Best advice Jerry gave me on soloing

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Best advice Jerry gave me on soloing

Postby Jon S. » Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 am

This is not advice he gave to me only - he shared it with everyone who read the same article (which I believe was in Guitar Player mag though it could have been elsewhere). Still, I feel like he meant it personally for me. :)

What Jerry said, essentially, was that, in his estimation, there are really only two basic kinds of solos. One works off of the song's melody line. The other leaves it.

So simple, yet profound and practical for jam-oriented lead players. By starting off with a melody-based lead, departing afterwards into the ether, and returning at the end, it's like using a pair of bookmarks to demarcate and ground your eclectic collection!.

To be honest, I can be lazy. I rarely care to work out very many leads note-for-note (disclaimer: exceptions: George, John, and Paul :) ).

But what I do enjoy doing, when first learning new songs or preparing to play them in an ensemble setting for the first time, is sitting down and learning single-note, tight versions of the melody lines to prepare for later soloing.

It really is a useful exercise. If you haven't ever tried it, consider giving it a spin.

Thanks again, Jer. :D
Jon S.

Postby bucketorain » Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 am

totally agree. soloing the melody gives the best picture of the song. Jerry was a master of hitting notes that sounded like someone was singing the verses or chorus.
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby milobender » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Total agreement here too :smile: and, if you are in a situation where you have to stick to a short, non-jam, instrumental, when you know the melody, you can put a nice tight and tasty lead in there and right back to the lyrics...
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby fatcat » Fri May 16, 2008 12:47 am

yea this is very useful, even for short little fills in between lyrics or right after a verse when you need a little pick me up in the song here or there. very nice idea
fatcat
TC
TC

Postby CaptainTrips » Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 am

To me the best Jerry advice on soloing is "When I start off playing a solo, I begin with the melody, and then Im either playing with it or against it"
CaptainTrips

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 16, 2008 6:35 am

That's so close to my paraphrased opening quote I'm thinking now it may well be what I remembered reading in the first place. Tonight I'll re-read the Guitar Player edition with the Garcia interview and see if it's there.
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 pm

CaptainTrips wrote:To me the best Jerry advice on soloing is "When I start off playing a solo, I begin with the melody, and then Im either playing with it or against it"

You win again, Captain! Excellent memory. Here's the exact quote I was thinking of - you nailed it:

Q. How do you approach building solos?

A. I start by learning a tune's literal melody - if there is one - in any position. Then I construct solos as if the melody was happening, and I'm either playing with it or against it. ...

GP, Dec. 2005, pg. 71
Jon S.

Postby Larree » Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 am

Jerry's guitar solos were more like wind solos, or even scat singing. They had breath. He would "sing" the melody on the first section, and then he would embellish it, and finally bring it either to a soaring peak or in for a smooth and gentle landing. He was fucking John Coltrane on guitar. Monsterous.
Larree
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to The Think Tank II