Local Radio

Local Radio

Postby amyjared » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:27 pm

Do any radio stations in your area play the Dead? Is it just the studio stuff (truckin, Uncle John's, etc) or do they ever play live stuff? In Eugene we have Downtown Deb (who was married to Alan Trist for those of you who know who he is) who puts on a great show once a week, playing nothing but live stuff. Other than that, the classic rock station plays a few of the studio hits and that's really it.

PS. I know most of you don't listen to the radio.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:38 pm

News radio and shows only. But in my experience, only the canned GD songs aired: Casy Jones, UJB & Truckin. Every once in a while I'd hear a Friend but that's just about it.
strumminsix

Postby eyeprod » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:40 pm

i think we have at least 2 gd shows around here in arcata, but i dont tune in. i have a load of tapes that suit me fine, and honestly, i've heard some pretty bad (yet highly touted) shows on the air. we also have about 3-5 gd cover bands in town.
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Honolulu has "Midnight with the Dead" on the classic rock station, Saturday at (you guessed it) midnight. Replayed Sunday night at 9pm. They only play live stuff - mostly Dick's Picks and the download series.

I like it mostly because it's just nice to hear the GD on the radio.
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Benthegoodbum » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:43 pm

Here in the middle of New York State I get the Grateful Dead hour every sunday at 5 pm on a station that plays mostly cool music. I rarely remember to listen to it though. There is something nice about hearing the music on the radio though...I mean I never know what song will be next and that adds a bit of flavor to it all. :cool:
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Billbbill » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:15 pm

Here, just outside NYC, I remember at one time a local station carried the gdh. But I believe that isn't happening anymore.

WBAI, the local Pacifica station has a show called morning dew, sat nights from 9:30 to midnight. Predominately the dead but assorted other stuff as well. I think you can stream it here.

http://www.morningdew.us/
Billbbill

Postby ebick » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:17 pm

There's a Deadhead at mlbtv.com.

While on hold (for about an hour.....but that's another story), I heard Dancin' (from Terrapin) and Ripple (from Reckoning).
ebick

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:39 pm

we used to get the dead hour here in chicagoland area on sundays at 9pm, but i have not tuned in a long time. normally the usual same stuff on the radio as everywhere else ie touch, truckin sugar mag, studio stuff. but i did find myself the other day jammin to estimated prophet at WALGREENS! :shock:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

No Dead here

Postby devil » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:56 pm

Here in Central NC there is no dead on the radio. For a time a few years back the dead hour was on but no more. Occasionally the classsic rock and oldies stations here will play a studio songs, the usual suspects. Once I heard a live Knockin' out of no where. Also the local conservative radio show once bumped in to the first 20 secs of iko iko from DP9. That was shocking.

For once I'd love to hear a great Bertha or Morning Dew in the regular rotation. How Naive are these radio execs. Like a good Ramble on Rose would kill ratings or something.
Last edited by devil on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devil
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby spilly » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:21 pm

we get the dead hour on sundays in Buffalo, NY, but we just got a new station last year, I've heard live versions of Playin in the band, St. Steven, Looks like rain, and all sort of ggod stuff at random hours. It's nice. they play all genras and try to avoid the obvious hits. It's good to know that someone still cares about quality music for all audiences.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby jck_strw » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 pm

Here in Raleigh, the local classics station (92.3 out of Greensboro) will accidentally play Truckin' or Sugar Magnolia. Other than that, nothing.

Thankfully, my DirecTV just started carring a bunch of XM radio stations and I can finally hear the Grateful Dead Hour again (on Wed. nights at 11:00pm). It's become quite an event a Casa de Jck_strw.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby yem » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:10 pm

in pittsburgh 96.9 had a dead hour on sundays
unfortuately the station was sold and the new owner doesnt like the dead i guess, so they cancelled the show
yem
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby newcastlek » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:47 am

stuck in stockton, CA. No dead on the air until a classmate and I applied for jobs at the college radiostation. Now there is an hour a week where we play mainly dead, as well as a few other bands, always live versions of songs.
newcastlek
Vince
Vince

Postby b weird » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:39 am

Where I live (in Chestertown NY) we get the Grateful Dead Hour every Sunday night at nine O'clock. The shows that they play are usually really great some times, like not to long ago they played:Lady With a Fan>Terrpin Station>Playin in the Band>Jam>Drums>Space>Truckin>Good Lovin'.That show was from 1/31/78 in case you wanted to know. Another good sow was from 4/1/91 when David Gans played: Dark Star>Space>Drums>Space>Dark Star>Playin in the Band>Black Peter>Turn on Your Lovelight.
b weird

Postby LazyLightnin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 pm

in cleveland here the official "home of rock n roll" dead hour was replaced about 10 years ago with "get the led out"1/2 hour and then 1/2 of mettalica - bleh wmms sux really bad and so does 98.5 classic rocks. all the jockeys are total boners :(
LazyLightnin

Next

Return to The Think Tank