Favorite Bob Marley songs?

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Favorite Bob Marley songs?

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:28 pm

I dont know about anyone else but there isnt one Bob Marley song, that I dont like.
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Benthegoodbum » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:30 pm

Three Little Birds is a good one...I also really like Buffalo Soldier.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby nicolasalk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Now Woman No Cry
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby gratephulphish123 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:35 pm

a marley song i dont like is i shot the sheriff, but only the clapton version. love marleys original :lol:
gratephulphish123

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:04 pm

High Tide or Low tide
Rastaman Chant
Walk The Proud Land
Duppy Conqueror

Shit, they are all pretty great. Any of the stuff with him Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer is just unbeatable.

While we are on the subject, they re-released the album Talkin' Blues a couple of years ago, remastered with some bonus tracks. If you don't have it, buy it, it is unreal.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby Rev_Roach » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Yeah I'd be hard pressed to think of one I don't like. Some of my favorite are Lively Up Yourself, Concrete jungle, Wait\ in Vain, the whole Burnin album, One Drop, Johnny Was and Crazy Baldhead
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby BuddhaG » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:01 pm

i would have to add Soul Shakedown and Kaya to the list of already mentioned tunes. also, he's like the bob dylan of jamaica. talented lyricist who talks of people, politics, love, everything under the sun. his vocal melodies are beautiful.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby Erictw83 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Trenchtown Rock

"One good thing about music, when it hits ya, you feel no pain"

Marley is most excellent
Erictw83
Brent
Brent

Postby krzykat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:28 pm

I love them all! I was on the bus traveling cross country listening to some early Marley (years ago) and some cat was emphaticly telling me that it wasn't Marley. I just laughed
krzykat

Postby amyjared » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:46 pm

Yeah! Love it all! "Hey Mr. Cop, got no birth certificate on me now!" "Rasta don't work for no, CIA!" I have the double dvd of his show (at the Rainbow?) and it's great! One DVD is the show and the other is a documentary and some extra shit. Totally worth picking up.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby big_river_bum » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:22 am

concrete jungle for sure. i moves me like no other song of his. i can't imagine how emotionally important that song would be to me if i was actually from a terrible background such as a ghetto. that song really puts things in perspective. you think your having a back run of luck and then listen to that song, smile, and realize you could have it a lot worse.

actually, all of 'catch a fire' is amazing. one of the top 10 albums of all time imho. and i'm not even a huge marley fan
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby big_river_bum » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:23 am

and that dvd that amyjared speaks of is truly great. i think you can get it for like 10 bucks. the performances of concrete jungle, stir it up, among others on the documentary are trance like. i don't watch the concert too much
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 am

I was really into Marley when he first came on the scene. His music was magical, new and refreshing. Marley inspired me to go see Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer (which make up the three original Wailers). Marley then became somewhat of a staple for the masses and too mainstream for my tastes.

Bunny never really did it for me.

Tosh seemed to be connected at a different level that for some reason really spoke to me. If you love Bob and have never checked out Tosh, do yourself a favor and give him a listen..
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:22 pm

ive always really liked natural mystic a lot
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:27 pm

Have to agree with mutant dan on the Peter tosh sentiment. Check out his Equal Rights and Mama Africa albums.

"Like a steppin' razor don't you watch my size, I dangerous, dangerous."

As for the #1 Bob song, gots to be Jump Nayabingi off of Confrontation (a great and often overlooked album).

"It gives great joy to see such sweet togetherness, everyone doin', and their doin' their best."
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Next

Return to The Think Tank II