Kenny Archive

Kenny Archive

Postby mutant_dan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 pm

Let me start by saying that I thought long and hard about making this public. I really didn't want to ruffle any feathers but I have determined that all posts in this forum are considered public domain. Thus, they can be copied freely and used for whatever you like.

Here is the pay off, I was able to dredge most of Kenny's posts out of the google cache and posted them at the following location:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/KennysArchive/

What I posted is complete in the sense that every topic Kenny created is listed and all the responses.

The cache feature of Google didn't have enough time to discover his most recent responses to specific posts.

If you are familiar with yahoo groups, navigation is pretty easy. You don't have to join the group to access the posts.

Enjoy.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby phpbb » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:57 pm

The registration agreement does say that all posts here are public domain, and Google's cache is a great example of why.

ps - I love the image at the top....
phpbb

Postby jck_strw » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:04 pm

Good job mutant_dan. It's a good start on getting Kenny's information back. You're not going to ruffle any feathers. The information is already out there and was/is in the public domain.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby mutant_dan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:16 pm

If anyone wants to try and dredge additional information out of Google here is the technique I used.

Go to:

http://www.google.com/

and search for Chalk Talk Kenny rukind

replace 'chalk talk' with whatever topic you would like to find.

Look for the search result that includes view topic, and click on cached on the far right.

If you find something that you feel should be in the archive, let me know the search parameters and I will include it. Or you can join the yahoo group and post it yourself.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jck_strw » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:22 pm

An even better way to do it is this:

Do a Google search on Kenny. Use the keywords site:rukind.com. So you're search box will have the following:

kenny site:rukind.com

The 'site' keyword in a Google search restricts the search to whatever site you specify.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ke ... gle+Search
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby mutant_dan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:29 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the tip jck-strw.

Might want to copy some of these responses that I didn't find earlier before the Google spybot grabs a more recent snapshot and writes over the cache.

jck_strw wrote:An even better way to do it is this:

Do a Google search on Kenny. Use the keywords site:rukind.com. So you're search box will have the following:

kenny site:rukind.com

The 'site' keyword in a Google search restricts the search to whatever site you specify.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ke ... gle+Search
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:40 am

Hello,

My name is Adrianna and the individual you knew as
kenny and d and Pat and Dale often used my computer
to post different ideas, etc. Some may remember me
answering a pm you might have sent.I knew kenny
from years back when he gave me vocal and piano
lessons for a few years with great effect. I convinced
him to come on here and post as an idea for learning
which I thought the site was about but this is rather
disgusting and reflects an image of desperate hobbyists instead of musicians or aspiring ones.
If anything is ever present in his lessons it was the
idea of teaching oneself and that being the greatest
of learnings and teachings. I'm really rather
disappointed and this why I posted myself.
Maybe I'll lure kenny back some day but he will be
gone for sometime. I feel what information was not
retained from his posts by learning is better forgotten. Music isn't a series of secrets or ideas
to be obtained it's much much more than that.

Adrianna
Kenny
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby shakedown_04092 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:08 pm

what the hell happened to kenny anyways??? all of his posts read "red". i don't get it....
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby Robey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:58 pm

A- Unfortunately, what your post and Kenny's post does not detail is the exact negativity which you describe.

My viewing of the forums always showed that Kenny's posts were very much appreciated, as evidenced by the folder entitlted "Explanation."

Your post does not provide very much detail which provides some enlightentment on Kenny's exit from teh forum.
Robey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby ebick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Kenny wrote:Hello,

My name is Adrianna and the individual you knew as
kenny and d and Pat and Dale often used my computer
to post different ideas, etc. Some may remember me
answering a pm you might have sent.I knew kenny
from years back when he gave me vocal and piano
lessons for a few years with great effect. I convinced
him to come on here and post as an idea for learning
which I thought the site was about but this is rather
disgusting and reflects an image of desperate hobbyists instead of musicians or aspiring ones.
If anything is ever present in his lessons it was the
idea of teaching oneself and that being the greatest
of learnings and teachings. I'm really rather
disappointed and this why I posted myself.
Maybe I'll lure kenny back some day but he will be
gone for sometime. I feel what information was not
retained from his posts by learning is better forgotten. Music isn't a series of secrets or ideas
to be obtained it's much much more than that.

Adrianna

Boy.......I don't think I could disagree with this more. So as long as Kenny wanted to stick around, it was ok for the thoughts and ideas to remain, but when he decided to leave, you're a desparate hobbyist if you didn't commit it all to memory?

The great thing about this country is that people are allowed to say what they want. Sometimes, they say really good things. Sometimes they say mean and hurtful things. I don't know the particulars of what was written to Kenny this go 'round, but listen, my last name is Bick......ya don't think I heard'em all growin' up? But as an adult, we have to be able to rise above such immaturity and not feed into it. Kenny (and you) had the ability to ignore any pm's that you didn't feel were appropriate to answer. And further, if there were truly offensive or threatening items, they could have been reported to phpp who would have dealt with it.

