can be a nightmare too. Buyers can merely claim thinjgs w/o evidence and the seller is out shipping plus any damage that may occur. I just rec'd a claim for a Ross distortion/phaser I sold that always worked perfectly, and they are hearty. I go out of my way to describe any issues just so I dont get these headaches/losses. The buyer only had 4 fb's...guess I should never have sent it, but it was a nice price. He says he tossed packing which means no claim, and if it is actually broken now Im out value plus shipping at a really bad time financially. Just cant rely on it either way, buying or selling. I will try and treat it as such from now on.

Interesting re: home recone. I have become more of a do it yourselfer, but I have tried reconing yet...the tight specs on JBL's has scared me away.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Previous

Return to Garage Sale