warren

warren

Postby spilly » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 pm

I just met Warren Haynes not even an hour ago. He sighned my guitar "Liz Reed" I'm absolutly bugging out. The Mule put on an exellent show by the way, but holy shit. I shook the hand of my hero.

days don't get much better
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby Benthegoodbum » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:44 am

That is a mighty cool thing man. Congrats! If I were to meet my idol it would be Mr. Robert Zimmerman.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Shaggy » Tue May 02, 2006 11:06 am

Why would he sign a guitar "Liz Reed" ?

Shouldn't only Dickey be doing that!? Warren should sign one of his own songs!
Shaggy

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue May 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Shaggy wrote:Why would he sign a guitar "Liz Reed" ?

Shouldn't only Dickey be doing that!? Warren should sign one of his own songs!

I do see what your saying, but....

Who cares, really? He just got his axe signed by his hero...that's a great thing. If Jerry or Trey ever signed my guitar, they could write whatever the fuck they wanted to.

Jerry could write, "I just crapped myself and wiped my butt with my hand and now I'm signing your guitar" and I'd be happy.

I've met Bob in Portland, ME at a show at the State Theater a few years back, and hung out w/ Bruce at a show at the State after he played (he had this "meet & greet" thing & my unlce gave me 6 tickets to it). And check this out: in a span of less than 1 month, I hung out for 6+ hours with Michael Travis of SCI at my buddy's girlfriends house in Westbrook, ME after a show he played with his side project, Zilla. I met Billy Nershi, also of SCI, walking into the Trey show at the Alladdin Theater during the Vegoose Music Fest. I met Michael Kang, of SCI, walking through our hotel at the MGM the night after. And 14 days later or so I met & shot the shit w/ Trey & his new guitarist/keyboardist Les Hall outside this tiny gym he played at up at Bates College in Lewiston, ME. It was a crazy 3-4 weeks of meeting sick musicians. I made a joke to my brother, "Hey, if you want to meet anybody famous, just come hang out with me, I'm on fire!!"

Anyways, meeting people you look up to is ALWAYS a cool experience.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby tigerstrat » Tue May 02, 2006 1:32 pm

Maybe the guitar's name is "Liz Reed"?

"Your rifle's name is 'Charlene'!!"
tigerstrat

Postby spilly » Sun May 07, 2006 9:32 am

yes, the guitars name is liz Reed. When I got her i tuned her up and stummed the first chord of the tune and it sounded great, ergo the name
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby whitelacestrange » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:51 pm

i just saw the allman brothers last night, and all i can say is wow.

haynes and trucks are the best guitarists i ever got to see up close. and both of them are so good and in the same band its incredible! the whole band was spectacular, the bassist and drummers to just shocked me, the whole thing was spectacular.
i didnt get to see gov't mule but i saw derek trucks band, there pretty badass as well. (i had great seats too!)
thats amazing he singed your guitar man, i'd be in aww if i met him.

remindes me of a story my neighbor told me. she got to hang out with the allman brothers backstage one night in the late 80's. she hung out with dickie betts and greg allman and drank their beers, and just got to chill with them. she even saw dickie take greg into the bathroom for like 15 minutes, and when they came out, she said it was fairly obviously they were shooting up.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby nedcat » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:05 pm

Your guitar is now "Property of the Government"
Mule sold seperatly :cool:
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby eyeprod » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:13 pm

i got to interview the late allen woody when he was playing with the allmans back in 93 i think it was. i met him in the mall and we hung out in his hotel room, talked guitars, and he even smoked me out. they gave us backstage passes and we met jaimoe. was standing right next to dickie betts, but didnt recognize him because he was all clean shaven. i wished i would have realized it and shook his hand, DOH. gregg allman was quite elusive after the show but warren came right up and shook my hand, very cordial. that ABB lineup was amazing.
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby HOWEYMAN » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:08 am

The Allmans are a summer show I look foward to every year, but they aren't even stepping foot into Michigan this year. Bummer. Same with SCI. Damb, I seen them a few years ago and they haven't been around since. Yet another bummer.

