Modes and scales

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Postby spilly » Mon May 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Alright, I've made this argument before, I'm going to make it again. You people are getting over-analitical on these god-damned scales. fire on the mountain is in the KEY OF E MAJOR, the solo is not B mixo IT'S E MAJOR. Major A + Major B= KEY OF E. the trick is landing on a root note when apropriate.

Start on B, run through the Emajor scale for a measure, hit an A, run around Emajor for a measure, hit a B............Continue prossess.

If the song is in the Key of E, don't go confusing people by telling them to solo in B mixo. The song is in E already.

If the song is in E, and the solo is in E mixo, that is a different story all together.

as it goes, I think alot of things are getting way to in depth and over-complicated for being such simple premisis
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby waldo041 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:35 am

spilly wrote:You people are getting over-analitical on these god-damned scales.

this is the place to analyze.

spilly wrote: fire on the mountain is in the KEY OF E MAJOR,
yes, this is an overlooked fact

spilly wrote:the solo is not B mixo IT'S E MAJOR.

if you start on the B of E major scale you are in the mixolydian mode. This statement will only confuse as your statement below clearly say's it's at least partly B mixolydian and partly A lydian.

spilly wrote:Start on B, run through the Emajor scale for a measure, hit an A, run around Emajor for a measure, hit a B............Continue prossess.

B is Mixo, The A Is Lydian out of the key of E major

spilly wrote:If the song is in the Key of E, don't go confusing people by telling them to solo in B mixo. The song is in E already.

you just contradicted yourself, you just told us to solo in B mixo above.

i think that most player's want to be as close as they can or like myself are trying to learn music theory a little better. while you may like to be told to just play an E major scale and start on the B, knowing it is in B mixo out of the key of E works for me.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jahozer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:23 pm

man, I have not been here in a while and will dive right back into the discussion.
Yes Spilly, you are correct that it is indeed in E.
However, stating b mixo is helpful to setup your phrasing. By saying its in E implies that you run from E to E. Do that over Fire and it does not sound right. B mixo implies to run E major from B to B. Do that and voila! you got it nailed. It helps because there is really no E chord in FOTM to really nail down that E major scale.
If everyone has a better understanding of modal theory its much simpler to say B mixo than
Start on B, run through the Emajor scale for a measure, hit an A, run around Emajor for a measure, hit a B............Continue prossess.

I get frustrated, though, when I hear its in B, because it starts on B, and people use the (il)logic of assuming that the first chord is always the key. Especially with most Jerry songs, they almost always start on the V or the IV.
And really dude, where else do you get technical about this stuff other than a Grateful Dead music theory board.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:04 pm

jahozer wrote: It helps because there is really no E chord in FOTM to really nail down that E major scale.

while i totally agree with your post. i must correct you about being no E chord in FOTM. there is and it only shows it self in the chorus.

B-----------------A------- A-A-A-E-E-E
fire, fire on the mountain.

B-----------------A------- A-A-A-E-E-E
fire, fire on the mountain.

hope this makes sense. i believe i seen jerry use the C shaped E. but only the 1,2,3 strings so it feels like a D chord on the 4th fret.

C shaped E chord
E|--4--
B|--5--
G|--4--
D|--6--
A|--7--
E|-----

the way i seen jerry use it in the chorus.

E|--4--
B|--5--
G|--4--
D|-----
A|-----
E|-----

hope this helps.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jahozer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 am

yup! Thanks Waldo. That big fat chorus has that ol' E!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jahozer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:45 am

ya know you may have helped me clean that up a bit, because I kind of hit that chorus modally like:
BBB EEE AAA DDD.
Ima gonna go git my geetar. 8) then I have to go to work... :roll:
Thanks man.
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Previous

Return to The Think Tank II