jerry and django

jerry and django

Postby fum84 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:18 pm

does anyone else really hear djangos playing alot in jerry? certainly his chord solos are a dead on match.
fum84
tiger
tiger

Postby Shaggy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:11 pm

Jerry has been quoted as saying that he was a big influence on him and that of all the guitarists he ever heard he was the best.

I can hear lots of him in Jerry's playing, I am prepared to stick my neck out and say that Jerry was the most interesting, original, fluid and soulful soloist since Django Reinhardt.

Listen to Garcia play Russian Lullaby off Compliments and Back Home In Indiana from those same sessions.
Shaggy

Postby fum84 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:52 pm

yeah definatly with russian lullaby
fum84
tiger
tiger

Postby Shaggy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:08 am

Actually as the story goes with Russian Lullaby, Jerry heard that perfromed by a great swing guitarist called Oscar Aleman who was from Argentina. He was lesser known than Django at the time but no less brilliant, some say he was even better. So Garcia copied the version he heard Aleman play.

Jerry introduced the music of Aleman to David Grisman who I think then got some rights to some of his recordings and put out a couple of albums worth on his Dawg label.

Interesting stuff.
Shaggy

Postby jck_strw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:38 am

As a side note to this, if people like Django, there's a great guitarist that does Django style (and actually "played" Django in a recent movie [too early to remember]). His name is John Jorgenson. I saw him for the first time last year at Merlefest and he blew me away. If you get a chance, pick up his album, Franco American Swing. Amazing stuff.

http://www.johnjorgenson.com/html/home.html
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Return to The Think Tank