What are we all upto?

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Postby AugustWest » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:45 am

We have a 64,000 square feet facility with over 160 employees (and 500 dogs and cata) and only 5 guys. so a building that big needs a lot of bathrooms even though most of the creatures in the building don't use them.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Currtwuzheere » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:04 am

since most of you are have been playing for awhile and have jobs, i figured id post something

I'm 15 and I live in Az, and like D-V-S said, most ppl my age are into rap and metal. I started playing May of 06, and im alrite i guess for a beginner.

Im takeing this summer off from work cause i kno itll prolly be my last (though i could get a job drafting, i got my architetural CD last month, mkaeing me the first freshman frm the state to get a CD). ive been spending almost every free minute practeing guitar. i sometimes play with my dad and his friend who both play and listen to the same stuff i do.

Im currently working on a Cd for a friend of mine who moved a few months back, notin really good, just some basic songs. scarlet begonias, landy with a fan, you got her in your pocket(white stripes), buckingham Green(ween) to name a few, all solo and acoustic
Currtwuzheere
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby whitelacestrange » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:38 am

wow, there are a lot of really interesting folks on this site, i never realized it being the kid i am, prety much always thinking like the world doesnt exist past the long island sound. but i guess im lucky, the dead is all over the place here, their are plenty of people to jam with, i have no responsibilities, i work at best buy, which provides me with money to buy cd's, games, guitar stuff, and some really good ganja.

im 18, i'm heading off to UAlbany for college in the fall, exciting i guess.....

but yea i guess i forgot youngeters are the minority on this site. at least im getting some good advice on what to do with my life... early retirement to France seems like a good plan.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby golfnutt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:45 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W-kZ-xAnwsk

I was on youtube the other day watching vids of the dead and this came up, thought you might be interested as these guys are from Tuscon...

Thanks for for the info. I am about 2.5 hrs from Tucson but do have to go there for work occational. I'll have to check them out
golfnutt
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mutant_dan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:41 am

whitelacestrange wrote:
im 18, i'm heading off to UAlbany for college in the fall, exciting i guess.....

Enjoy the new found freedom and good luck with college.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 pm

Well, I live in Maine, and there are a good amount of heads and like-minded people up here, but the music scene can get pretty beat sometimes. Lots of metal, scream at the top of your lungs while swallowing the mic type of music. I can't stand that stuff. There is some good music, it's just not prevalent all the time.

I am currently in a jam band cover band called Heavy Dime (http://www.myspace.com/heavydime) and it's a blast playing with those guys. I've been playing guitar for almost 7 years, and have only been playing lead for about a year, year and a half, maybe. I decided one day that I just wanted to learn more about what all these good guitarists (JG, Bobby, Trey, etc.) were doing, so I sought out the best guitarist in Portland (Richard Corson of "A Band Beyond Description" http://www.myspace.com/abandbeyonddescription) and started taking lessons from him, focusing on theory, modes, scales, etc. What a difference that made! Totally opened my eyes to what else is out there.

Anyways, we practice once a week and try to play out once a month, though it's been 3 months since we played out because we replaced our keyboardist.

We play Dead, Phish/Trey, Talking Heads, Marshall Tucker Band, Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, and a bunch of 80's covers, because people always like to hear the 80's. Check out our setlists under our "blog" and let me know what you think!

That's about it for me. :smile:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby BuddhaG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 pm

hey shakedown, listened to some samples on myspace and i like what you guys are doing. your band defintely makes the songs their own. i can see a lot of happy people in the bars :)

seeing all the bands of people on this site it makes me wanna get out with my friends and play... too bad my "band" is only together during the schoolyear.

i was gonna go out tonight but i think ill just practice some songs and take it easy.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm

BuddhaG -

Thanks man! :cool: :smile: Much appreciated. You kind of hit it right on the head....our goal is to take the songs and put our own creativity into them and see what happens. The fun thing is that the songs are different everytime they come out, even we don't know what they're gonna sound like until we're playing them. Sorry about my guitar going out of tune during the beginning of Bathtub Gin...it really shows up bad for a line or two :oops: :x but then I corrected it after the first verse while the keyboardist tokk a small solo.

We've got a gig at one of the better and bigger bars in town this weekend, so we're psyched! Played there a few times already, but this will be our (new) keyboardists first time. He initially thought we were only playing for like an hour or so (sharing the bill with another act or something), but I was like "no dude....we're jamming from 9 till close!" and he was like "ohhhhh shit! sweet!"

This bar, Bubba's Sulky Lounge, is wicked cool, too. It's got a lit-up dance floor in the middle that lights up when you step on it :hail: (it's our profile pic on the myspace page), so all the patrons love getting drunk :drink: and going out on the disco-esque dance floor, but the sound is tough sometimes because it's all brick in there, and there is TONS of crap on the walls and hanging from the ceiling.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Previous

Return to The Think Tank II