Loops for learning lead

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Loops for learning lead

Postby qiuniu » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Hey, thought I'd get some cross thread action for those that might have not have seen this:

qiuniu wrote:
phpbb wrote:funny you should ask, one of our members (qiuniu) wanted to contribute to the site after seeing the hard work ed, bill and strummin did with the videos. He put together a looped recording of Eyes of The World which can be downloaded here:

http://audio.rukind.org/samples/Eyes_of_the_World__gd77_03_19d3t1ru._.wav

Thanks to the admin here for posting this for me!

Been trying to learn how to play lead like Jerry (of course) and have found these loops incredible helpful. What I do is find parts of songs where Jer is either screwing with his settings or is trying to toss the ball Pig or someone and the rest of the band is playing, cut out that part and edit it and try to make it as seemless as possible. This Eyes loop that I cut out is actually 1/2 length on the actual show. The aforementioned link is from one of my favorite shows, and one of my favorite Eyes.

Basically all I do is get this loop going and turn it up, match my guitar levels appropriately and start playing through E Ionian:

Which I found here:

http://jguitar.com/scale?root=E&scale=I ... tes=sharps

If anyone has any questions, or more explanation or would be interested in me posting more loops please feel free to ask!
"Everybody can dance if they want to, that means everybody...That means you all can dance if you want to, in fact its nicer, there's no point in watching us, we don't do anything we don't normally do." Jerry 01/17/68
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby dahmbomb » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:09 am

http://www.highcountryguitar.com/

If you go to this site and click on MIDI play along on the left you will get some familiar loops and the modes to solo in

Enjoy!
dahmbomb
tiger
tiger

Postby caspersvapors » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:26 pm

nice work, Ive been trying to make loops myself but using my own recordings since i dont know about editing and stuff

I believe jerry also used E mix in Eyes
caspersvapors

Postby Shooster » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:14 pm

The trouble that I have with a big block of one scale like that is i can never tell when is the appropriate fingerings for any position. Does anyone have a link to scales that have notation for proper fingering?
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby qiuniu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Shooster wrote:The trouble that I have with a big block of one scale like that is i can never tell when is the appropriate fingerings for any position. Does anyone have a link to scales that have notation for proper fingering?

Well personally I really like to start with that B on low E on the 7th fret and run towards the high E. Since B is the 5th of E it kinda works and you're at that E before you know it. I've kinda thrown away the idea of 'correct' positions because I found some of the neatest stuff getting bored with the positions I know and then and using some combo that I hadn't seen before.

That being said I believe what you are looking for is granted to us by the guy who created this site:

http://tabcreator.rukind.org/#

Goto the right in the middle and select the scale you want and then right below the displayed scale you can click on I ii iii IV V vi vii and it will display the position for you. Its pretty keen and since I didn't learn the correct positions its cool because I just randomly click on one of them and it displays some of the pattern in ways I did think about connecting them!
"Everybody can dance if they want to, that means everybody...That means you all can dance if you want to, in fact its nicer, there's no point in watching us, we don't do anything we don't normally do." Jerry 01/17/68
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby qiuniu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:01 pm

Just in case I'm not just talking to myself here...

Here's a list of all the loops I have so far. If anyone is interested pm me and send me some blanks.

After Midnight (jg&ms72-12-20d1t1).wav

Artists Only (th79-08-08t1).wav

Baby Please Don't Go (jg&ms72-12-20d1t3).wav

Break on Through drums.wav

Dancin' in the Streets (gd76-06-11d2t6).wav

Dark Star (gd70-05-15d6t1).wav

Dark Star Loop (gd69-02-05t4).wav

Easy Wind 1 (gd70-05-15d2t3).wav

Easy Wind 2 (gd70-05-15d2t3).wav

Easy Wind 4 (gd70-05-15d2t3).wav

Expressway to Your Heart (jg&ms72-12-20d1t4).wav

Expressway to Your Heart (lom74-10-31d1t2).wav

Expressway to Your Heart 2 (jg&ms72-12-20d1t4).wav

Eyes of the World (gd77-02-26d3t2).wav

Eyes of the World (gd77-03-19d3t1 loop).wav

Favela (jg&ms74-09-01d1t4)

Fennario Loop (77-03-19d1t6).wav

gd68-10-10d1t1.wav

gd68-10-10d2t1 Jam 2.wav

gd69-08-28d2t3 Jam.wav

Georgia on my Mind (jg&ms72-12-28d1t7).wav

Good Lovin' Groove (gd70-04-03d2t3).wav

Good Lovin’ Jam (gd70-05-02d2t8)

Hard to Handle (gd70-05-15d5t3).wav

I Second That Emotion (jg&ms72-12-28d2t2).wav

It's a Man's World (gd70-04-09t3).wav

Jam Loop (gd70-04-15t5).wav

Keepers (jg&ms72-09-24d1t2).wav

La La (jg&ms72-09-24d1t6).wav

Lovelight Jam (gd70-04-24t11).wav

Lovelight Jam 2 (gd68-10-10d2t2).wav

Man Child Insturmental (jg&ms72-09-24d2t2).wav

Neighbor, Neighbor (jg&ms74-09-24d1t1)

NFA (gd77-05-26d3t1)

Ollin Arrageed (gd78-11-24d3t3).wav

Other One (gd69-11-07d2t6)

Roadhouse Blues (doors@PNE1970d1t1)

Save Mother Earth Jamjg&ms71-09-24.wav

Scarlet Begonias (gd77-05-08d2t4).wav

That's Alright Mama 1 (jg&ms72-12-20d1t8).wav

That's Alright Mama 2 (jg&ms72-12-20d1t8).wav

The End (doors@PNE1970d1t9)

This Must Be the Place (Talking Heads).wav

Viola Lee Blues (gd70-05-02d3t4)

Unknown Song (jg&ms72-12-20d2t3).wav

When the Music's Over.wav
Last edited by qiuniu on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby shakedown_04092 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:16 pm

I'd be interested to hear both Eyes, the Good Lovin, and the Naive Melody if you have loops of those. Thanks.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby qiuniu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:21 am

shakedown_04092 wrote:...Naive Melody if you have loops of those. Thanks.

