Barre chord help

Barre chord help

Postby amyjared » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:05 pm

I know about "A" barre chord shapes and "E" barre chord shapes, but what are the barre chord shapes called that look like this:

D =
x
x
Bobby seemed to use them quite often and I've only discovered them since watching the Legendary Licks DVD and during Casey Jones, he shows how Bobby utilized them. I also saw Hendrix use them on Wind Cries Mary. Do many of you use these? They seem simple enough to finger but how do they sound for each chord? Any chords better or worse in this fingering? Any specific songs of the boys that you use these instead of others? Any help would be appreciated.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:28 pm

It's a shortcut to a 7th fret barre of:
D =

It yeilds a slightly a different voicing of a D.

As that is played in your example, it is similar to another trademark Bobby move of playin inversions and this is like that since the 1 isn't voiced first instead the 3 is..
strumminsix

Postby amyjared » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:31 pm

It's a shortcut to a 7th fret barre of:
D =

So would that be considered a "G" barre chord, since it's in the open G shape? That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:59 pm

BINGO! According the the CAGED methodology that would be a G-shaped or formed barre chord.

Glad to help.

But don't lose sight of the diffent voicing by leading with the 3rd!

Bobby also loved 1 3 partial chords during moody periods in songs!
strumminsix

Return to The Think Tank