Pick-ups for Fender Strat...

Pick-ups for Fender Strat...

Postby bucketorain » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:48 am

just wondering if anyone had some thought on what would be good a good pick-up upgrade for my 67 reissue?
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:08 am

"Good" upgrade?
I got some kind of re-issue Strat.40th anniversary or something.
Anyway, when I was doing originals, I had a Pearly Gates humbucker put in the bridge.Hot pick up for sure!
Now I've been on doing the Dead thing the last couple of years and its a little too hot for that stuff.
It has a push/pull so you get the single coil thing too.
Anyway dont do what I did and not think about how my new pick up was gonna mix with the old ones.
They arent matched very well.
Pearly gates has way more output then the stock jobs the Strat came with.
But hey thats what Strats are for:Chopping up and modding!
Good luck! :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:57 am

yeah you definitely don't want to mix high-output pups with "vintage"(read:"low") output pups.

but your question is pretty general and there are tons of different pups. do you have a target sound?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby bucketorain » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:41 pm

tigerstrat wrote:yeah you definitely don't want to mix high-output pups with "vintage"(read:"low") output pups.

but your question is pretty general and there are tons of different pups. do you have a target sound?

i'm looking for something rich and full....then again, how do i know what sound i want...i definitely want to keep a vintage sound with great tone.
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby dpmphoto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Try jason lollar pickups pricey but hey if there good enough for richards and clapton.Oh not trying to start a conflict here or anything but pearly gates are not that hot compared to other humbuckers,warren haynes and dicky both use pearly gates and I've had many sets good for the vintage les paul sound.
dpmphoto
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:00 pm

What do you pickups sound like now?
What do you want differently?

I like Lace Sensor pickups but I don't like Strats per say.

dpmphoto wrote:Try jason lollar pickups pricey but hey if there good enough for richards and clapton.Oh not trying to start a conflict here or anything but pearly gates are not that hot compared to other humbuckers,warren haynes and dicky both use pearly gates and I've had many sets good for the vintage les paul sound.

Pearly Gates rock! They are, IMO on the slightly hotter side but definately not "hot".
strumminsix

Postby alcorelectric » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:09 pm

Below is an article I found very interesting.
Also, some of these manufactures will custom wind at about the same cost as off the shelf.They may also have some sound clips to help you decide.
T

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/ ... art_1.html
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Revv23 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:03 am

i have kinman 69's in my strat. Extremly happy with them; makes my strat night and day better then the stock ones. My mexi sounds better then the $1500 clapton strat at GC. :)

The 69's are a bit hotter then normal strat pickups; if you are looking for classic vinatage strat sounds, kinman has a set for that too. I find i can nail alligator jerry tone with a fender amp and these pickups.
Revv23
TC
TC

Postby mrMix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:25 pm

I have a set of Fralins and love them.
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby China Cat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:55 pm

i have a fender Am Dlx strat that came stock with Fender Samarium CObalt Noiseless pickups. theyre sweet! dead silent, smooth, clear, and a little ballsier than standard single coils.theyre a little pricey but theyre perfect
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby High Peaks » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 pm

I have some hot rails and a Seymour hot sc. They are pretty hot sounding pickups. Depending on what type/or era you are playing these sound pretty good.
High Peaks

Postby milobender » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 pm

I make my own, with a Jason Lollar inspired machine :D

The ones I'm using now, are low output, "vintage" type, all close to 6K ohms. The lower the resistance, the cleaner the tone (up to a point)... If you know what type of tone you want, you can taylor the pup output. Contact me off board if you want talk about making some.

I've made some nice sounding P90s too.
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby razmablues » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:14 pm

anyone tried strats with super 2's?
razmablues
Mickey
Mickey

Postby spilly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:46 am

me and a buddy of mine did some work on his strat not to long ago, he had seymour duncans, and they sounded good, but not quit warm enough. We wound up putting in a pair of Texas Humbucker 2s. That was good, it gave off a Stevey Ray sound, but what really made the difference was we sheilded the inside of the instrument with copper lining. This, while not only sheilding the guitar from interference, made the guitar sound really nice and warm, as it added extra weight and resonance.

all in all it's a great sounding guitar
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby High Peaks » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:41 am

I have 2 super II's in my strat with a sds-1 in the neck. It sounds good
High Peaks

Next

Return to The Think Tank