frustrated by my playing... requesting help

which song was played the best? (least worst)

deal
50%
jack-a-roe
No votes
jack straw
No votes
eyes
No votes
mission
No votes
help
50%
franklin's
No votes

Total votes : 2

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Good point Shakedown. I was wondering when someone would bring that up.

The C Mixolydian scale is indeed the 5th (mode) scale degree of the F major scale.

I thought it would be easier to think about it though in terms of the major scale being played (C major in my example - thus F would be the fourth)

What we are talking about (4ths vs 5ths) is the same thing only from two different perspectives.

C is the 5th scale degree of F maj (F(1) G(2) A(3) Bb(4) C(5)). Thus, your point about mixolydian being the 5th mode is true. You would play the F major scale, only C (the 5th) would be your root note (sound familiar?)

but also,

F is the 4th scale degree in C major (C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4)) -- this is what my example was based on.

Basically, the Circle of 5ths is just the circle of 4ths in the other direction.

Aint it neat?

You are absolutely right though, the mixolydian scale is derived by using the 5th scale degree of a major scale. My intention was to make it a little easier to apply on the guitar as opposed to going on an on about music theory nerdiness. Unfortunately, it seems I have just failed miserably in that regard.
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby qiuniu » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:22 pm

From reading what you have written so far I seem to remember a time when I was in your position: bored with everything I knew. I just didn't want to play alot of the time 'cause I was bored all the time. I solved that by playing for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Try putting yourself into the shoes of Jerry, or Bobby or whomever. Try memorizing how to play and sing a hundred songs or so, it'll keep you busy and not bored. I now know so many songs that I can just sit down and play to my mood.

Emerse yourself, you won't be bored anymore.

Check out the 'learning to solo?' thread.

good luck!
"Everybody can dance if they want to, that means everybody...That means you all can dance if you want to, in fact its nicer, there's no point in watching us, we don't do anything we don't normally do." Jerry 01/17/68
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:34 am

HawaiianDedhed wrote:Good point Shakedown. I was wondering when someone would bring that up.

The C Mixolydian scale is indeed the 5th (mode) scale degree of the F major scale.

I thought it would be easier to think about it though in terms of the major scale being played (C major in my example - thus F would be the fourth)

What we are talking about (4ths vs 5ths) is the same thing only from two different perspectives.

C is the 5th scale degree of F maj (F(1) G(2) A(3) Bb(4) C(5)). Thus, your point about mixolydian being the 5th mode is true. You would play the F major scale, only C (the 5th) would be your root note (sound familiar?)

but also,

F is the 4th scale degree in C major (C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4)) -- this is what my example was based on.

Basically, the Circle of 5ths is just the circle of 4ths in the other direction.

Aint it neat?

You are absolutely right though, the mixolydian scale is derived by using the 5th scale degree of a major scale. My intention was to make it a little easier to apply on the guitar as opposed to going on an on about music theory nerdiness. Unfortunately, it seems I have just failed miserably in that regard.

HA! Great stuff! Always nice to get a good laugh right after I wake up. Nice explanation, though. I getcha now.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Previous

Return to The Think Tank