Let it Grow

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Let it Grow

Postby spilly » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:52 am

hey guys,

I'd really like to learn this one, but I didn't even feel like trying all the question mark chords in the ru version, and with my new band I'm figuring out so many new tunes that I don't really have time to figure out something we're not going to play.

can somebody please hook me up with a non-question marked chord progression. I just don't have time to waste figuring out anything non band related.

it's funny, you work your ass of to play in a good band with the hopes that you wont have to work for a living, but the moment you find that band, it starts to feel an awful lot like work.

oh well, someday I'll eat the cake too.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby mikeohiostate » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:27 am

Code: Select all
Let It Grow

| Am7 /// |    %     | G#o7 /// |     %     | Am7  / / / |      %      | G#o7 /// |

| Am  /// | C / / /   | Am / / / |  C / / /   | Bm  / | D  / / /   |       %        |

| D  / / /  |    %     | A7 / / /    |     %     |      %       |      %      | D   / / /   |   %    |    %    |   %   |

| Bm / / /| Am  /// |      %     | C6  / / /  |       %      | C6 / | Esus2  / / / |    %      |

Verse 1     Morning comes, she follows the path to the river shore.

Lightly sung, her song is the latch on the morning's door

See the sun sparkle in the reeds, silver beads, pass into the sea.

She comes from a town where they call her the woodcutter's daughter.

She's brown as the bank where she kneels down to gather her water,

She bears it away with a love that the river has taught her.

Let it flow, greatly grow, wide and clear.

Verse 2      Round and round, the cut of the plow in the furrowed field.

Seasons round, the bushels of corn and the barley meal

Broken ground, open and beckoning to the spring, Black dirt live again.

The plowman is broad as the back of the land he is sowing,

As he dances the circular track of the plow ever knowing

That the work of his day measures more than the planting and growing.

Let it grow, Let it grow, Greatly yield.

Break        | Em  / B / | G / | Em  / / / | C / G / | Bm7 / / / |

| Em  / B / | G / | Em  / / / |  D  / / / | A  /  /  /   |

|G / Bm7 /| Em  / G / |C G D Em|

| Am  / / /  |  %  | C  /  /  /  |     %      | C / | Esus2 / / / |    %    |

What shall we say shall we call it by a name, As well to count the angels dancing on a pin.

Water bright as the sky from which it came, And the name is on the earth that takes it in.

We will not speak but stand inside the rain,

And listen to the thunder shouting "I am! I am! I am! I am

Lead = Verse

Verse 3      So it goes we make what we made since the world began.

Nothin' more then love of the women work of men

Seasons round, creatures great and small, Up and down as we rise and fall.

Part 1 of Jam  || : F Em D7 / | D7  /  /  /   | D7   /   -   -  :||

Part 2 of Jam  ||:  Am7  / / /   | / / G#o7 / :||

Part 3 of Jam  ||:  E  F#  G  / | E  F#  G  F | E  F#  G  E | Esus2 / / / :||

Mellow Step Down

Break       

Part 3 of Jam  ||:  E  F#  G  /  | E  F#  G  F  | E  F#  G  E | Esus2 / / / :||

Mellow Step Down

this alernate source comes from deadstein. i do think learning the rukind version would be a good use of your time.

try fire on the mountain wiwth your band, 2 chords, cant go wrong.
mikeohiostate
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 am

Fire on the Mountain = 2 chords can't stay awake! :P

For this reason, I unfortunately rush the transition jam just to get Fire over with after it's 10 minutes.

However, the beauty of this song is if you are running quickly through your set this little combo can help really level off your set time.
strumminsix

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am

even though those chords are question marked, they are the right chords. sit down & play them slow & listen to them...

i put off this song for a LONG time because of the "?" chord structure, but I was psyched when i finally sat down & really took a good look at it. it's a blast to play WRS > Let It Grow. One of my favs.

Now if ican just find a good solo to play in....
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 am

The 2 versions aren't exactly all that different.

E sus2 or Em/F#

How different are these really? Not very.

