practice

practice

Postby LazyLightnin » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:44 am

hey all. im a beginner soloist. im pretty fluent w/ the major scale up and down the neck, not so w/ the minor since theres less notes or note. in major i kinda just get crazy fingers and i can land on the root in basically any position, but my technique is rather lacking. i try to play different licks of 3-4-5 or even more notes. or just jam over and over and fo the most part i can get to the root in the rigth timing to make it sound somewhat complete. i understand 5ths and how the scale works- but just basically. and im terrible with terminology. i really wanted to do the solo for touch...some of it just came to me when i was playin it the position down by 11th-12 frets. so i checked out the darksaw tabs..and man....it just got ugly.

i practice ascending and descending my major and minor. but i can never exaclty accentuate the way i want to. i can hear it in my head but i cant make it come out on the fret board. i practice that arppegio, and i play natural chords too(is that right?) also i try to slow myself down, but you know.
im at my best playin the cornell scarlet>fire, the b is pretty easy to get used to. also tleo cuz it the same scale but in G. at least its worked for me so far.
im just always dreamin' of these crazy great solos and i have all these ideas (gets tuff @ work)
is there some sorta link im missin here?
how do i make it sound like ive learned something?
sorry if this is a little bland but im tired of goin to jam nights and not feelin comfortable gettin onstage :P

-dan
LazyLightnin

Postby Billbbill » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:14 am

Your second sentence is key.

It sounds like you, like everyone else, want to become more fluent at getting what's in your head to the fretboard. This takes time and practice.

With time you'll begin to internalize intervals (the relationship between notes, ie pitch differences and step distance between). On a smaller scale you've internalized resolving to the root. Think in those terms.

I have a post in "He's Gone" where I attempt to show JG's singing and playing of the blues notes at the end. This is also a good way to internalize intervals. Singing and playing the notes together of anything will help.
Billbbill

Postby Billbbill » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:19 am

Lazy says,

>..or just jam over and over and fo the most part i can get to the root in the rigth timing to make it sound somewhat complete.<

If you're not already, try resolving to the 3rd or 5th; the notes that form the chord. If you're not doing this yet, this should open some doors.
Billbbill

Postby strumminsix » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:42 am

You'll be a better soloist than me.

I can't hear it in my head.

Like Jerry, I'll hear the melody and play that.
Then I'll spice up the melody a bit and play that.

Then, I'm done. Nothing imporvisational comes to mind.

Blues on the other hand, I can improvise all day long.

But rock or country or jam, just can't seem to hear anything.

I guess blues speaks to me more.

But improvisational jamming, no problem. I hear the progessions.
I can feel the flow. Know when to play full guitar chords.
Know when to play triads, when to play any inversion.

Keep practicing is all I can advise.

I work on improvisation for 30 minutes a day.
Sadly, I don't see any improvement at this point.

However, I'm hoping that one day things will click.
strumminsix

Return to The Think Tank