You got show date for that song?

One of the Eyes is in the first post, otherwise unless there is enough interest here I probably can't post your requests.

Please feel free to pm me and send me a blank for your requests.
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:30 am

qiuniu check your pms
caspersvapors

Postby jck_strw » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:39 am

qiuniu

That's great. I use your Eyes loop quite a bit. Rather than send these to people on blanks, would you be willing to upload them to the rukind.org site somewhere? I'm sure the server gods would make some room for this kinda thing.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby qiuniu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:16 am

jck_strw wrote:qiuniu

That's great. I use your Eyes loop quite a bit. Rather than send these to people on blanks, would you be willing to upload them to the rukind.org site somewhere? I'm sure the server gods would make some room for this kinda thing.

Okay pm'd admin here and looks like I got the green light to post what people request. Got a day off tomorrow and I can probably put it up then. Stay tuned...
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby Rev_Roach » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:27 pm

heres a couple loops ive made lately. right now its FOTD, Liberty, and TLEO Some quality loss from recording it onto computer but still works as something to jam with

http://www.esnips.com/web/revroach-loops
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby qiuniu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:14 pm

Rev_Roach wrote:heres a couple loops ive made lately. right now its FOTD, Liberty, and TLEO Some quality loss from recording it onto computer but still works as something to jam with

http://www.esnips.com/web/revroach-loops

Nice work there. I think I like tleo the best.

If you can ever find in listening to shows any snippets of these songs where Jerry is not singing or playing lead over these parts I would appreciate anyone dropping me a line on the show date and (if possible) the actual times in the tracks. Any year is appreciated. Thanks.
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Dead minus one practice tracks

Postby KaCey0211 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:03 pm

There's a real dearth of commercial practice material for Grateful Dead fans, at least to my knowledge. There's plenty of stuff for Clapton or any headbangin's hair band you can name. But there are few transcription and guitar method books that focus on the Dead, and even fewer backing tracks beyond the usual suspects: "Truckin'" and "Casey Jones." And its always the studio versions. And trying to learn the Dead's style from those is a waste of time, in my view. I remember reading an interview with Garcia in which he said he could never manage to copy a lick perfectly, so learning songs note-for-note doesn't make sense to me.

Improvising is what's really important. Someday, some enterprising soul with a band -- maybe the Dead organization itself -- will realize there's a real demand for a "music-minus-one"-type recording of the Dead's catalogue. But until that day comes along, there's always the recording of the Dead's live appearance on Radio Luxemburg on 4-17-1972, right in the middle of their European tour. Luckily, the sound engineer on the broadcast did a lousy job, the result being that Weir, Lesh, Billy et al are mostly in one channel, with Weir recorded seriously LOUD, while Garcia is seriously underrecorded, practically alone, on the other. That means that you can practically eliminate Garcia from the mix simply by turning the balance knob on your computer or stereo. There's barely a trace of him left, even during the solos, because Weir has so much volume. I play through my computer with a GuitarPort set up, and I can't hear Garcia, even a foot and a half away from my speakers.

Obviously, that's good for practicing lead, but it also allows you to practice playing the kinds of little fills and chordal riffs during the vocals that Garcia excelled at. Plus, you really get a chance to hear what Weir, who I think is seriously underappreciated as a guitar player, is doing. His style is every bit as idiosyncratic and out-of-the-box as Garcia's and complement the Bearded One perfectly.

The band is very tight, at the peak of its powers, with everyone playing with great energy. And the setlist is a dream:

Bertha
Me and My Uncle
Mr. Charlie
Sugaree
Black Throated Wind
Chinatown Shuffle
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Beat it on Down the Line
Hurts Me Too
Tennessee Jed
Playing in the Band
Promised Land
Truckin'>
drums>
The Other One
Sing Me Back Home
Sugar Magnolia
Not Fade Away>
Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad>
Not Fade Away
Encore: One More Saturday Night

You can even step away for a smoke just like the boys during the drum solo.

There is at least one site where the show can be downloaded as one big wav file. You can then split it into individual tracks. It's called Sugarmegs.

Now I also have a question, or actually two questions: Are there any other shows out there like this one? And two, does anyone know how Jerry might be scrubbed out of the Radio Luxembourg recording even more completely? Is there some kind of software, or special audio engineering knowledge/skill that might do the trick? If you do, let's chat.
There still is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert
KaCey0211
rukind?
rukind?

Postby gr8fulbluz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 am

Guitar one mag did an art of Jam issue in Aug 2006. They had an "interpretation" of Touch of grey backing track. I think it is pretty cool and funny-thing i just put it in my computer to practice with yesterday
:cool:

I do want a dead instructional DVD, but I am not sure which one to get.

here is a NFA backing track that I found
http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Bo%20Diddely
gr8fulbluz

Next

Return to The Think Tank II