However, the ? notation is a diminished 7 shape which Deadstein did accurately note. I think for someone who is trying to learn a song it doesn't matter but for someone who wants to master a song it does.

Deadstein is wrong about the end jam it is an F#m
strumminsix

Postby spilly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am

mikes version is sounding pretty good.
thanks man

the F#m at thd end is sounding good too.

your absolutly right stum, it's like the Bm or D6 in the intro to uncle johns band, the only difference is the bass note. that's the beauty behind chord substitutions.

everything i got sounds pretty good, and since i don't care to master the song, either chord will do, (i'll probably pick the one that goes along best with my shitty voice)

thanks guys
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:59 pm

It's /Em F#m G ; /

mountains come out of the sky and they stand there... anyone else feel like Bob might been listening to a lot of Yes' latest album Fragile, while composing this? :-)
tigerstrat

Postby abstractstar » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:13 pm

i found out today that if playing on just an acoustic guitar, you can get away with just playing a kind of E7 and move up the neck, and throw in open strings as appropriate... like this:

E---------------
B---------------
G--1--4--7--10--
D---------------
A--2--5--8--11--
E--0------------

it's not 100% correct, no, but it works when playing solo on an acoustic guitar :) (and it's easier than the funky chords you're supposed to use!)

so maybe that can help you! the ?-chords ain't that hard, but this shortcut works out ok, at least in a solo setting. maybe with a band you'd want to get the real thing right. it's just one unusual chord (it's a bit tricky to learn, i know!) - which you move up the neck at the right intervals (frets 1-4-7-10, counting on the G-string).
abstractstar
Vince
Vince

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:43 pm

abstractstar wrote:i found out today that if playing on just an acoustic guitar, you can get away with just playing a kind of E7 and move up the neck, and throw in open strings as appropriate... like this:

E---------------
B---------------
G--1--4--7--10--
D---------------
A--2--5--8--11--
E--0------------

it's not 100% correct, no, but it works when playing solo on an acoustic guitar :) (and it's easier than the funky chords you're supposed to use!)

so maybe that can help you! the ?-chords ain't that hard, but this shortcut works out ok, at least in a solo setting. maybe with a band you'd want to get the real thing right. it's just one unusual chord (it's a bit tricky to learn, i know!) - which you move up the neck at the right intervals (frets 1-4-7-10, counting on the G-string).

Am I correct that you are subbing a bunch of different domininant 7 chords in place of the G#o7? I find that when playing solo acoustic it's even more important not to use fudgy incorrect chords or phrasing. Nobody to cover your ass! :smile:
tigerstrat

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:19 am

If I recall correctly, in View From the Vault I, Jerry plays the end of the "morning comes ..." line with some chords around the 7-12th frets. Sounds very good. Anyone have a handle on these?
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Walk down chords

Postby astroman99 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:28 am

who's got a handle on the mellow walkdown chords after the jam, it happens twice and goes into the chorus the second time...I think.
astroman99

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:16 am

thats funny that he said he didnt wanna waste his time learning a song. That makes no sense lol. But umm yeah I play those ?chords and they sound frikkin perfect in there BUT ive never actually heard the boys do it for one and secondly they dont even shift up the four chords like that. I hear them just stayin on one chord thru that part. Anyone else hear this also? and can anyone point out one where they do the run like its showed here?
BlobWeird

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:28 am

See my previous post - in the VFTV I, there's some good shots of Jerry playing some chords after the "morning comes" line, up to the 12th fret or so. It's definitely not the ?chords beginning on the 1st fret.
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Re: Walk down chords

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 pm

astroman99 wrote:who's got a handle on the mellow walkdown chords after the jam, it happens twice and goes into the chorus the second time...I think.

I tabbed it out in the song forum for LIG
strumminsix

Re: Walk down chords

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:18 pm

strumminsix wrote:
astroman99 wrote:who's got a handle on the mellow walkdown chords after the jam, it happens twice and goes into the chorus the second time...I think.

I tabbed it out in the song forum for LIG

Maybe that's where I can be refreshed on what a "? chord" is...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to The Think Tank II