Jerry Garcia Practice Routine

Postby High Peaks » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:36 am

I usually start with the melody lines and go from there. I also find the chromatic scale really helps me to find those missing notes that made Jerry, well, Jerry!!!
High Peaks

Postby Phatboy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:25 pm

jerry didnt have a practice routine. Maybe in the beginning. Ive read interviews by him and jerry said he basically practices scale patterns and arpeggios. Hes mainly a pick attack guy. Thats where alot of his tone comes from. I would suggest using a very heavy pick like the dunlop jazz 3 to get sum fat jerry tone.
Phatboy

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:32 pm

Phatboy wrote:jerry didnt have a practice routine. Maybe in the beginning. Ive read interviews by him and jerry said he basically practices scale patterns and arpeggios. Hes mainly a pick attack guy. Thats where alot of his tone comes from. I would suggest using a very heavy pick like the dunlop jazz 3 to get sum fat jerry tone.

NO ONE asked what jerry's practice routine was. the original poster asked what practice routines he could use to play in jerry's style. also you contradict your own statement in saying he doesn't have a practice routine, then state he practices scale patterns and arpeggio's. furthermore no one asked in this thread where his tone comes from or what suggestion of pick you would suggest. please read the thread before you hijack it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby CaptainTrips » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Its been said before, but arpeggios, into one another and in and out of scales and . . . pretty much knowing where any chord is at any time.

CAGED is a great system, takes some time to get used to. Usually what I do is take it one position at a time. Then I link that position to scales/modes and then come to another CAGED position and go from there. Tons of fun.

Id highly recommend a loop pedal. It allows you not only to have rhythm to play behind but to play it back and critique your note selection, dynamics and overall feel.
CaptainTrips

Postby jonarobb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Pete B. wrote:
Chuckles wrote:
For the CAGED system (which I haven't really bought into), go to the Think Tank Archives.

'Just curious, what's not to buy into?

The Scales overlay directly on top of the Chord Forms, no?

Here is the CAGED sight that was most helpful to me:
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/major-caged/index.php

This vid demonstrates the half-step bend-back-up-to-the-original-note Jerry-ism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnomJd1OG6U

fwiw, Pretty much all of these vids are based on the CAGED system:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... erFace&p=r

Pete, that diminished lick in the Mississippi Half Step video is TASTY! Nice...
jonarobb

Postby astroman99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:44 am

jonarobb wrote:
Pete B. wrote:
Chuckles wrote:
For the CAGED system (which I haven't really bought into), go to the Think Tank Archives.

This vid demonstrates the half-step bend-back-up-to-the-original-note Jerry-ism:

Pete, that diminished lick in the Mississippi Half Step video is TASTY! Nice...

That diminished run sounds like it would fit perfectly in George Benson's Nature Boy
astroman99

Postby paulinnc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:17 pm

I am taking some lessons right now and this is the kind of stuff I'm working on. I don't play everyday but I am starting to get back into it. Boards like this one are helpful on so many levels. Thanks guys. Also don't get discouraged if you don't nail it in a day or two. I found that I understand theory in tiny bits and pieces. It's funny because some real easy stuff will go right over my head and other times more technical stuff will make perfect sense. As far as Jerry's practicing goes, from what I have read and heard he practiced all the time. He was always playing, unless he was on a nod, but I won't go there.
I also have to remember that this is for fun and to not get to wrapped up in having to get it right EVERY time. I mean Jerry played guitar for like 40 years or something so I got a ways to go before I catch up.
paulinnc

Postby Chuckles » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Pete B. wrote:
Chuckles wrote:

Guess I should have said "haven't DUG into" instead. Just don't really get it and have been playing too long to learn a new approach.

But I'm always looking to pick up licks, and those vids are great!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby jackr » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:37 am

CaptainTrips wrote:
Id highly recommend a loop pedal. It allows you not only to have rhythm to play behind but to play it back and critique your note selection, dynamics and overall feel.

+1!

The loop pedal has become my best friend for practicing. There are many very simple tunes like Fire on the Mountain and Franklin's tower that you can loop in about 15 seconds to start off. Also loop some 12 bar blues. Then you can be free to try anything and see how it sounds and make correction.

Also Jerry used a lot of chordal melodies so learn and practice playing chords as simple triads (3 notes only) or two note chords.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Re: Jerry Garcia Practice Routine

Postby trking8 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:41 am

i guess this post is a little late at the dinner table, but..

been seriously getting into chromatics, esp. quadruplet pulloffs.

my starting point is usually the melody and the signature riff, then variations of those.

peace out,

terry
trking8
Billy
Billy

Postby NashvilleMike » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 am

I have found that the better I learn the fret board and the more I work on scales and modes the better my guitar playing. The key, I believe, is the work. Jerry as well as Page, Clapton, King, Guy, Weir, Carlos, Jimi and anyone else you care to name spent 1000's of hours practicing to produce those few magical moments on stage. You must do the work. There is no shortcut or magic pill. It is the journey that has merit not the destination. Or as Ringo said "You know it don't come easy".

Any pros care to back me up?
It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
NashvilleMike
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:53 am

NashvilleMike wrote:I have found that the better I learn the fret board and the more I work on scales and modes the better my guitar playing. The key, I believe, is the work. Jerry as well as Page, Clapton, King, Guy, Weir, Carlos, Jimi and anyone else you care to name spent 1000's of hours practicing to produce those few magical moments on stage. You must do the work.

I'm not asking what Jerry's style is rather how do I practice certain aspects ......efficiently ... looking for something a little more substantive than " work on scales and modes ..." .
I pretty much play solo's thru chord shapes up and down the neck.
Sprinkled in with Major/minor stuff ....
I take any old key and work it up and down the neck.
BUT - instead of me running scales straight does anyone have a different approach to working 'em ?
Arpeggio's ?
Any one got a routine already for learning 'em ?
I know you brainiac's out there got some good stuff for me.
I know some guys out there know how to approach things from a different angle.
Anyone got a handle on Jerry's pre bend and release thing while holding another note .....
By the time my ear hears what he is doing I will 90 ....
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby trking8 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:24 am

a few suggestions, bud;

1) chromatics - - I'm dead serious (pun intended).

every day, do a really healthy dose of straight chromatics; start with the root, take it up and down an octave. personally, it forces me to relax, with no unnecessary movements. after that, pick random places and move it up and down.

I can't believe it took me this long to hear it. when you listen to jerry, listen to the chromatics - - they're ALL over the place.

2) swing triplets. do the same scales you're currently doing, but take them up and down one string in a swing triplet

3) pick a simple BB King riff to play along with. keep playing the same phrase over and over until you nail the bend. i'ts a good contrast to playing all the tiny notes and scales. also, he has a tremendous sense of melody and timing, and he does his fair share of arpeggios

4) take your best riff or two and play it in a less familiar part of the fret board. I'm starting (starting) to get a fair sense of where the scales are up and down the neck, but I still have heavy prejudices on where some riffs are easy to play. if it doesn't feel comfortable, then you're doing the right thing.

it's like strength training; sometimes you have to surprise your muscles with a different routine.

good luck, man. we all hit these spots and it's great to have a community like this to share ideas.

terry
trking8
Billy
Billy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 am

Teach me about Triplets please
How do I count them ?
Are they 3 notes per beat ?
Terry
I have gotten some good stuff from your vids
Thanks !
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby trking8 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 am

thanks - - I hope they help a little. one of the earlier vids covers triplets; I'll have to poke around to find it. lots of fun, actually.

thanks,

t
trking8
Billy
Billy

PreviousNext

Return to The Think Tank