Feelin Alright!

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Feelin Alright!

Postby jackaroe1276 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:42 pm

Mix was definately a bit spotty, but what the hell.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/20/ ... lright.mp3

To the mods and owner of this site, I realize I've kind of been a song whore, so if I'm over the line please just let me know. I just enjoy getting opinions from like minded people!
jackaroe1276
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby d-v-s » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:09 am

jack -
i thought the song was well done. I've never heard the original of this song - the only version I've heard of this song was Joe Cocker doing it live on "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" - so to me your version seemed a bit mellow.

I like how you've done this in your own style - your voice sounds real good, btw - good lead and rhythm guitar, but personally, I was just waiting for it to really kick in during the "feelin alright, not feelin' to good myself" bits. The beat felt a little too monotone for me (maybe there's a beat change there or something??), but that could be my own prejudices with the song.

That said, i thought it was really good. i've listened to it a few times, and will probably listen to it again. Thanks for sharing.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 am

You've never heard the Traffic version? The best by far.

d-v-s wrote:jack -
i thought the song was well done. I've never heard the original of this song - the only version I've heard of this song was Joe Cocker doing it live on "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" - so to me your version seemed a bit mellow.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby nicolasalk » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:08 pm

i like grand funk version
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby jackaroe1276 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:00 pm

d-v-s wrote:jack -

I like how you've done this in your own style - your voice sounds real good, btw - good lead and rhythm guitar, but personally, I was just waiting for it to really kick in during the "feelin alright, not feelin' to good myself" bits. The beat felt a little too monotone for me (maybe there's a beat change there or something??), but that could be my own prejudices with the song.

That said, i thought it was really good. i've listened to it a few times, and will probably listen to it again. Thanks for sharing.

Cool, I appreciate it. Traffic's version is definately a bit more mellow. I actually changed up the song slightly by adding the electric rhythm, which is actually quite similar to "I'll be the one" by Gov't Mule. I'm not particularly thrilled with some of the lead runs over it. After having listened a few times now myself I felt the same way. I really don't think it's in need of a tempo change so much as a "raunchier lead" in some spots, especially the end. Maybe I'll add some kind of chromatic tension run to kind of similate that tempo buildup and then go apesh*t :cool: !!

Vocally, the main vox are the first and only run. I then went and added the harmonies. I think I'm going to re-record the main vox because I'm not really happy with alot of it, I also agree that some nice vocal buildup at the end would do the trick. There will definitely be a 2nd version of this. I appreciate the feedback!
jackaroe1276
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jackaroe1276 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Here's a bit of an update. I redid the main vox and added a small bit of flare. On the guitar I changed the first lead, although I still don't like it. Man my hands are seriously tired and it's starting to show a bit in my playing. At the end I just built up the volumes a bit to keep it from being monotoned throughout. Subtle but definitely an improvement in the sound overall.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/20/ ... lright.mp3
jackaroe1276
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:54 am

jackaroe1276 wrote:Here's a bit of an update. I redid the main vox and added a small bit of flare.

You realize of course, that 15 pieces is the minimum amount of flare that is acceptable. But would YOU want to jam with a person who only did the bare minimum that required of him?? Hmmm?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BuddhaG » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:56 pm

hey jackaroe, i really dig your recordings. i think that you have a great voice, you've got soul brotha.

keep doin' your thang!
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby jackaroe1276 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:39 pm

BuddhaG wrote:hey jackaroe, i really dig your recordings. i think that you have a great voice, you've got soul brotha.

keep doin' your thang!

Hey thanks man! I'm starting to settle in and get aquainted with my voice, so it's at least becoming easier if not better.
jackaroe1276
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jackaroe1276 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:39 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
jackaroe1276 wrote:Here's a bit of an update. I redid the main vox and added a small bit of flare.

You realize of course, that 15 pieces is the minimum amount of flare that is acceptable. But would YOU want to jam with a person who only did the bare minimum that required of him?? Hmmm?

Haha, well, I did change about 15 notes of a solo!! Doesn't that count?
jackaroe1276
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby krzykat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:12 pm

Panic does a great vervion of this song too

krzykat

Postby mlynn2600 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:45 pm

heres a version my band did last year at a club in philly...let me know what you all think. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCNGbOWmp3U
mlynn2600
bruce
bruce

Return to The Think Tank II