7-2-1995: Gate Crashing Incident

7-2-1995: Gate Crashing Incident

Postby vermont4jerry » Thu May 04, 2006 3:44 pm

alright so i heard this story one time that on the night of the gate crashing jerry received a death threat before the first set and so the boys decided to throw dire wolf in... has anyone heard a similar story or is this just made up hippie lore that makes the dead that much cooler?

i hope somebody can help me out with this cause i grew up five minutes from where it happened and i remember it happening
love the life you live
live the life you love
vermont4jerry
rukind?
rukind?

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 04, 2006 4:11 pm

Yes that is true. Before the gate crashing a death threat was received and the did keep the house lights on throughout the show.

When the gate came crashing down the extra security needed to help keep the scene sane meant few for the band.

Because of that security said they would not be in the stadium for the next night and they cancelled the show.

That's how I recall it...
strumminsix

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Thu May 04, 2006 4:54 pm

Hey man, check out "Gate Crashers Suck" by Keller Williams. They got some good live versions on Archive.org, and it's on his "Stage" Cd.
phreaker

Postby waldo041 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:13 am

that is absolutely true! i was there and they had the house lights on the whole night because of the threat.

and they did do a dire wolf because of the threat, and after they crashed the fence the boy's pulled out a New Speedway Boogie in the second set.

one way or another, this darkness got's to give.

07-02-95 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, In. (Sun)
1: H. C. Sunshine*, Walking Blues*, Dire Wolf*, All Over Now*, Broken Arrow*, Desolation Row@*, Tennessee Jed, Let It Grow*
2: Scarlet*> Fire*> Victim*> All Too Much> New Speedway*> Drumz> Attics*> Sugar Magnolia E: Mighty Quinn*
*final version fences crashed after "Broken Arrow" - final/last "Desolation Row": 10-10-94 [61] - "Fire" was first verse only

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby vermont4jerry » Fri May 05, 2006 7:37 am

Thanks for all the info everyone... great stuff about the setlist and when the gates came down... Waldo did you camp out at Forest Park for that show? I remember my mom always taking my brothers and I over there when the dead heads came to town to check it out.
love the life you live
live the life you love
vermont4jerry
rukind?
rukind?

Postby phpbb » Fri May 05, 2006 10:50 am

Is that the camp ground near the river?
phpbb

Postby tigerstrat » Fri May 05, 2006 3:36 pm

I was high on the lawn on Phil's side during Desolation when I looked across to the opposite side of the lawn and began to see wave upon wave of what at first appeared to be Huns or Saxons or maybe Mongols ("stupid Mongolians-tearing down my shitty-wall!") pouring over and through the fence. Then suddenly, people coming from behind me were sprinting down the hill all around me, and I had to actively avoid getting run over (instead of dancing to the music as I had been doing a few seconds before)... the second set was PACKED after that... and the Fire On The Mountain had ONE verse before it careened into Victim. Very weird.

It turned out to be my last show ever, because I came down with the mumps the day of the first Soldier... TOO weird!

Forest Park is the town park in Noblesville, I have a story about that too- in 1989, the FIRST year of Deer Creek, I was with my friends after the (single) show and we needed a place to camp, so we actually asked a cop in the ALDI Foods parking lot where we could go. He told us how to get to Forest Park and that we could just camp there. So my 2 friends and I trundle over in our little Tercel and pitch a tent in the middle of this HUGE forested park... deserted except for one other vehicle camping there, a VW Bus. Sweet peaceful crash spot after a tremendous show (7/15/89)... the following year, 1990, I'm heading down to the (2) shows w/some friends, telling them about this spot I know where we can camp, so we go before the shows to scope out a nice spot in Forest Park and... the park is COVERED with wall-to-wall Deadheads!! We barely found a spot left to camp. But it was still free...

The NEXT year... the city finally got wise and was now charging $20 a vehicle!! And the cops had become MUCH meaner...
Last edited by tigerstrat on Tue May 23, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigerstrat

Postby vermont4jerry » Fri May 05, 2006 4:01 pm

thanks for the post tiger... that's an awesome story, i'm glad i've finally heard it from someone who was there

phpbb, yes that's the place by the river
love the life you live
live the life you love
vermont4jerry
rukind?
rukind?

Postby phpbb » Fri May 05, 2006 5:38 pm

the image at the top of the home page is actually a picture taken at the 91 Deer Creek Shows. I am in there somewhere.
phpbb

Postby O' Tim » Sun May 07, 2006 9:51 am

Interesting times, indeed. I remember paying $20 bucks to park in some guys yard a half mile away because it was quicker to walk than to wait in the line for the main lot (which probably would've been full by the time we got there).

The gate crashing sucked, and I think along with the deck collapse in St. Louis it was karma's way of confirming that the scene had become overrun by immature over-the-top ragers who were just there for the party and didn't give a flip about the music. They'd always been around to a degree since I started seeing shows in 1981, but by '95 it was definitely like the NSB lyric "this darkness got to give."

FWIW - I don't mean to be insensitive about those who died on the deck - it's very sad that it came to that.

Jerry's death was a blow to all of us who loved him, but sometimes I think that there was more to his passing than just his health/drug addiction.
O' Tim
welcome
welcome

Postby tigerstrat » Sun May 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Perhaps it could be viewed a sort of generic omen of Jerry's impending death but I don't see how a tragic accident like the deck collapse reflects the bad eggs of the scene that precipitated the fence-crashing, bottle-throwing riot at Deer Creek in 95. [/i]
tigerstrat

Re: 7-2-1995: Gate Crashing Incident

Postby whitelacestrange » Mon May 15, 2006 8:57 pm

you'd have to be really fucked in the head to give jerry a death threat.
maybe the guy just wanted them to do dire wolf?
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzuMCVVK ... ful%20dead

found a video of the actual gate's crashing.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby nedcat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:30 pm

I was there with my RV and hated every second of that crash. DISPISED the little college jerkoffs that broke the kharma....hope they are all dead and very un-grateful.
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:42 pm

Ned, did you really see the group who did it?
Seems to me from video that it was a flood of people.

IMO, the people crashing the gate and the people
flooding in are equally to blame.

At that time I saw more dirty begging wookies in the lot
than I saw "college jerkoffs" just looking to get high.

But I wasn't there. Sadly, the scene was not a hippie scene when I got on the bus.
strumminsix

Next

Return to The Think Tank