Mixolydian Fingering...

Mixolydian Fingering...

Postby sarraqum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:21 pm

I've been memorising the mixo scale for a while now but I am getting some concerns with my fingering. For example, the first scale in A starting on F#, to get to A on the bottom E string I strech my pinky and that works fine. But the first B scale is giving me trouble. On the bottom E string I use my index finger for F#, middle finger for G# and ring finger instinctively goes for A. Its a bit of a strech and not that comfortable. But using the pinky for A seems to be just as bad, is there a certain way or a technique that you guys know about?
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby strumminsix » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:31 pm

Why not just do it the same way you do a major but just flatten the 7th? Then when you hit the B string (stupid string not tuned in 4ths) just adjust slightly?
strumminsix

Re: Mixolydian Fingering...

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:32 pm

sarraqum wrote: But using the pinky for A seems to be just as bad, is there a certain way or a technique that you guys know about?

use that pinky finger!!! it's a finger too!!

.... though it is shorter then other's

beside if you don't practice with it, it will end up in the wrong place when least needed. or worse, won't do what you ask it.

all kidding aside the pinky is invaluable and should be used even in difficult position's. eventually those position's are not that difficult anymore.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby sarraqum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:51 pm

No no I do try to use the pinky but usually, and especially in the first B mixo scale my ring finger on G# gets in the way.

I like the strumminsix suggestion, going on F# on B. Its a lot easier
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jahozer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:02 pm

You can also start with your pinky and play the relative minor scale in the second position,
For example if you are playing B mixolydian, Start with your pinky on the B 7th fret of the E string and procede to the C#m scale. C# 4th fret A string, D# 6th fret A string, E 7th fret A string, F# 4th fret D string, G# 6th fret D string B 4th fret G string etc. etc.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby sarraqum » Sun May 07, 2006 2:12 pm

I am actually glad this post of mine has been brought back up, thank you whoever you are. I have another question, yet again regarding that damn mixolydian scale

This time its about arpeggios within the mixo scale, so here it goes....

As you may probably already know, arpeggios for A key are hidden within A mixolydian scale and can be found using the old 1,3,5 rule from chord theory. So there I was playing away the arpeggios in the A mixo scale when I suddenly realised I was playing and Em arpeggio E G B....hang on, I thought to myself, doesn't the A scale have E major in it? Shouldn't that be G# and not G?

Flatenned 7th perhaps? And if so, why is G present in mixo scale?
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Return to The Think Tank