Tempo/ Strumming and Keeping Time.

Tempo/ Strumming and Keeping Time.

Postby Shaggy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Does anyone have any hints or little tips of exercises or things to try to improve your strumming in terms of a tempo and keeping good time.

Thanks...
Shaggy

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:32 pm

practice to a metronome.
tigerstrat

Postby Billbbill » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:22 pm

Play along with the songs. It covers a bunch of bases. Helps with timing and depending on your ear, helps with scales, chords etc.
Billbbill

Postby Shaggy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks guys for your replies.

I've been really trying to break out of the mold lately and try and nail a few songs of my own, trying to write a few. I kept hitting a stumbling block which seemed to be my timing or maybe my strumming seems boring to me so i'm not getting the best out of my chord progressions. Since then I have really sat down and started to work on some strumming techniques - bluesgrass/country style and learning how to jazz it up a bit and im finding it really helps. The moral of the story is getting out of my comfort zone and putting to bed some of the stuff i was playing all day and every day. I'm really just starting to learn that once you've learned something you need to move on, there is always something else to discover.

A point on the metronome, I dont have one and never have played with one. You recommend it?

Thanks guys...
Shaggy

Postby qiuniu » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:50 pm

Drum machine can really help and its not as boring as a metronome.

That's how I learned the ins and outs of rhythm: played with a drum machine for 2-3 hours everyday for 2 weeks. Never had a problem after that.

These days people have things like Garage Band that has quite a few different pre-set loops so you can have a lot more fun than I did.
qiuniu
Brent
Brent

Postby spilly » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:23 pm

I posted a lesson called fingerpicking 101 a little while back, it's a basic bluegrass pattern. i recomend this type of playing to work on your timing. the rotating bassline always seemed to keep me on the ball.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby fum84 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:33 pm

play some reggae tunes. once you can do that other strummings seem easier.
fum84
tiger
tiger

Postby Dozin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:40 pm

learn to strum in a figure 8 patern. It's a 4 beat strum. It helps a lot with timing.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby ch0ke » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:13 pm

Dozin wrote:learn to strum in a figure 8 patern. It's a 4 beat strum. It helps a lot with timing.
What's that im not familiar with this?
My eyes are lost in the wind but the horse still guides me
ch0ke
TC
TC

Postby sarraqum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:58 am

Try using this site:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_chords_jam.php

Its basically like a drum machine only with chords, I find it quite useful when practising the scales. Just put in the chords you want, choose the tempo and you're set to go.
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby knip » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:20 pm

I always tap my foot. If I feel myself losing the rhythm, I tap it bigger; sometimes I stomp.

Helps to train the mind to do two things at once, too.
knip
rukind?
rukind?

Postby jahozer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:55 pm

The moral of the story is getting out of my comfort zone and putting to bed some of the stuff i was playing all day and every day. I'm really just starting to learn that once you've learned something you need to move on, there is always something else to discover

That is an excellent point. Yes!!! We all, well me anyway, tend to put on little performances for ourselves. It feels good to play what you know. It feels awful to play what you dont. The mind doesnt like feeling awkward and foolish while learning. But it takes that to learn and break through.
If I am living right, I try to figure out something new, and only then do I reward myself with something I know and play well.

As for a metronome, check out
http://www.wholenote.com
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby spilly » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:44 pm

I slightly disagree
the best thing in the world is playing what you don't know, because it means you've just learned something
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby Shaggy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:20 am

That is what he/she said spilly.
Shaggy

Return to The Think Tank