Anyways, Like all of us, I've thought about what musician I would like to meet and hang out with for a few hours or something. Any of the ones you guys have mentioned would just be sweeet. Imagine taking a all day guitar lesson for Trey or Warren.

Bob Weir would be great to meet and play with also.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:00 am

HOWEYMAN wrote:The Allmans are a summer show I look foward to every year, but they aren't even stepping foot into Michigan this year. Bummer. Same with SCI. Damb, I seen them a few years ago and they haven't been around since. Yet another bummer.

Anyways, Like all of us, I've thought about what musician I would like to meet and hang out with for a few hours or something. Any of the ones you guys have mentioned would just be sweeet. Imagine taking a all day guitar lesson for Trey or Warren.

Bob Weir would be great to meet and play with also.

Head to the 10,000 Lakes Festival!!! It's only 2 states away and there will be plenty of great bands, including SCI! I'm psyched I get to see them this summer, they are a GREAT band. Heading down to Great Woods to see the soon to be infamous "CheeseDog" Tour (Ratdog/SCI). Cant' wait!
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby HOWEYMAN » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:35 am

Head to the 10,000 Lakes Festival!!! It's only 2 states away and there will be plenty of great bands, including SCI! I'm psyched I get to see them this summer, they are a GREAT band. Heading down to Great Woods to see the soon to be infamous "CheeseDog" Tour (Ratdog/SCI). Cant' wait![/quote]

10,000 Lakes festival would be the greatest thing for me right now, unfotrunatley the economic and automobile situation right now is not the greatest. Besides, I would proably have to go alone.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:51 am

I cant say ive ever listened to Gov't mule but I really didnt enjoy haynes with the dead. I thought he did a very poor job and he throws a totally different (mostly dull) feel on all the songs he sings. he did one song good when i saw him and that was built to last
BlobWeird

Postby HOWEYMAN » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:29 am

BlobWeird wrote:I cant say ive ever listened to Gov't mule but I really didnt enjoy haynes with the dead. I thought he did a very poor job and he throws a totally different (mostly dull) feel on all the songs he sings. he did one song good when i saw him and that was built to last

There is little to argue that Warren Haynes is one of the best guitar players out there today. As far as playing with "The Dead" I can understand your opinion and proably agree with you on some of the material. The last time I seen the Allman Brothers play, Warren was unable to play, so someone playing a strat filled in (can't remember his name, Please help) and it was a great show. I thought I would miss him, but I was pleasently surprised.

With The Dead, I believe Bobby and crew were looking to sound just a little different, you know what I mean? They didn't want to recruit a guitar player that sounded like Jerry (Not that anyone could ever replace Jerry). They wanted it same but different. Haynes was a good fit, but on some songs, you are correct, that Jerry sound was missing and nothing else could work.

If The Dead ever tour as The Dead again, I tell you the guitar player they should pick up, is Matt Hartle. I tell you, this guy can rip....and its almost like Garcia is playing through him, yet Matt puts his own feel in it also. If this were to happen, I have to feel that with a well rested Dead, They could put out some of the best post Grateful Dead shows thus far.

My feelings are screw it, don't replace Jerry, Just place someone who plays in his spirit and lets get it going once again before the Boys get older. Again, Matt Hartle is the answer as far as I can tell. Check out some of his live stuff on Archive.org, you will be amazed.

I sure would love to see a classic rendition of "Fire" live instead of that reggae drum version they did live while touring as The Dead. I know its Mickeys song and all, but hell, lets get back to the vibe we all love.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby whitelacestrange » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:45 am

if haynes was out, im sure Derek Trucks did a fine job filling in. he's just as good as hanyes in my opinion. his sound isnt as heavy, but he's just as talented.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Next

Return to The Think Tank