tubes and TV

tubes and TV

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 pm

I searched for this but maybe someone can help. For years I have known not to put tubes by a TV (television) I have an older model Sharp TV. Not HD. after loading gear in the house today I stacked my Trio and RT Reverb and solid state amp. These were in a 6 space case. I just set them on top of a roadcase that was next to the TV. Now the TV after several hours turned pink and green. Its not getting better after I realized what had happened. Moved the rack and Cab away from the TV. :?

So here is the more important part...I dont care if the TV comes back to normal but are my tubes fried? Im in my house and its too late here to fire up the amp and just see so I thought I would ask opinions! Any thoughts? Thanks
jdsmodulus

Re: tubes and TV

Postby dleonard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 pm

same thing happened to me. i only let it last 30 seconds or so before i realized but the tubes were and still are fine, and that was 3 years ago
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 pm

this was at least 4-5 hours only the TV on for about 2!
jdsmodulus

Postby RiverRat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:12 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby tcsned » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 am

yeah, I was going to say that Rat - I had a tv with my home theater speakers too close and it took me a while to figure out why the picture was funky in the corners where the speakers were. I moved them and it cleared up. Magnets are bad mojo for a picture tube.
tcsned

Postby WilliamC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 pm

If you have an older TV with a picture tube there may be a degaussing button on the back panel (possibly recessed). If the TV makes a "poing" sound when you turn it on, that's an automatic degausser in action. Either the botton or a power cycle should clear up the distortion. If not, google something like "how to degauss a TV".

If tubes had a problem in TVs how did TVs work "back in the day"?
WilliamC
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Update! The TV went back to normal. (although I dont consider the TV normal) and the rig started right up took a few minutes to warm up and everything is cool. Thank you for your input! :peas:
jdsmodulus

Return to The Think Tank