I think Kenny has some great ideas, but I also think he has some issues. I hope he can address them. Until then, unless he can play by the rules and not resort to running and taking his toys with him any time somebody says something that offends, I would prefer that he not post here.
ebick

Postby spilly » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:41 am

to me this all seems rather strange. I share my knowledge with people as an obligation to humanity. in order to progress as a society we must share and work together on new or recycled ideas.
the same goes with music. I have a couple of student (on various instruments) i do not charge any money for these lessons because i feel that music is art to be shared, not bought.
Teaching is noble thing, unfortunatly not everybody will agree with what and how you teach.
taking back your teachings to me is a form of giving up.

some could even look at it as selfish
i didn't pay to much attention to Kennys teachings.
i simply scrolled through them to see if there was anything i didn't know, or if there was anything i could help elaborate on.
i didn't learn anything from Kenny, having already gained this knowledge from others before i discovered this site.

as for getting of topic in our post, well, music revolves around life and life revolves around music. If all you ever talk about or do is play music, you'll never have anything to play about.

if somebody steps on my toes i pick up my instument and i play out my anger. I they persist maybe i'll step back a little bit. what i wouldn't do is try to punish everybody who was standing in the room.

you guys really seemed to rely and appreciate Kennys teachings. some of you might even have thought of him as something of a mentor.

Personaly, i don't care because what i got out of kenny was conversation, not new information. He obviously has the right to remove himself from the site, i just hope that wherever he is and whatever his problems, he someday relizes that by removing all his lessons he let alot of you guys down.

as far as it goes, with or without Kenny's posts.
there are alot a knowledgable people on this site. ask your questions and I'm sure you'll get some accurate answers from some people that are still willing to share.

don't think on this shit to much. Somepeople have their own personal demons that have nothing to do with music.

just a thought from someones whos seen too much, too quick, too soon.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby phpbb » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:19 am

His name is Bick, as in the guy who tabbed out all of the music, has given them to us for free, for all to learn. He's never asked for anything except to leave him with full editorial control of the tabs (except deleting).

That is the spirit that this site is about.

Looking over Kenny's quotes, I think he'd disagree with you Adrianna:

Here are a few examples of quotes he put in his posts:

"If I have sped up your journey and made the instrument more fun then I am truly pleased. " - Kenny

"When I die just keep playing the records." Jimi Hendrix

"I've presented some patterns of 4 ideas already and
I can present some more. but if your taught the ideas behind it. You'll be much better." - Kenny

Kenny also made it clear that he has some issues. D exposed some issues to us and Kenny wrote within the last year that his dog had died and that his eyes were going bad.

Kenny also wrote at times he felt unwelcome. If this is due to some Negative Private Messages, I need to know about them. But if you are not into the PM deal, don't click on the hyperlink (I can't make PM an option yet). I too get lots of negative emails and PM's. Some I totally deserve and consider it a slap back to reality, some are totally insane. Those, I laugh at and throw away.

Publically, thought, I can only find one case of someone openly "criticizing" Kenny. And that was someone who created an account called "rukidding.com" and posted the head beating himself against the wall.

I want to live in a world where we share and grow.
phpbb

Postby ebick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:14 am

Ya know, last night, after I posted my response to Adrianne, I was thinking back to how and why this site began.

I've always been the jack of all trades, master of none kind of guitarist. That is to say that I knew what others would describe as incredible amounts of songs off the top of my head, but never spent so much time with any one song as to know it as well as many other much better players.

It would frustrate me when I would forget part or all of a song or a lick that I knew at one time.

In the late 80's I worked for a small, but forward thinking bank who was one of the 1st to have a web-site. As part of the deal with the ISP, 10 of us got e-mail accounts and each one came with a modest amount of space for a web-site. I knew that I wanted to learn HTML, but struggled with what to do.

One day I was looking at my stacks of paper with written or typed lyrics and chords, and voila!

Why am I telling you this?

Because the whole point was not to build what this site has become......that was just a surprising and wonderful by-product. The point was to have, as George Carlin once put it....."A place for my stuff". I figured it would always be there, and as long as I could get an internet connection, I could get to it.......no need to carry papers around.

So when Kenny takes his posts down because he doesn't want to participate anymore........well, as phpbb put it, that TRULY goes against everything that this site is about.

Party on Garth!
ebick

Postby phpbb » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am

I remember getting my first left handed banjo and searching "Altavista" or "WebCrawler" for Grateful Dead music and finding Ed's site. I was also starting my first failed company and had a fat internet connection.

When Ed wrote that he was getting slammed and had to take down the site, he asked a few of us if we were interested in taking the tabs, and I decided that I could host them for the same reasons (I wanted access to the tabs). I wasn't the only one who got them, but, for whatever the reason, I seem to be the only one left standing.

Since then, my big fat internet connection (and my company) went away. I've been hosting this thing in the basement of my homes or in the closet of my apartment. Whenever I moved (to apartments and homes) I had to make sure I could get interent connection, and have everything set up before I got there so the site could stay up. I've delt with the Chinese taking the site down, replaced multiple routers, having my wife and friends reboot the router, etc. In short, in personal time and actual cost, it may be free to you, but it ain't to me.

So, when people like Kenny, and the rest of you all come around and contribute, it makes me feel like its all worth it - that we are all contributing our little part (some more than others) to make this site what it has become. I guess I thought that people could see the good intentions of this site and that was partly the motivator of visiting. I get bummed out when people just want to consume the information simply because it is there, without a shared vision of why we all come here. That vision to me includes a distant memory of some of the best times of my life driving to, and seeing the Grateful Dead play music.
phpbb

Postby mutant_dan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:07 am

red
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Next

Return to The Think Tank