Best way to memorize ALL the notes on the fretboard

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Best way to memorize ALL the notes on the fretboard

Postby CaptainTrips » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:02 pm

Man, I was checking out the great tab creator, with the scale function and playing around with it and boy does it ever unlock your playing to know for certain that you are going to start a lick on a A and then resolve it to an E. Of course I cant always be looking at the website . . .

So has anyone fully undertaken this task? What is the best way to do it? What did you do?
CaptainTrips

Postby jackr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Well, of course practice practice practice comes to mind.

The best way I have found so far is to play scales and licks or even skipping around to random notes while saying the name of the note outloud.

Fretboard warrior can be kind of fun at first

http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboar ... rrior.html
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby kevo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:42 pm

As jack said, practice, practice and a lot more practice.
kevo
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby nicolasalk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:37 pm

i think i know them all
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby ViolaLee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:40 pm

I've been approaching this one from several angles and the main drawback is having the time. But having looked at multiple scale books and several dvd tuition numbers, I'd go for a Jimmy Bruno Dvd, he narrows the scales down to 6 scales that work either vertically or horizontal, whereas with the scale books you have to learn thousands of the things but they don't neccesarily sound good.

Bruno is a Jazzer first and foremost and has played with Sinatra and Tony Bennet and seems to keep you interested throughout. One of the nice things is there are a lot of slideups included which always seem absent from a lot of books/videos that I've come across.
ViolaLee
welcome
welcome

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:53 pm

the best way for me has been learning the chords and scales. by learning the root notes in the chords and scales its become quite easy for me to identify any note on the fretboard.

for example if someone pointed to the 9th fret on the g string, you realize that theres an E triad right here and one of the useful forms of the e pent. scale...it becomes really easy when you identify these relations and aptterns
caspersvapors

Postby IamDocWatson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 pm

take lick and melodies that you know and relocate to each of the notes around the neck..(like if your lick starts on the open 5th string A note try it start from the 3rd string 2nd fret A ND PLy the lick in that octave...do that all over the board..you will quickly realize the patterns of the board...a quick look through the book "fretboard logic" will give u a second viewpoint to add to the big picture
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Return to The Think Tank II