Rig Suggestions. Help wanted.

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Not sure if I follow your count- looks like you are treating each measure as one half? Each line of the verse is two 7/4 measures by my reckoning.

Count it out:
1 and
2 and
3 and
4 and
5 and
6 and
7 and

You are playing JG's lines and they are leads. For the rhythm you are stuck counting.

Cool! Viewing excuses...

What do you mean by this?
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Wed May 03, 2006 12:03 am

strumminsix wrote:
Not sure if I follow your count- looks like you are treating each measure as one half? Each line of the verse is two 7/4 measures by my reckoning.

Count it out:
1 and
2 and
3 and
4 and
5 and
6 and
7 and
OK, I take this to mean that you are combining the 14 beat phrase into one measure
You are playing JG's lines and they are leads. For the rhythm you are stuck counting.
Everyone has to follow the count. Playing "lead" is no exception, and Jerry's parts are chordal vamps for the first part of the verse. 1...and7,1...6,7,1... sorry to hijack this thread about the rig suggestions. We could continue in the Estimated song forum

Cool! Viewing excuses...
What do you mean by this?

Referring to this:
cool thing is i get to run thru the video's again.
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 am

Ahhh, get it thanks.

I know you have to stay on the beat but I with the riff following the tempo I just find it 10 times easier to be playing the riff than the chords on that song. Because the riff progresses uniquely over the timing and once the pattern is done, it's the 1 of the next vs. the rhythm where there is no pattern it's just counting.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Wed May 03, 2006 9:05 am

But you still gotta count, either way 8) ...it's very helpful if the drummer(s) hits the crash on the 1.
tigerstrat

Postby ssrythm » Wed May 10, 2006 6:02 pm

Ok doods...that was an intertaining/informative exchange. I got the UE 400 and after some fooling around with it, I am enjoying the non-overpowering and relatively easy to dial in sounds it provides. I placed it in my amps effects loop initially and then plugged straight into the unit and from the unit to my amps input. This allows more direct control of the efects and to me sounds much better. I haven't had the time I would like to spend with it yet, so I'm fishing for some time savers. Generally, what are the typical positions in the effects chain for certain effects and why? Ie. should the chorus/flanger be after the compressor because... Thanks again. E
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby waldo041 » Wed May 10, 2006 6:13 pm

8)
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby ssrythm » Wed May 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Merci doodamus!
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 10, 2006 10:19 pm

ssrythm, I owned a UE and the best starting point is to line them up exactly like they are from left to right straight into the front of the amp.

Here is how I ended up with it:

Guitar > UE for Comp(1) and Dist(2)

FX loop (3) > AMP in and FX send back to UE for

Phaser (4) and chorus (5) back to the AMPs FX return.
strumminsix

Postby ssrythm » Wed May 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Oh yeah! Thanks. I'm an electronics know-nothing...for now. I didn't even think about that option. So basically that is sticking my amps controls and eq after comp and dist yet before the phazer and chorus. Now when I decide on a delay and I want it at the end of the chain, I'll place it between the UE output and the amps FX return? Right!? This is some fun stuff. Since I started playing electric and getting more serious about playing the GD in a manner that would induce the same feelings and inspiration that they brought me, I've played with different effects and it always went
1. Excited about the possibilities 2. Frustrated 'cause I didn't know what the heck I was doing. 3. Frustrated because I was settling with a tone/sound that was NOT Bobby. Since I found this site, its gone from excited to more excited, to inspired to dig into some tunes. My first session with the UE yielded serious progress beyond that of any I've had in years paritcularly with Loser. I can't wait to take it to the band. Thanks again. Stoked, E
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby ssrythm » Thu May 11, 2006 5:56 am

StrumminSix, I just got home and hooked it up like you suggested, and it is killer. Thanks a million. Another equipment question of a different variety...
What's y'alls opinions on leaving your guitars hanging on the type of stand that holds your guitar by the headstock and has just the bumper support that the back of the body rests on? Two of my guitars have inverse or negative bottoms and do not sit in a conventional stand well. It just seems that hanging but the headstock could not be good for the neck, but it is so convenient. Anybody have any adverse long term use experience with this kind of stand? Thanks, E
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 11, 2006 8:23 am

AWESOME!!! Glad to help dude.

Which way did you split it? Comp & Dist before the preamp with Phaser & Chorus in the loop?

Some days I regret selling the UE but it wasn't being used and I have too much invested in gear that isn't being used.

Now when I decide on a delay and I want it at the end of the chain, I'll place it between the UE output and the amps FX return? Right!?

Right!
strumminsix

Postby squire758 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:55 pm

the question you really need to ask yourself is do you want to go old school whick i think is better, or do you want to have all kinds of digital effects which can also achieve a similar sound. when i play other peoples songs or want their sound i want it to be exact. so being a child of the 80's and 90's i went digital. after spending thousands of dollars on my live rig, marshall amps, modeling effect processors and all that crap, i find that i should have saved all that money, got a decent sized tube amp and a couple stomp boxes which is the sound i really want. now im stuck with this huge ass marshall and all these pedals that do nonetheless put out great sound, but are a bitch to move around and program. so if anyone wants to trade some old school stuff for a bunch of new school stuff let me know
squire758
Jester
Jester

UE400

Postby Laytonco » Sat May 13, 2006 9:50 am

Hey SSRYTHM, I juts ordered a UE400 and should have it by Friday. If you have any tips for me, please email me.

Thanks,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby ssrythm » Sat May 13, 2006 10:57 am

Go with how SSix laid it out. Guitar into the UE. Comp in the 1 position; Dist in the 2 position; fx Loop in position 3 out of it into the amps input; then return back to it from Amps send; then phaser in position 4; chorus in position 5 then output of UE to the return on amp. I think that is how I have mine. Im in Alabama attending my sis in-law's graduation this weekend and I was getting confused writing this, but refer to ssix's post. I'm using a Mesa dc-5 and this configuration effectively took my amps eq out of action. Anybody know why? I was looking forward to post eqalizing the distortion, but I really don't need to. Set up like this, it is very easy do dial in all the levels to smoothly transition without much, if any volume jumps of harshness at all.
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Thanks

Postby Laytonco » Sat May 13, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks for the advice! I hope your sis-in-law has a happy graduation!
Laytonco

Previous

Return to The Think Tank