Recording setup for practice

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Recording setup for practice

Postby sack the wack » Sat May 24, 2008 4:08 am

I'm pretty much an acoustic guy without alot of opportunity for jammin' with another guitar player. In lieu of that, anybody got any good suggestions on a good practice set up so I could put down some chords to play over? I don't want to break the bank and I don't want to buy more than I need but something that would be practical for general use. I've heard of looping machines? and I guess I'd need a 'mike'. Anything else I'd really need with it and what's a decent 'mike'? What would I maybe spend? I do have a late '50's Bassman if I need to plug in (or piss off the neighbor) or do I not have to worry about an amp. I'm pretty much a techno moron, it only took 30sec. to find the 'on' button for the computer. Any help in the right direction would great.
sack the wack
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Emoto » Sat May 24, 2008 6:44 am

The cheapest thing to do would be to find and download the free audio tool called Audacity and then plug a mic into your computer soundcard jack and record straight to your hard drive.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby bucketorain » Sat May 24, 2008 7:03 am

i used to recond on an old tape deck the chords then play it back and then play the lead over it.
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby jjbankhead » Sat May 24, 2008 8:59 am

Emoto wrote:The cheapest thing to do would be to find and download the free audio tool called Audacity and then plug a mic into your computer soundcard jack and record straight to your hard drive.

i second this i was prepared to drop a feww hundred on something and a friend brought over audacity on a lap top.

we plugged right into a mic jack, which doesn't provide the best recordings quality, but i believe you could use a sound blaster or something to get a better input or an interface of some sort either way it works fine for my uses and it is damn easy to use
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Return to The Think Tank II